How to buy a car

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Our car is cooked. We've spent a ton of money on it, mechanic has now said it's unsafe to drive (brakes and tires) and we've basically had enough.

We now need a car pronto (my missus is a nanny and needs to drive kids around).

Want to get a new-ish car (maybe 3yrs old or less). We will have to get finance (if that is even possible - not even sure).

Any tips on this ins and outs of buying a car in a hurry and car finance in general? And yes I know I am going to get bent over and shafted, I just want to make the experience as pleasant as possible :rolleyes:

I've bought one car in my whole life, never used finance. Balloon payments, dealer finance, etc etc.

This is a major grudge purchase, I would much rather be driving our 16 year old car for another 10 years than spending money I don't have

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Just sold a car and currently looking for a 'first' car for #2 son, the only thing I have to say is we are in a bit of a transition period where the financial screw is tightening on a lot of people, cars are not selling for the price they were a year ago but people are still looking covid cash prices.

A 3yr old car is the worst because in a lot of cases, they are nearly the same price as new if not more as supply is slow.

Sucks that you are in a hurry but some of the best ones popping up are on local FB marketplace pages rather than Scumtree and Carsales.

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
3yr old car is the worst because in a lot of cases, they are nearly the same price as new if not more as supply is slow.
Yeah I must say I have been increasingly looking at new cars. Only problem is we are terrible at looking after nice things plus ferrying other people's kids around is not kind on interiors...

ozzybmx

Yeah I must say I have been increasingly looking at new cars. Only problem is we are terrible at looking after nice things plus ferrying other people's kids around is not kind on interiors...
I haven't looked but you may be able to get a decent finance deal and new car from a dealer, better than the rate you can borrow from a third party not also making money on the car sale.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I still don't get why people accept that kids trash car interiors...

If you need it pronto and you know nothing about cars and you need to finance it, just get a new one. Best bargains would be non suv mainstream stuff I suspect like an i30 or something.

If thats a stretch, look for something with less than 20,000kms and have it inspected.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Given EOFY is closing in there'd be a few dealers looking to shift stock, so as others have said new might be a better option for you.

And yeah I don't have kids either but even from attempting to look after friends / family sprogs the chances of keeping an eye on everything they're doing in a car are next to non-existent. En masse they're less small humans and more some kind of organic swarm.

Last edited:

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I reckon a slightly older low km car if in good nick isn't necessarily a bad thing.

eg something like this Mondeo wagon; big enough to fit all the kid-related stuff, made in bulk numbers, designed for massive sales-rep kms. If a car like that has a full service history and you can get it for a decent chunk less than something ewuivalent brand new it can be a decent proposition.

Bargain dealer down by looking unconvinced, request new decent tyres as part of the sale etc.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
What do you need? Small ish sedan, wagon, Mack truck? Seats 5, 20? As haakers says the i30 is a pretty decent package. Yes bits fail like electric window mechanisms but they are cheap and easy to fit.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
How many kids have you had since you've told everyone you don't have kids half a million times?
Well, I was a kid and I would have been skinned if I trashed the back of Dad's car... And my nephew didnt make a mess in my brother's car either. A small sample size perhaps, but not sure letting them run feral in the back is the only way to do it?

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I reckon a slightly older low km car if in good nick isn't necessarily a bad thing.

eg something like this Mondeo wagon; big enough to fit all the kid-related stuff, made in bulk numbers, designed for massive sales-rep kms. If a car like that has a full service history and you can get it for a decent chunk less than something ewuivalent brand new it can be a decent proposition.

Bargain dealer down by looking unconvinced, request new decent tyres as part of the sale etc.
Euro stuff for non car people in Australia is a non starter IMO - mechanics here are simple creatures and dont like euro and you end up with shoddy work. stick to the mainstream where you'll get a slightly better attitude from mechanics.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Euro stuff for non car people in Australia is a non starter IMO - mechanics here are simple creatures and dont like euro and you end up with shoddy work. stick to the mainstream where you'll get a slightly better attitude from mechanics.
It's a Ford, and a pretty common one. I don't think you'd be seeing teeth-sucking Euro-sceptic mechanics in this case. Plus you can just go to the dealer.

Anyway, whatevs. Who says a random Hyundai mechanic isn't going to have a whinge about a Johnson Rod being out of square.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
It's a Ford, and a pretty common one. I don't think you'd be seeing teeth-sucking Euro-sceptic mechanics in this case. Plus you can just go to the dealer.

Anyway, whatevs. Who says a random Hyundai mechanic isn't going to have a whinge about a Johnson Rod being out of square.
Thats true, less of an issue as with actual euro badges.

ozzybmx

Lowest budget, MG3 at $19k drive away with 7yrs warranty, or the MGZS at $23k. Its a very un-exciting car but cheap and will do the job for the 7yrs of warranty... maybe :)

A bloke at work just bough one to drive to work as he has 100km round trip, keeping the km's off the bigger family car.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
Strongly recommend doing some reading on owner experiences of MG. I wouldn’t buy one on principle (note that MG is not just made in china , but is CCP owned).

What about a Mitsubishi with the 10 year warranty ? Think they cop criticism for being outdated etc but so what if they are cheap and have 10 year warranty?

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Strongly recommend doing some reading on owner experiences of MG. I wouldn’t buy one on principle (note that MG is not just made in china , but is CCP owned).

What about a Mitsubishi with the 10 year warranty ? Think they cop criticism for being outdated etc but so what if they are cheap and have 10 year warranty?
They dont sell cars anymore...

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What do you need? Small ish sedan, wagon, Mack truck? Seats 5, 20? As haakers says the i30 is a pretty decent package. Yes bits fail like electric window mechanisms but they are cheap and easy to fit.
Looking for a wagon or medium SUV type. Space for going on trips with lots of stuff and a dog.
But to be honest I'm more interested in tips on the actual buying process and finance in particular.
As for the car - low maintenance, cheap to run and reliable. Not worried about latest tech or even driving experience