BKXC (and Ibis) get and Ebike

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Oooohhh... one in stock, in my numbers and colour too o_O

Can’t make that a good looking bike any way you keep looking at it. Plus the seat tube angle is waaayyyy off.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Can’t make that a good looking bike any way you keep looking at it. Plus the seat tube angle is waaayyyy off.
The seat angle is 77°, which is steep compared to a lot of bikes.

The picture is skewed as the back wheel is propped up but with the seat fully zoomed out, the wheel in relation to the centre of the seatpost is also more forward than most bikes. If you look why its at that angle, see the crank centre and how much to the rear that it has been set.
The small and med also have a 27.5 rear and different length swing arm to the L and XL which are 29" front and back.

S & M 77°
L 78°
XL 79°.

I have had a few bikes with a slack seat tube angle and being a medium, its doesnt make any difference. Now if you were a regular rotorburn giant on an XL with a slack seat angle, the longer the post, the further back you go over the rear wheel while seated. So slack seat angles for small and medium bikes doesn't really matter.

Wheel position in relation to seat centre on a couple of my old bikes with slack seat angles.

The seat collar centre is nearly in line with the crank centre.

fsdfgfdg.jpg

Last edited:

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
The seat angle is 77°, which is steep compared to a lot of bikes.

The picture is skewed as the back wheel is propped up but with the seat fully zoomed out, the wheel in relation to the centre of the seatpost is also more forward than most bikes. If you look why its at that angle, see the crank centre and how much to the rear that it has been set.
The small and med also have a 27.5 rear and different length swing arm to the L and XL which are 29" front and back.

S & M 77°
L 78°
XL 79°.

I have had a few bikes with a slack seat tube angle and being a medium, its doesnt make any difference. Now if you were a regular rotorburn giant on an XL with a slack seat angle, the longer the post, the further back you go over the rear wheel while seated. So slack seat angles for small and medium bikes doesn't really matter.

Wheel position in relation to seat centre on a couple of my old bikes with slack seat angles.

The seat collar centre is nearly in line with the crank centre.

View attachment 397536
3 bikes with too slack seat angles. Not sure you’re talking me into anything lol.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I actually don't mind slack actual and steep effective STAs (within reason), as it pushes the seat further forward when the dropper's down and provides more room to move around the back of the seat.

And FWIW, I was not a fan of that Ibis when they released it, but it's grown on me more each time I see it. At least it looks unique and futuristic, not just another Horst-link eBike with a bloated belly.

@ozzybmx - given it's the one you're trying to talk yourself out of, you know it's the one you actually want! So go for it!

...good luck keep debris off the shock though.:p

ozzybmx

Interestingly Ibis are making a big point of the bikes 77-70° ST angle... no mention anywhere that its actually the 'virtual' ST angle.

The ST angle would be nearer 70° and could be an issue for taller riders.

hdgdgjsjfhs.jpg

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Interestingly Ibis are making a big point of the bikes 77-70° ST angle... no mention anywhere that its actually the 'virtual' ST angle.

The ST angle would be nearer 70° and could be an issue for taller riders.

View attachment 397548
Most if not all companies that only specify STA (not Actual and Effective) are giving the Effective angle.

From memory Ibis do it a bit differently as they specify the STA measured from the BB to the seat post centre at the average seat height for each frame size, rather than at seat post height equivalent to the stack height.

I think that means that the stated STA does actually take into account more of the ‘slacker’ actual angle length.

TLDR - I believe Ibis STA is actually steeper than the commonly reported measurement values for most brands.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Well that escalated quickly :rolleyes:

Blue med on order.

View attachment 397625
Not sure I’ve ever witnessed such a turn-around. The colour is beautiful and will go well with the Spur. I’m not too afraid of the shape of that frame but I dont love the seat tube angle no matter what it measures at ‘average’ height.

Will be interesting to hear how you get on with it.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Short-list was this and a Levo Expert, got a sale on the Levo too, plus a free battery and better spec but got taken in by the different look of this bike.
Good call. I'm eyeing off a Levo for the girlfriend but struggling to get past how fugly it is. Oso looks far better.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Over The Edge looked after me ;)

Short-list was this and a Levo Expert, got a sale on the Levo too, plus a free battery and better spec but got taken in by the different look of this bike.
Have you and Gaz ordered matching blue kits?

ozzybmx

Good call. I'm eyeing off a Levo for the girlfriend but struggling to get past how fugly it is. Oso looks far better.
I actually don't mind the look of the Levo. They are also in nearly every top 3 ebike review, the spec is pretty good and the warranty is excellent.

If it wasn't for this bike being in stock, I'd have went for the Levo Expert or maybe even Pro... as they are on sale :rolleyes: and size availability dependent.