Warburton trail updates

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Yes, looks like there is still plenty of trail to be had. I always believe in quality over quantity, if the quality of the trail is really good then the amount isn't as important.
In Tassie we would have a snowballs chance in hell of getting any trail in a national park, but there's plenty of non-national part opportunities that I don't think we need to go into national parks. We get enough pushback from the diehard walkers as it is. :rolleyes:
Yeah but your state forests are higher diversity than mainland national parks

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Yeah but your state forests are higher diversity than mainland national parks
You are probably right there. We have a lot of state reserves and future potential timber reserves that are great places for MTB development.

Stredda

yeah have had a few delays but nothing too serious ,

But I doubt there will be trails open this year the way its looking ,

The first stage will be building the pump track in Wesburn , August seems to be the start date thats being thrown around now for that
Hopefully it all goes well. I was only talking to a guy about Warburton a couple of days ago and he went over there for a gravel race and he said that the locals hate bike riders. Just riding down the main street, people were yelling out and abusing him. :oops:

Mattyp

Cows go boing
Hopefully it all goes well. I was only talking to a guy about Warburton a couple of days ago and he went over there for a gravel race and he said that the locals hate bike riders. Just riding down the main street, people were yelling out and abusing him. :oops:
I had some locals hurl abuse at me when I was in Maydena not long after it opened too...as well as seeing people with signs in their front yards reading "back off bikers"
People are shit.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Warburton NIMBYs are next level. :rolleyes:

The traders won't mind extra cash flow coming through the till, but some of the locals live there because they don't particularly like people, IMO. They like small village life, but watch them scream and cry bitter tears if the bakery and the pub closed. ;)

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
some people in some small towns are ambivalent about new comers and visitors.
They dont mind if they are business owners making money but others just resent the traffic and crowds.
I can understand that if they have moved for the quiet.
In our town some horse riders are the enemies of bike riders.
They have delusions that their public land has been stolen.

kiwiinmelb

Likes Dirt
Warburton has a big varied cross section of people, I find most people respond pretty positively when the mtb park topic comes up in conversation, probably because they are hoping it might be good for the value of their home , and they are probably right , but still , they are positive.

But there is also another group who are opposed to change .

As an example of some of the types there , right now , they are planning a new little shopping centre , and there is an old tree in the middle of the car park next to the hardware store that is to be removed .

There are protesters there every day with signs , save our tree , they have been there for weeks , one guy built a tree hut and has been sleeping in it .

Stredda

Warburton has a big varied cross section of people, I find most people respond pretty positively when the mtb park topic comes up in conversation, probably because they are hoping it might be good for the value of their home , and they are probably right , but still , they are positive.

But there is also another group who are opposed to change .

As an example of some of the types there , right now , they are planning a new little shopping centre , and there is an old tree in the middle of the car park next to the hardware store that is to be removed .

There are protesters there every day with signs , save our tree , they have been there for weeks , one guy built a tree hut and has been sleeping in it .
I think there's a lot of the "I don't like anything that I don't have an interest in" mentality about and the smaller the community the stronger it is.
Then there's the "I hate road bike riders" which flows over to MTB, and finally there's the "things were always better in the good old days" crowd, who look at the past with rose tinted glasses. I see the latter in one of the Tassie history Facebook groups. Every second comment of some old streetscape photo is "it looks so much nicer back then" "why couldn't we leave all those old buildings alone". If they ever had to live, maintain and work with them on a daily basis they might change their mind.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
I think there's a lot of the "I don't like anything that I don't have an interest in" mentality about and the smaller the community the stronger it is.
Then there's the "I hate road bike riders" which flows over to MTB, and finally there's the "things were always better in the good old days" crowd, who look at the past with rose tinted glasses. I see the latter in one of the Tassie history Facebook groups. Every second comment of some old streetscape photo is "it looks so much nicer back then" "why couldn't we leave all those old buildings alone". If they ever had to live, maintain and work with them on a daily basis they might change their mind.
especially if some of them were fibro cement. yay asbestos. :(

Mattyp

Cows go boing
Rode some of the existing trails around warby today, was good fun. A bit of moisture around, some loamy goodness as well as some slick hardpack to keep me honest... plenty of sections i'll need to go back and learn properly. There's some pretty full commitment, high speed stuff out there that doesn't really work if you're just cruising down, reminded me a bit of Narbethong DH.

kiwiinmelb

Likes Dirt
There has been a bit of work going on to the proposed car park area at wesburn, which is a positive start at least,

rumours been circulating for a while they will be starting the pump track in August, now they have made that official putting it in the newsletter

wheels in motion at last