Hacks

Who are you?

• Total voters

dazz

Downhill Dazz
Hate that 'Raaaaaaaaaaatcch' noise when you operate your roller blinds?

Well live in peace and tranquil quiet my friends with Dr Beebenson's patent-pending EzySpin Chainrollerᵀᴹ chain guides!

View attachment 396559

Truth be told I just chopped up the existing plastic lower guide, turned it upside down and added a sliding door roller. If you're going to give it a shot (and please do, the silence is frankly blissful!), please note I've actually 'faked' this shot to make the chain look a bit tighter around the pulley wheel and more logical for the picture. Make it that tight in reality and you'll be dragging your knuckles (no, not like that...) up the window frame.

That's one less OCD twitch left to bug me at home!
Upgrade time! Don't see why it wouldn't work equally well for blinds

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Missing some spacers from your M8120 cranks?
00BDFAD9-AB99-485D-8290-59071C7B210C.jpeg

In my case it's matchy-matchy and everything. :p
1EC78C49-8940-403C-ABC4-3C6FD3E3FB56.jpeg

The spacers are 1.5mm thick each, but there is a bit of free-play around the cranks as the ID is -25mm, so the spacers do need to be preloaded very lightly then tapped about so they're concentric - but they just clear the outer race of the BB and are the perfect thickness. Even the stock Shimano "safety tab" dropped into place like normal. :)

teK--

Eats Squid
Hope Tech3 brakes hack (maybe for their other models too?)

3 standard playing cards on each side perfectly aligns the caliper with the rotor. Then half your job is done you just ensure all pistons are extending evenly.

321658951_699959031848717_5114471646611063399_n.jpg

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Missing some spacers from your M8120 cranks?
View attachment 398023

In my case it's matchy-matchy and everything. :p
View attachment 398022

The spacers are 1.5mm thick each, but there is a bit of free-play around the cranks as the ID is -25mm, so the spacers do need to be preloaded very lightly then tapped about so they're concentric - but they just clear the outer race of the BB and are the perfect thickness. Even the stock Shimano "safety tab" dropped into place like normal. :)
So matchy I didn't notice!

beeb

Was struggling a lot with my new(ish) fork today. It'd never really felt as good as the previous one I had.

But then I remembered something I discovered by accident with my previous Z1.

If you turn the compression damper dial fully open, remove the dial, turn the dial (while disconnected from the fork) 1/8th of a turn clockwise (it fits onto an octagonal shaft on top of the damper), reinstall the dial again, and twist the dial back to the open position - all of a sudden it's actually "Open" and not "Says it's Open but actually still has a fair whack of LSC stuck on".

Not really sure why they send them out like this from factory, as twisting the dial to fully closed even after the adjustment will still provide nearly total lockout of the fork.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Was struggling a lot with my new(ish) fork today. It'd never really felt as good as the previous one I had.

But then I remembered something I discovered by accident with my previous Z1.

If you turn the compression damper dial fully open, remove the dial, turn the dial (while disconnected from the fork) 1/8th of a turn clockwise (it fits onto an octagonal shaft on top of the damper), reinstall the dial again, and twist the dial back to the open position - all of a sudden it's actually "Open" and not "Says it's Open but actually still has a fair whack of LSC stuck on".

Not really sure why they send them out like this from factory, as twisting the dial to fully closed even after the adjustment will still provide nearly total lockout of the fork.
That’s the grip damper. It’s an undocumented feature.

The fox grip damper service instructions don’t cover this. The first grip damper I rebuilt, for DMan, suffered from this. You have to reclock the adjustment knob, as you did, to gain fully open, minimal LSC.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
That’s the grip damper. It’s an undocumented feature.

The fox grip damper service instructions don’t cover this. The first grip damper I rebuilt, for DMan, suffered from this. You have to reclock the adjustment knob, as you did, to gain fully open, minimal LSC.
On Fox too ?

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Damnnn OK I am going to check out this undocumented feature now.
Me too... later when I get home, I still own at least 2 Grip damper forks, possibly 3.

A Fox factory fork on a past bike was the most over damped piece of shit ever, wondering after sending it to NSD for a Push ACS conversion and service if they would have checked for this secret feature or just screwed the knob back on where the screw mark was.

It was still a POS when I sold it on my Santa Cruz.

beeb

Me too... later when I get home, I still own at least 2 Grip damper forks, possibly 3.

A Fox factory fork on a past bike was the most over damped piece of shit ever, wondering after sending it to NSD for a Push ACS conversion and service if they would have checked for this secret feature or just screwed the knob back on where the screw mark was.

It was still a POS when I sold it on my Santa Cruz.
Was that one of the older Fit-4 dampers?