The QUICK question thread.....

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Yeah I've done that before too. But this is kind of the other way around, wide rims and narrow (normal?) tyres, and adding tubeless to the mix.
All it does with a narrower tyre is push the tread further down and possibly leave sidewall susceptible to a rock slice.

I ran a set of 2.4 x 29 Ardents on my 29+ Nextie 52mm Jungle Fox rims for a ride or two... they were ridiculous. Sidewall was all I could see with all the tread on the bottom, nearly a square profile.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
All it does with a narrower tyre is push the tread further down and possibly leave sidewall susceptible to a rock slice.

I ran a set of 2.4 x 29 Ardents on my 29+ Nextie 52mm Jungle Fox rims for a ride or two... they were ridiculous. Sidewall was all I could see with all the tread on the bottom, nearly a square profile.
I mounted 4" tyres on a 30mm outside rim for shits and mostly shits. It was fine. Rolled like a weirdo thing because of the low pressures but didn't roll off the rim.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
shits and mostly shits
That was basically my idea. The older 2.4 Ardents (old Ardent decal) were a massive bag tyre and while I expected they would be too small, they were ridiculously small. Original thought was they would be a faster tyre than the 3.0 Maxxis Chronicles.

Should have a picture here somewhere.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I'm assuming MTB.... Theoretically the pull ratios are different, but if they are there's stuff-all in it. You may lose a little bit of shift crispness but it works.

If talking road then it's a different story; for the most part the pull ratios are way out so don't work. The exception is current-series (4700) Tiagra which has more in common with the 11-sp. family than it has with other 10-sp.

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm assuming MTB.... Theoretically the pull ratios are different, but if they are there's stuff-all in it. You may lose a little bit of shift crispness but it works.

If talking road then it's a different story; for the most part the pull ratios are way out so don't work. The exception is current-series (4700) Tiagra which has more in common with the 11-sp. family than it has with other 10-sp.
Yes, MBT, should have been more clear. Thanks.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Has anyone used/heard of MarsOne hydraulic hose?
Used their outer gear cable before without any issues, but not sure on the hose...

Anything aftermarket hose wise I've used had been Uberbike. No issues there. The kit comes with reusable fittings as well, never had a leak over 5 bikes I've installed them on. 4 Shimano brakes and 1 TRP.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Used their outer gear cable before without any issues, but not sure on the hose...

Anything aftermarket hose wise I've used had been Uberbike. No issues there. The kit comes with reusable fittings as well, never had a leak over 5 bikes I've installed them on. 4 Shimano brakes and 1 TRP.

From what I've found online Mars One is a Taiwanese company, hyd hose is $9 a metre :eek: which is a fair bit cheaper than the renowned uber stuff.

I'll just leave this here (and possibly book a slot in the COTFW thread)
tenor.gif

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
From what I've found online Mars One is a Taiwanese company, hyd hose is $9 a metre :eek: which is a fair bit cheaper than the renowned uber stuff.

I'll just leave this here (and possibly book a slot in the COTFW thread)
What brakes are you putting it on? What fittings are you going to use?

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Nice. Will be interesting to see if everything blows up. :p Please keep us updated.
Will definitely report back :D

And more importantly, what colour did you go? Link?
Black of course. I like different colours (and have tonnes on the bike), but I'm not crazy. Yet.

I like how they call it "outer" :oops: