Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
At first I thought they were the CSA copy of the AMGs but on closer look I think you are right and these are the real deal. The little fillets at the end of the spokes I think were unique to the AMG penta wheels. Lots of copies though.
That's pretty cool then. Next door neighbour years ago had a '76 450SL that he chucked those CSAs on and honestly I thought they looked shit compared to the body coloured hubcaps on it previously - killed the sleeper vibe it had going on.

Crazy how much presence that 6.9 above still has though, like seeing an octogenarian in a dinner suit only he's built like Arnie. They must have humbled many a Lambo and Ferrari back in the day.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
That's pretty cool then. Next door neighbour years ago had a '76 450SL that he chucked those CSAs on and honestly I thought they looked shit compared to the body coloured hubcaps on it previously - killed the sleeper vibe it had going on.

Crazy how much presence that 6.9 above still has though, like seeing an octogenarian in a dinner suit only he's built like Arnie. They must have humbled many a Lambo and Ferrari back in the day.
I am not sure and if you can get close enough it should say AMG on the face. Anyway cool car. I was a passenger in a grosser years ago and while it is not that quick now if must have been a shock to anyone with a sports beetle or similar at the time.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I met a bloke in canberra outside work with a 1969 300 SEL 6.3, the original big block Merc. Super bloody nice...

I usually like what Icon do in California, but rebuilding one with a ladder frame chassis and LSA crate engine was just wrong.... They could have cut up a normal model Merc and not wreck an original 300 SEL... :(

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Mitsubishi Tritons with dead engines from sludge - common issue?

Kirstys boss has one a few months out of warranty that has a fucked engine from sludge, and the dealer is telling her to get fucked because she had it serviced by another mechanic. Obviously that last part is bullshit, but if this is a common issue I’d like to know.

She can supply evidence of servicing as it’s supposed to be, but suspect this is a case of stupid long intervals prescribed by Mitsubishi on a sludge prone engine…

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Tritons have more timing chain and overheating issues from memory but sludging is a common thing on modern engines especially Toyota petrols. Correct oil and intervals? Then the dealer/mitsu is on shaky ground. Life expectancy would be 10+ years 200,000km and vcat equivalent is the way to go.

Minlak

custom titis
WHat do you mean died from sludge? Sludge where? Are we meaning carbon build up in manifold and intakes or sludge in the oil pan?

Sludge in the oil pan I would say your manifold etc is wear and tear possibly if you don't clean it regularly or fit a catch can

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
WHat do you mean died from sludge? Sludge where? Are we meaning carbon build up in manifold and intakes or sludge in the oil pan?

Sludge in the oil pan I would say your manifold etc is wear and tear possibly if you don't clean it regularly or fit a catch can
Shirley: Oil ways are sludge and intake is gunk?

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mitsubishi Tritons with dead engines from sludge - common issue?

Kirstys boss has one a few months out of warranty that has a fucked engine from sludge, and the dealer is telling her to get fucked because she had it serviced by another mechanic. Obviously that last part is bullshit, but if this is a common issue I’d like to know.

She can supply evidence of servicing as it’s supposed to be, but suspect this is a case of stupid long intervals prescribed by Mitsubishi on a sludge prone engine…
How old / mileage of the car. Missed/late services or wrong oil usually.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I still have silly thoughts about a C36 or C43 from time to time. Last real AMGs
A good mate has had several C63s finishing with a C63S sedan then coupe. So lovely inside and the engine sound! It was so stiff and harsh it was not a pleasant drive on country roads though.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A good mate has had several C63s finishing with a C63S sedan then coupe. So lovely inside and the engine sound! It was so stiff and harsh it was not a pleasant drive on country roads though.
Just love how proper rare these things are. Unlike the late model stuff.

Still remember my first drive in a C36, glorious thing in their day. V8 C43 W202 was even better.

Screenshot_20230310_130712_Chrome.jpg

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
This makes me wonder why anyone would bother with an AMG as a daily driver. I love my GTR but the ride makes it suitable for short specific blats only.

A WRX or Forester STI are still the country road performance car champ.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I still have silly thoughts about a C36 or C43 from time to time. Last real AMGs
I’m rather hazy on merc model designations, I have to google everything to get an understanding what we are talking about here. I’m sure non bmw people are just as confused with bmw stuff.

I’ve been taken for a quick belt in a friend of my olds man’s amg CL65 2 door coup, 2008ish vintage. JFC things a god damned freight train. I’m of the opinion nothing on the street should be able to do sub 5 second 0-100 times.

One of these:

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I’m rather hazy on merc model designations, I have to google everything to get an understanding what we are talking about here. I’m sure non bmw people are just as confused with bmw stuff.

I’ve been taken for a quick belt in a friend of my olds man’s amg CL65 2 door coup, 2008ish vintage. JFC things a god damned freight train. I’m of the opinion nothing on the street should be able to do sub 5 second 0-100 times.

One of these:

Back then AMG was still like what Alpina is today. Then Merc took over early 2000s and they became production line cars with AMG motors. Now I think even the engines are production line rather than hand built.

You're mates car was of the generations after Merc had fully taken over.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
I really like the current C43s for that kinda reason - yeah they're assembly line jobs rather than handbuilt but they have the same subtle vibe all AMGs had before they went mental in the early 2000s and never stopped. Twin turbo sixes and look like a C200. Sold.
A WRX or Forester STI are still the country road performance car champ.
My Liberty must've missed that memo. On smooth roads it's sublime, but any rough stuff and it's the angriest car I've ever had. Still love it though.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I liked my M cars, I would probably have had a C63 or C63S at one point but luckily I was saved that by riding in my mate's car. I had an opportunity to grab the last of the V8 M3s that was the dealer principals, every bell and extra whistles. I lost two fillings taking it out of the carpark. Even the last M3 had some weird compromises going on with the suspenders. My M2 was a fabulous tourer and reasonably sharp on the twisties and not at all harsh in the way the AMGs were or the M3 was. And my mate with the GT2RS had an E63S. Less said about that the better. It is a tough call as to what is the best since so much varies. A GT is never going to be a car for the twisties at anything above 7 tenths. Likewise something that is brilliant on the street sprints is not a car to drive long distances in. etc. Whatever is the answer it aint a Soooooooooooby. In my opinion.

I had a chance to have a good look at a Westy recently, guys bought it for under $30k and it didn't need a lot of work. Reasonably warm 4AGE, coilovers, etc but still not a car to do distances in. Was freshly shod with AR-1s and the few little things fixed and I will see it at the next round of sprints. Be very interesting how it goes. There are quite a few in the club and I suspect none are run at anything like full noise. Have you spun out? Have you run out of track and talent? No? Drive faster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Back then AMG was still like what Alpina is today. Then Merc took over early 2000s and they became production line cars with AMG motors. Now I think even the engines are production line rather than hand built.

You're mates car was of the generations after Merc had fully taken over.
Ahh thanks.

BMW acquired Alpina last year too.

I was at the lights on Stud road a few weeks ago and a 2017 B7 pulled up. Pinnacle of Alpina on 4 wheels in that one car.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I liked my M cars, I would probably have had a C63 or C63S at one point but luckily I was saved that by riding in my mate's car. I had an opportunity to grab the last of the V8 M3s that was the dealer principals, every bell and extra whistles. I lost two fillings taking it out of the carpark. Even the last M3 had some weird compromises going on with the suspenders. My M2 was a fabulous tourer and reasonably sharp on the twisties and not at all harsh in the way the AMGs were or the M3 was. And my mate with the GT2RS had an E63S. Less said about that the better. It is a tough call as to what is the best since so much varies. A GT is never going to be a car for the twisties at anything above 7 tenths. Likewise something that is brilliant on the street sprints is not a car to drive long distances in. etc. Whatever is the answer it aint a Soooooooooooby. In my opinion.

I had a chance to have a good look at a Westy recently, guys bought it for under $30k and it didn't need a lot of work. Reasonably warm 4AGE, coilovers, etc but still not a car to do distances in. Was freshly shod with AR-1s and the few little things fixed and I will see it at the next round of sprints. Be very interesting how it goes. There are quite a few in the club and I suspect none are run at anything like full noise. Have you spun out? Have you run out of track and talent? No? Drive faster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Colin MacRae, Richard Burns and Possum Bourne will be kicking the shit out of you in your dreams tonight.

I had a 2.5l STI engine, suspension and brakes transplanted into an XT body as a Q car. It was great on country roads. A car with more power, less grip or less suspension travel would suck balls on some of the shit roads in NSW.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk