Derby in Tassi

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Hahaha, I may or may not live right near that old forestry road off of Mutual Road... which puts you onto Krushkas, but it's not a rideable trail. Yet.
I know where your place is and can see that logging track on Hambo-maps.

Guessing it would be steep.

Is that through the cleared section before everyone got tree hugging and stopped the logging in Derby ?

pixelpuppet

Likes Dirt
Is that through the cleared section before everyone got tree hugging and stopped the logging in Derby ?
While that area isn't as clear in person as it is in those mapping images you can still get up there pretty easily... but it's probably a 30 degree gradient in places so would need some serious switchbacks to make it workable... let me know when you're keen for a working bee hahaha

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
Question
If looking at a trip to Derby later this year, is self shuttle an option for black stump? See conflicting reports, but on here it sounded like it was fine (but local operators might be a bit cranky)?
We would probably have a full car. Not like I’d be doing 1 bike shuttles.

teK--

Eats Squid
Question
If looking at a trip to Derby later this year, is self shuttle an option for black stump? See conflicting reports, but on here it sounded like it was fine (but local operators might be a bit cranky)?
Just be prepared for congestion and be super careful. You want to be confident not only driving forward but also reversing up narrow gravel road if you have to backup to give way to a shuttle trailer. Last time we went we were forced off the road by someone self shuttling, and the trailer nearly rolled off the side of the hill.

ozzybmx

Make sure your cb is on channel, learn and voice the way points.
Ask the shuttle crew for a CB call list, theres a few points that are important that are not signed... especially Cascade Cottage about 400m from the main street, on the bend before the hookey drive to Trail View house, then another called Blind Corner which is not on the list.

If you become a shuttle slut and work with the operators, they are 100%.

They also like when you pick up some dick with no CB and call the both of you through.

Grab a 5W handheld, it will pick up the whole shuttle road.

ozzybmx

Call it through as "'private at trail view coming up', or if you pick a noob up, ' 2 privates at jump trail coming up, I don't think they have radio'... just remember the other noob cant hear.

pixelpuppet

Likes Dirt
Question
I'm one of the shuttle drivers for UDA here in Derby (side hustle haha), and it's absolutely no problem if you'd like to self shuttle.
It's "advised" you have a radio, but it's not the law as it's just a stretch of public road. If you do have a radio, jump on channel 38 and just call the markers as you go, the signs at each marker tell you what to say (but it's a good idea to also call 'blind corner' between 2/ Trail View House and 3/ Jump Trail Crossing. Anyone on their way UP has right of way so bear that in mind, but otherwise be courteous, be kind, don't speed as a lot of riders are using the shuttle road at the moment (due to closure of lower Hazy and lower AYG). If in doubt just ask a shuttle driver if you can shadow them, they're all pretty cool kids.

Last edited:

pixelpuppet

Likes Dirt
Is Jeremy still there... driving for everybody ? He's a member here, wears a different shuttle company tee every day of the week :)
Yo! Yeah Jez is still here but he's left Vertigo and is currently manning the guns for Bark Off Biking (near the pub... coincidence, I think not) and also driving the buggies for Premium. He is still a legend, it's been confirmed.

ozzybmx

Yo! Yeah Jez is still here but he's left Vertigo and is currently manning the guns for Bark Off Biking (near the pub... coincidence, I think not) and also driving the buggies for Premium. He is still a legend, it's been confirmed.
About 2018-19 I picked him up, riding the black stump shuttle road about 6pm.... fck I was 6-7 pints deep. He's like you're ozzybmx from the forum :)

I think 2020-21 I just arrived a day or two and seen him at the pub, he'd just arrived from QLD to live in Derby. 2022 he's part of the furniture there, was driving for Vertigo, Premium and Tailored Trails to get a full weeks work in. He's a good lad !

ozzybmx

(I know, I know, shuttle bunny was driving)
Exactly... bunny to the end. That woman has driven us up that road over 5-6 visits and more than 60 days in Derby, over 100 times.

She is the ultimate shuttle slut... complains about everyone without radios, #1 friend of the shuttle companies.

I have driven it twice ever, once to drop her and the kids off, flew down to the bottom. #1 son arrives, mum fell off 200m from the top and is broken, second time was just after he arrived to go pick her up again.

Straight to Scottsdale Hosp, then to Launceston ER... next day, black and blue with bruises to (seriously) 50% of her body, including a black eye, black cheek and a fractured cheek bone, she was back on the shuttle job :cool:

Last edited:

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Exactly... bunny to the end. That woman has driven us up that road over 5-6 visits and more than 60 days in Derby, over 100 times.

She is the the ultimate shuttle slut... complains about everyone without radios, #1 friend of the shuttle companies.
She's a keeper!

I have driven it twice ever, once to drop her and the kids off, flew down to the bottom. #1 son arrives, mum fell off 200m from the top and is broken, second time was just after he arrived to go pick her up again.

Straight to Scottsdale Hosp, then to Launceston ER... next day, black and blue with bruises to (seriously) 50% of her body, including a black eye, black cheek and a fractured cheek bone, she was back on the shuttle job :cool:
Eek, ouch! :(

teK--

Eats Squid
Just be prepared for congestion and be super careful. You want to be confident not only driving forward but also reversing up narrow gravel road if you have to backup to give way to a shuttle trailer. Last time we went we were forced off the road by someone self shuttling, and the trailer nearly rolled off the side of the hill.
Thought I'd share the photos to show what happens when the road is not wide enough. When the bus started tipping over, by instinct everyone put on their helmets and jumped on the opposite side of the bus!

Everyone then sat on the high side of the trailer whilst we unloaded the bikes first from the outer side first, followed by the inner side. A local with a big tractor ended up pulling the bus out.

IMG_20210308_094330.jpg

IMG_20210308_095314.jpg