Why I don't ride road anymore

cammas

Seamstress
As those cringe af Shaq gambling ads showed, road cyclists are one group it is absolutely a ok to hang shit on with the general public.
To people who don’t ride, they don’t see the difference between road, MTB, gravel, etc, they just see a cyclist and hate us all equally.
Even if you’re riding to the trails or commuting to work they will hate you, you just need to google for 30 seconds to find the hate see example A below, yes some roadies are dicks, just like some mtbers are dicks and trust me I’ve met plenty of them.
The less hate generated towards any of us, the better. No I am not a roadie I am just a person who sees another cyclist as person who has a family.

1682035120310.jpeg

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This company should be ashamed of itself, why incite hate on people that ride on the road just for a bit of publicity?

View attachment 398972
I applaud anybody who has taken the time to learn tricks on their bike. One handed was just the start for most of us. There could be hope for this roadie. It's more than fine; it's the start of learning what a bike is really for.

cammas

Seamstress

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
This company should be ashamed of itself, why incite hate on people that ride on the road just for a bit of publicity?

View attachment 398972
More importantly, why are the cyclists on the wrong side of the road?

As those cringe af Shaq gambling ads showed, road cyclists are one group it is absolutely a ok to hang shit on with the general public.
It is...they are an affront to all mankind.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Here's a link to the post with a snapshot of the comments, like someone has said, how does one signal

But you don't have to scroll far to find the cycle hatred, like they say don't read the comments or feed the trolls

View attachment 398981
I wonder how many tradies, bogans, dickhead teenagers, methheads, herald-sun "readers" and general fuckwits would have to be removed from the gene pool to make things better for cyclists?

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
I wonder how many tradies, bogans, dickhead teenagers, methheads, herald-sun "readers" and general fuckwits would have to be removed from the gene pool to make things better for cyclists?
I think it's more than that, it's something about being in a car that can turn even fairly rational people into complete cunts.

Many years ago I was dating a girl who was mild-mannered, polite and friendly. Get her behind the wheel and she'd be road raging and screaming at any perceived affront to her personal respect like a rabid dog.

I think there's something about being cocooned in 1.5-2.5 tonnes of steel that suddenly liberates a lot of insecure people. They are no longer the downtrodden plebs they feel like everywhere else, they have insulation and power.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
I think it's more than that, it's something about being in a car that can turn even fairly rational people into complete cunts.

Many years ago I was dating a girl who was mild-mannered, polite and friendly. Get her behind the wheel and she'd be road raging and screaming at any perceived affront to her personal respect like a rabid dog.

I think there's something about being cocooned in 1.5-2.5 tonnes of steel that suddenly liberates a lot of insecure people. They are no longer the downtrodden plebs they feel like everywhere else, they have insulation and power.
You should be in the Dodge RAM marketing department, I'm sold.

Flow-Rider

Burner
More importantly, why are the cyclists on the wrong side of the road?

It is...they are an affront to all mankind.
They're playing chicken with trucks and busses, then taking the antics one step further to no hands chicken. :p

Maybe a pic from overseas or a country road in the middle of nowhere?

Flow-Rider

Burner
I applaud anybody who has taken the time to learn tricks on their bike. One handed was just the start for most of us. There could be hope for this roadie. It's more than fine; it's the start of learning what a bike is really for.
No hands on long rides for me all the time to straighten and stretch my back.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
To people who don’t ride, they don’t see the difference between road, MTB, gravel, etc, they just see a cyclist and hate us all equally.
Even if you’re riding to the trails or commuting to work they will hate you, you just need to google for 30 seconds to find the hate see example A below, yes some roadies are dicks, just like some mtbers are dicks and trust me I’ve met plenty of them.
The less hate generated towards any of us, the better. No I am not a roadie I am just a person who sees another cyclist as person who has a family.

View attachment 398974
Very anecdotal, but as someone who used to log a lot of road kms I did notice that drivers seemed to less overtly aggressive if I was riding in shorts and a t-shirt instead of lycra and cycling jersey (although me in lycra is pretty rage inducing).
It does seem that 'roadies' bring out the absolute hate as opposed to the general disgust of all things cyclist.

The other benefit of the shorts/t-shirt combo is that some of the lycra brigade get really put out when you beat them over the climb without wearing matching Rapha kit... :)

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Very anecdotal, but as someone who used to log a lot of road kms I did notice that drivers seemed to less overtly aggressive if I was riding in shorts and a t-shirt instead of lycra and cycling jersey (although me in lycra is pretty rage inducing).
It does seem that 'roadies' bring out the absolute hate as opposed to the general disgust of all things cyclist.

The other benefit of the shorts/t-shirt combo is that some of the lycra brigade get really put out when you beat them over the climb without wearing matching Rapha kit... :)
I haven't had a road bike or done really any road riding in years but back when I did I definitely noticed I went almost unnoticed in jeans on my way to uni on my pub bike. Very little agro. Wear any kind of riding kit or be on a remotely flashy road bike and that changed.

Also the amount of conversations I've had when I mention I'm into riding and the eyes narrow until I mention mountain biking and then everything's fine / no issue and they're keen to know more about it. Imo roadies are definitely on another level of hatred.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

I notice a difference in driver attitude when I wear a black helmet vs a pink one.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea

if non-bike shorts and reg grundys don't give you severe chafing in and around sensitive bits, then you are one of the truly fortunate.