Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

Freediver

I can go full Karen
How much storage in terms of relative percentage, how much would those community batteries store as a part of the grid?
The question could have been a bit better and then after having it explained to him that the main purpose of them isn't bulk storage he asks further questions about bulk storage.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I think that old mate was trying to get a definitive it will power 100 typical houses for (say)17 minutes so he could put shit on the idea, you know we are spending all this money for afew minutes etc etc. Clearly they were sniffing for some anti sustainable fodder which is still why the video is out there. It should have been responded with the batteries are to fill the gap while other sources come on line and use the relevant data that way. Poor by both sides in my opinion.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
I think that old mate was trying to get a definitive it will power 100 typical houses for (say)17 minutes so he could put shit on the idea, you know we are spending all this money for afew minutes etc etc. Clearly they were sniffing for some anti sustainable fodder which is still why the video is out there. It should have been responded with the batteries are to fill the gap while other sources come on line and use the relevant data that way. Poor by both sides in my opinion.
These ones are more about excess solar energy being stored and used rather than systems just shutting down because they have nowhere to export to. @Haakon probably knows more but I also got the idea that they will all put out about 0.5 MW at 240V with different volumes of storage tailored to the community they serve.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I'm not entirely clear on what rules there are for senate estimates, but you generally just answer the question asked - especially with hostile senators.

So yes, there are some answers along the lines of "thats totes not how it works dude..." that could have been proffered, but it would have been met with a hostile reaction.

Grid batteries (community and large scale) are not there for storage as a source of power as it were, they're about stabilisation. And as such they offer great bang for buck as they enable/support a lot more renewables.

Last edited:

Haakon

Keeps on digging
As much as Rennick was a complete idiot they did not cover themselves in glory. The answer to how many houses and how long is such a simple answer they could have done the calculation in seconds however they knew the answer and knew it would be derided so played like it wasn't worked out.
No, the question didn't have a straight answer because its a "how long is a piece of string" type question. Trust me, James White knows his shit.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I'm not entirely clear on what rules there are for senate estimates, but you generally just answer the question asked - especially with hostile senators.

So yes, there are some answers along the lines of "thats totes not how it works dude..." that could have been proffered, but it would have been met with a hostile reaction.

Grid batteries (community and large scale) are not there for storage as a source of power as it were, they're about stabilisation. And as such they offer great bang for buck as they enable/support a lot more renewables.

I know this which is why he should have explained what and why. He gave the wankers ammunition. As above.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I know this which is why he should have explained what and why. He gave the wankers ammunition. As above.
I’m never been to estimates or given evidence thankfully, so don’t speak from experience. But that’s not really how it’s done. I’m not sure why but “talking back” is frowned on I think.

I’ve very rarely seen a branch head especially give an answer not directly what was asked. It’s left to the secretary or even the minister present to pull up a senator on a dumb or incorrect question.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub

Flow-Rider

Burner
It still produces the CO2 that fossil fuels did, and it reduces the land usage that was once for food production.
The only plus side is that we are not paying foreign oil companies for their fuel and the money should stay in the country.
They're claiming to use by-products but I would be concerned with the extra maintenance, ethanol absorbs water and becomes highly corrosive.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It still produces the CO2 that fossil fuels did, and it reduces the land usage that was once for food production.
The only plus side is that we are not paying foreign oil companies for their fuel and the money should stay in the country.
Feed people or feed luxury overseas holidays.Let them eat bugs!

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Feed people or feed luxury overseas holidays.Let them eat bugs!
We should feed people less carbohydrates as it is, so using an efficient feed stock like sugar cane for biofuel feedstock is ok. Jet fuel is closer to kerosene than petrol, so ethanol and methanol are out but there are processes that use most of the sugar cane to make longer chain organic molecules that are suitable.

Another suitable feedstock would be GMO algae but obviously has much higher water use.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Yeah, fuck the environment. What has it ever done for me !!!

Yeah I saw that, not ideal that's for sure. Interesting it's only a 5 year approval (for now...) though.