Most Bulletproof Wheelset

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Any suggestions on the most bulletproof wheel set, where weight is not an issue.

The eMates I ride with have systematically destroyed everything that they’ve fitted including Light Bicycle, eThirteens, various Bonteagers and a few others.

It’s almost like fitting regular bike components to a bike with significantly more weight and speed is not a good idea.

I suggested Hope Pro 4s built up with Stans Flow EX3, with 36 spokes.

I haven’t ridden DT Swiss since the 2000s, but maybe FR560s as a rim choice could be an option?

Other options might be the Hunt DH rims, Nextie DH or Santa Cruz Reserve DH rims.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jabubu

let you google that for me
I have no experience with them but these guys seem to rate them - DT Swiss FR541

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Don't know about real-world lifespans/strength, but the Zipp Moto 3zero wheels sound like they'd take an almighty beating (but with a price-tag to match).

Or what about running inserts for some pinch-flat protection?

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Don't know about real-world lifespans/strength, but the Zipp Moto 3zero wheels sound like they'd take an almighty beating (but with a price-tag to match).

The above rim destruction has been with full cushcore.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
You need to buy something first.
I remember there used to be a guy on here with a Ragley hardtail that used to piss and moan about wanting a new bike but not being able to afford it. He used to get quite sad when people gave him the Joe Hockey "Why not just get a better job (or have more money)?" response. Maybe he just didn't have the money at the time.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I remember there used to be a guy on here with a Ragley hardtail that used to piss and moan about wanting a new bike but not being able to afford it. He used to get quite sad when people gave him the Joe Hockey "Why not just get a better job (or have more money)?" response. Maybe he just didn't have the money at the time.
I'm glad we didn't get taken on the journey of buying not one but TWO new bikes

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title

I've heard a bit about these being pretty flexy, so may not be the best for this application?

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Dt or Stan's seem to be up there for DH and strong wheelsets on regular bikes.

If weight really doesn't matter, look to some ebike vids and info online as weight really doesn't matter but lasting while a 130kg noob-plow sends it through a rock garden on a 25kg bike does.

Jabubu

I remember that guy too - he ended up saving up and actually buying stuff instead of talking about it.

Jabubu

I've heard a bit about these being pretty flexy, so may not be the best for this application?
That's a how they're supposed to work - quick excerpt from The Loam Wolf (based on Zipp's marketing of course) -

"What makes these wheels unique is that the design allows the rims to pivot from either side of the spoke bed. This means that as the bike is rolling over uneven terrain or angled obstacles, the edge of the rim will comply and flex with the impact or terrain. Zipp calls this “Ankle compliance,” and if you think about how a runner’s ankle flexes as they run around a flat turn, it is much the same with these wheels."

Jabubu

Probably because everyone got sick of him using forums as google and banned him
Gosh, I had no idea forums weren't designed to bring together people and allow them to converse in an exchange of knowledge. My bad.

Anyhoo - @Lucaw will hopefully be buying a bike soon as he was close to buying the one I helped with in Cairns (which ultimately didn't go ahead).