Electric Vehicles etc

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
You have been reading the last few comments though?

I know quite intimately the roads @ozzybmx drives. The right tyre is noticeable to you, me and probably Ozzy. Mrs BMX? I'm not so sure
When setting up/maintaining a car for someone I care about who isn’t into cars and may not be a super good driver, I tend to go all out on the best handling and gripping tyre I can get. When they need to swerve to avoid the dog/kid/car I don’t want it doing anything unpredictable or being sloppy.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
When setting up/maintaining a car for someone I care about who isn’t into cars and may not be a super good driver, I tend to go all out on the best handling and gripping tyre I can get. When they need to swerve to avoid the dog/kid/car I don’t want it doing anything unpredictable or being sloppy.
If you're not pulling the tyre-warmers off one of these for her before each drive, do you even really love her?

Haakon

If you're not pulling the tyre-warmers off one of these for her before each drive, do you even really love her?
Point taken. But at least put good tyres on in the right size for the rim. A heavy lowish centre of gravity EV will push hard on the sidewalls, and you want them supported properly.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Point taken. But at least put good tyres on in the right size for the rim. A heavy lowish centre of gravity EV will push hard on the sidewalls, and you want them supported properly.
I'll send Continental a message and tell them they know eff all about rims and tyres.

Haakon

I'll send Continental a message and tell them they know eff all about rims and tyres.
Would be interested to know what width the rims are. Either the 205 or the 225 are wrong :) Or at least not optimal.

Oh, scratch that i had memories of you saying 205. I didnt sleep... Ok fine, 225 is fine i thought they were going up two sizes!

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Would be interested to know what width the rims are. Either the 205 or the 225 are wrong :) Or at least not optimal.

Oh, scratch that i had memories of you saying 205. I didnt sleep... Ok fine, 225 is fine i thought they were going up two sizes!
I don't know what they are.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
The BYD has tyre pressure monitoring and will remind your wife to pump them up.
One of the best features in the last two cars I've had. Windows that roll up or down when you hold the key button too. But the fancy electrics have pre cooling venting out the windows. It's cool yo, in my best dead pan dad joke voice.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have only done 520km in the iX3 so far, but got its first longer trip under its belt down to the Mornington Peninsula. 243km round trip at 15.9kwh/100km, was still showing 202km range remaining sitting bang on half charge.
Can get it to around 13kwh/100 around town, climbs to around 16 sitting on 100km/h.

Really enjoying it so far, for a weighty SUV it still gets along ok.

Screenshot_20230407_140514_My BMW.jpg

Fred Nurk

No custom title here
Baseload, in almost all social media discussions, is a misused term.
One of the previous reasons off-peak power was cheaper is that the larger types of generator (thermal powered whether coal or nuclear) couldn't easily follow load or change it's load profile quickly (protection events notwithstanding). It was easier to discount the price than it was to shutdown the plant and start it up again. Gas turbines are far better at this but aren't immune to thermal cycling related wear.
As far as what is actually desired, dispatchable non-intermittent power, that's a completely different argument and does not necessarily equate to needing nuclear. Hydro can do that, although it's not without it's challenges; and up to a certain size, so can other renewable sources (albeit with batteries in the mix).

Nuclear power is what we really should be working towards for base load power.
Again, base load is not a useful term. And I'm not sure how the remaining fossil assets in the system translate to needing nukes?
You dreaming ?

NSW, Vic and QLD run like this every day and take a bigger share at night.
Vic is importing currently and Tas is sucking coal juice across Basslink.
We have no wind here in SA today and we are still over producing and exporting to the Eastern grid.
This country relies on black/brown coal for over 50% of its power, 24 hours a day.

View attachment 398305

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Don't you wish you could get the modern tech without all the tech-ick?
This. I want a safe and reliable electric car not some tech filled unrepairable heap of shit that's spying on you in it's free time.

(Note: most modern ICE vehicles fall into this same category of crap).

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Baseload, in almost all social media discussions, is a misused term.
One of the previous reasons off-peak power was cheaper is that the larger types of generator (thermal powered whether coal or nuclear) couldn't easily follow load or change it's load profile quickly (protection events notwithstanding). It was easier to discount the price than it was to shutdown the plant and start it up again. Gas turbines are far better at this but aren't immune to thermal cycling related wear.
As far as what is actually desired, dispatchable non-intermittent power, that's a completely different argument and does not necessarily equate to needing nuclear. Hydro can do that, although it's not without it's challenges; and up to a certain size, so can other renewable sources (albeit with batteries in the mix).
Adding capacity to the electricity grid is not a simple task from TheEconomist
https://www.economist.com/technolog...-to-the-electricity-grid-is-not-a-simple-task

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Fred Nurk

No custom title here
Adding capacity to the electricity grid is not a simple task from TheEconomist
https://www.economist.com/technolog...-to-the-electricity-grid-is-not-a-simple-task

No, it's not and it never really has been. If anything it's exponentially harder to bring new capacity into the network and no one wants to be investing in an asset that they will end up stuck with due to changing network and market conditions.
The concept of baseload only works in interconnected networks and due to changing generation types is not the panacea the public thinks it is.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Had a good one last night. Get a call from the minister for war and finance at 9:30pm, as she's gone to a mate's place and 'the car won't start, it's doing weird things'. Upon gentle questioning it turns out she jumped into the car, fired it up in accessory mode and proceeded to have a phone conversation with her dad for 15 minutes whilst running the heater, AC, lights etc flat out. Just like in an ICE car in accessory mode the 12V battery doesn't get charged from the traction battery so it understandably gave up the ghost. The next challenge was figuring out how to jump start it from a PHEV (our other car). I reckon the user manual for the Apollo command module would've been easier to understand. Fortunately after 15 minutes of head scratching and general fuckwittery the jump leads were correctly connected and enough juice was obtained.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Had a good one last night. Get a call from the minister for war and finance at 9:30pm, as she's gone to a mate's place and 'the car won't start, it's doing weird things'. Upon gentle questioning it turns out she jumped into the car, fired it up in accessory mode and proceeded to have a phone conversation with her dad for 15 minutes whilst running the heater, AC, lights etc flat out. Just like in an ICE car in accessory mode the 12V battery doesn't get charged from the traction battery so it understandably gave up the ghost. The next challenge was figuring out how to jump start it from a PHEV (our other car). I reckon the user manual for the Apollo command module would've been easier to understand. Fortunately after 15 minutes of head scratching and general fuckwittery the jump leads were correctly connected and enough juice was obtained.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
Do yourself a favour and get one of these. Much safer and easier than traditional jump starting.

https://amzn.asia/d/5qLP3J1

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Just like in an ICE car in accessory mode the 12V battery doesn't get charged from the traction battery
It's a Leaf right? That's a very ICE concept, only charge the battery in "run" mode, and for no apparent reason. AFAIK Tesla's don't do that because they are on or off, there is no accessory mode.