New bike time??

creaky

XMAS Plumper

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What you want is a circa 2017 Devinci Django or similar. Modest geo, light and comfortable
I beefed up the fork and tires on mine, but if you ran it with 130 up front and some skinny tyres it would be great. Such a good pedaling platform

Haakon

Keeps on digging
That does look really nice, but if I take the gravel bike out then the dirt roads / fire trails etc. I'm doing are broken up by much more bitumen that single track warranting suspension.

I'm in the steeper / sharper handing gravel bike camp rather than the slack HA versions.
Im tempted to get one for commuting on Hobart streets... Its a pothole and other nasties dodging exercise on the roadie. I trust the roads where you are are better!

But either way, those fatter tyred gravel bikes, even the ones with a suspender fork, are not that slow - especially on australian country roads.

cammas

Seamstress
I’ve done a heap of gravel using an Anthem, there would be gravel, bitumen, 4wd tracks and single track, it was fine.
I also do a heap just on my hardtail MTB which is rigid (full stiffee?) went on a Geelong MTB club gravel social ride in the Brisbane Ranges, I think there was a few giggles from some until we hit the first decent; most were puckered up they may have been quicker on the climbs but that is more about me and fitness then the bike.
Just find something like a Kona Unit X and put some 2.3’s on instead of the 2.6’s and you will be fine, I do have a gravel bike but it’s main purpose is for commuting.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I’ve done a heap of gravel using an Anthem, there would be gravel, bitumen, 4wd tracks and single track, it was fine.
I also do a heap just on my hardtail MTB which is rigid (full stiffee?) went on a Geelong MTB club gravel social ride in the Brisbane Ranges, I think there was a few giggles from some until we hit the first decent; most were puckered up they may have been quicker on the climbs but that is more about me and fitness then the bike.
Just find something like a Kona Unit X and put some 2.3’s on instead of the 2.6’s and you will be fine, I do have a gravel bike but it’s main purpose is for commuting.
650/27.5 x 32c is nearly the same rolling diameter as 26x2.2". I reckon that wheel setup on a 26" XC dual-suspension bike would be a fun combo for a mix of spinning along gravel roads - good for taking a little sting off corrugations - but still capable of having a play on flat-terrain single track. But unless you happened to have a narrowish-ish 27.5" non-boost (probably convertible end-cap) wheelset it would be quite an expensive way to build a "cheap" dual-susp gravel bike.

Last edited:

cammas

Seamstress
This looks good

yep that looks the goods, I just have preference for steel but if you spend another $300 this looks pretty good, the more you look on their site the more you find