Hope Tech 4 V4 vs everything else

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Anyone have any experience with the newish V4 Hope brakes? Specific comparisons to other brakes would be great to hear about.

i have a set of German brakes that have reset my expectations of brakes but I’m still open to trying other things (and don’t want to spend that amount of money again).

Also have a set of Hayes Dominion A4’s that I’m not unhappy with either. I’m trying a set of trickstuff power pads in them out of the Formula Cura shortly….I think they fit. Hoping someone has tried A4’s and the Hopes and can comment.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
I will just put this here:

I think @Wake Jake has Tech 4s and Dominions.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Shimano 4 pots, Trickstuff power pads and 220mm rotors... I'm sure the pads and rotors on any brakes would do similar.

kten

Shimano 4 pots, Trickstuff power pads and 220mm rotors... I'm sure the pads and rotors on any brakes would do similar.
The wandering bite point is a PITA and a deal breaker for me. They can be picked up super cheap though.

@shiny yeah I looked at the KAHA brakes but the risk of first gen brakes from a one man show is too much for me. I believe they are machined overseas and built up in NZ and they look great but not many reviews and probably more than I want to spend.

shiny

The wandering bite point is a PITA and a deal breaker for me. They can be picked up super cheap though.

@shiny yeah I looked at the KAHA brakes but the risk of first gen brakes from a one man show is too much for me. I believe they are machined overseas and built up in NZ and they look great but not many reviews and probably more than I want to spend.
Fair points, I am waiting to see if the tax man is generous this year and then try to justify a set of V4s. The Dominions are good they just don’t to have that fine control I had on my Tech 3s and bleeding them is a pain.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Anyone have any experience with the newish V4 Hope brakes? Specific comparisons to other brakes would be great to hear about.

i have a set of German brakes that have reset my expectations of brakes but I’m still open to trying other things (and don’t want to spend that amount of money again).

Also have a set of Hayes Dominion A4’s that I’m not unhappy with either. I’m trying a set of trickstuff power pads in them out of the Formula Cura shortly….I think they fit. Hoping someone has tried A4’s and the Hopes and can comment.
You weren't happy with Trickstuff pads in Cura 4s? Have you tried the Racematrix pads in the Cura 4s? If you want even more control from the Curas trying changing the mineral to Redline like water.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

kten

You weren't happy with Trickstuff pads in Cura 4s? Have you tried the Racematrix pads in the Cura 4s? If you want even more control from the Curas trying changing the mineral to Redline like water.

Never tried Cura brakes. I'm trying the Cura pads from Trickstuff in my Dominions (when the pads arrive). From my general hamboing I think they'll fit and if they do could be the magic bullet for the Dominions. Unfortunately Trickstuff don't make pads specifically for the A4's.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Explain the theory of the light weight oil to me? I've got Cura4's with Racematrix pads, but they could always be better I suppose.

Oddjob

Never tried Cura brakes. I'm trying the Cura pads from Trickstuff in my Dominions (when the pads arrive). From my general hamboing I think they'll fit and if they do could be the magic bullet for the Dominions. Unfortunately Trickstuff don't make pads specifically for the A4's.
Dude! Try the Curas 4s with Racematrix pads. Absolute braking min/max winner.

I haven't tried the V4s but tried the V3s and thought they were meh. Also haven't tried the dominions but Andrew Major at NSMB rates them, and he seems to have good taste in components.

Oddjob

Explain the theory of the light weight oil to me? I've got Cura4's with Racematrix pads, but they could always be better I suppose.
It reduces the amount of lever feedback due to the oil viscosity. So the signal to noise ratio reaching your fingers increases. Also increases the responsiveness of the brakes to inputs.

shiny

I haven't tried the V4s but tried the V3s and thought they were meh. Also haven't tried the dominions but Andrew Major at NSMB rates them, and he seems to have good taste in components.

Put Racematrix in my Dominions. Made a noticeable difference and has me umming if I need new brakes.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
It reduces the amount of lever feedback due to the oil viscosity. So the signal to noise ratio reaching your fingers increases. Also increases the responsiveness of the brakes to inputs.
Over on MTBR the Redline fluid apparently fixes the wandering bite on Shimano.

The idea is that wandering bite is caused by air hideout in mineral oil and the likewater fluid is like water, making it harder to have a bubble or two hanging out in the caliper as the air moves faster and easier, easily making its way up to the lever.

I haven't had the wandering bite in the 2 sets of XT 4's I have but have had it in the past with other Shimanos.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Where is the best source for Racematrix pads?
Google says Uberbike

I've got Cura 4's on @kten old Titan and love them, if these pads are a level up, I'm intrigued

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Where is the best source for Racematrix pads?
Google says Uberbike

I've got Cura 4's on @kten old Titan and love them, if these pads are a level up, I'm intrigued
Yep, that's where I get them.
I didn't run my Cura's with stock pads but the Race Matrix are noticeably better than the Galfer sintered pads.

I need to order some more so if anyone is keen we can do a group buy and split the shipping.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep, that's where I get them.
I didn't run my Cura's with stock pads but the Race Matrix are noticeably better than the Galfer sintered pads.

I need to order some more so if anyone is keen we can do a group buy and split the shipping.
Count me in. I'm in Eastern suburbs of Melbourne