Motorcycle Thread - Post it all

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
A mate had one of the early ones and used to leave the tank about half full which had its own issues. With a full tank the nose was ponderous. I know they aren't a wheelie machine but still it was nose heavy and with a full tank it fought standing back up. Good to hear it is sorted. I am a sucker for the BMW twins for that duty. Width gives issues and I am not a fan of the telelever front end on rough stuff but they do feel nice.
There's also the new Tenere World Raid that's supposed to be here by the end of March. It's got uprated suspension, an extra ABS mode and a few other small things but the main upgrade is the twin tanks. It ups the capacity from 16L to 23L and still has the same CofG as the original Tenere.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
There's also the new Tenere World Raid that's supposed to be here by the end of March. It's got uprated suspension, an extra ABS mode and a few other small things but the main upgrade is the twin tanks. It ups the capacity from 16L to 23L and still has the same CofG as the original Tenere.
Suzuki just released a new V-strom 800 that’s worth a look in also.
Aprilia Tuareg 660 is cool af.
Honda’s got a new transalp 750 on the way.

Mid weight dirt touring bikes (adventure bike is such a wanky term ahaha) are the new in thing and everyones making good ones atm.

Or if you want change from $12k
@Oddjob approved!

Stredda

Suzuki just released a new V-strom 800 that’s worth a look in also.
Aprilia Tuareg 660 is cool af.
Honda’s got a new transalp 750 on the way.

Mid weight dirt touring bikes (adventure bike is such a wanky term ahaha) are the new in thing and everyones making good ones atm.

Or if you want change from $12k
@Oddjob approved!
I was looking to go a bit more on the dirt side than the V-Strom and the Translap and the T7 is that, plus it doesn't have all the modes and electronics that a lot of the other brands have.
Haven't really thought about the BMW bikes, I'll have to do a bit of research and get take up latte drinking. ;)
Those bms still using rotax motors?
BMW's design and built by Rotax apparently.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
The one I test rode felt pretty good. Like compared to a single cylinder dual sport it's heavy, but it's not any different to an Africa Twin for example but not as good as the KTM 890 with the low tanks. The bigger KTMs have a bit of a question mark on reliability (I've seen a couple of 690 engine failures) and I don't like the front-end praying mantis look of them either.
If you want a long and happy ownership experience don't get a BMW or a KTM. KTMs are maintenance pigs and BMWs are fragile, as in shocks punching through swingarms fragile.

The DR650 and 400E are unkillable cockroaches, but are too underpowered for proper high speed crusing fully loaded. The 400E would be perfect for the Cape though.

The Yamaha T7 is really good. The engineering is top notch and there are plenty of accessories. The high stance helps to keep the wind off you at high speeds (trust me the wind can get fucking annoying when you are doing 10 hr days in the saddle). The older XT660R was good too and had lower stand over height.

The Africa twin looks hawt but no experience with the modern ones. The Transalp with the underlying exhaust gets a big no.

Hot tip for fully loaded touring is to get a steering damper to avoid tank slappers with 300kgs of bike. And a Koako cruise control for long days in the saddle.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
A guy I worked with had one of the rotax bms. Made a carrier for his surfboard! It did huge km on rough and nasty and beach and only ever needed routine maintenance. Knew a guy with a 1200 twin and similar story. Interesting.

Oddjob

A guy I worked with had one of the rotax bms. Made a carrier for his surfboard! It did huge km on rough and nasty and beach and only ever needed routine maintenance. Knew a guy with a 1200 twin and similar story. Interesting.
I did London to Beijing with the wife on a guided trip with lots of BMWs. Lots of badly leaking trasaxles, and busted shocks. I think two had busted swingarms that ended their trips.

My wife's DR650 struggled with altitude until we figured out how to choke the carby jet with some copper wire. But otherwise didn't skip a beat.

My KTM hit a pot hole at speed which required an impromptu service with parts I was carrying. And the fuel pump disagreed with altitude as well but thankfully DHL got me a new one before it totally died.

Hot tip, don't ride in formation on unknown roads.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
... and just had a squiz at the new Suzuki VStrom 800, as I didn't even know it existed.

Regardless, it is not a VStrom, it is a ParallelStrom.

Ultra Lord

I was looking to go a bit more on the dirt side than the V-Strom and the Translap and the T7 is that, plus it doesn't have all the modes and electronics that a lot of the other brands have.
Haven't really thought about the BMW bikes, I'll have to do a bit of research and get take up latte drinking. ;)

BMW's design and built by Rotax apparently.
Plenty of T7’s kicking around sydney sitting out front of cafe’s, don’t you worry haha.
They are awesome, throw some cash at the ol’ suspenders and get a brace for the front dash and happy days!
The one I’ve ridden had good offroad manners, still a big 200kg+ adv bike but felt like a trailbike to sit on. If I had the budget a T7 with tractive fork cartridges and shock would be whats in the garage instead of my F800GS.

Ultra Lord

... and just had a squiz at the new Suzuki VStrom 800, as I didn't even know it existed.

Regardless, it is not a VStrom, it is a ParallelStrom.
Watched a video of some dude trying to say the V in V-strom never referred to V-twin, but meant “versatile”. Pfft, we all know what it really meant.

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Here I am daydreaming about a el cheapo to “ make into a scrambler style thingy “ - just ride on forest roads etc .

I think owning a motorcycle is like owning a boat , or having an interest in mtb … hahaha

what is it , ‘ wheels or tits , both cost heaps ‘

Oddjob

Here I am daydreaming about a el cheapo to “ make into a scrambler style thingy “ - just ride on forest roads etc .

I think owning a motorcycle is like owning a boat , or having an interest in mtb … hahaha

what is it , ‘ wheels or tits , both cost heaps ‘
An old DR650, XT600 or Africa Twin would fit that bill.

Stredda

Plenty of T7’s kicking around sydney sitting out front of cafe’s, don’t you worry haha.
They are awesome, throw some cash at the ol’ suspenders and get a brace for the front dash and happy days!
The one I’ve ridden had good offroad manners, still a big 200kg+ adv bike but felt like a trailbike to sit on. If I had the budget a T7 with tractive fork cartridges and shock would be whats in the garage instead of my F800GS.
They do see pretty capable offroad in the right hands.
Have you seen what the Camel ADV guys put their bikes through? :oops:

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Wow, that's some serious riding... the dudes on adventure bikes, even more so.

I have a 650 VStrom and I've got the fricken softest BattleAxes on it that money can buy, so that I get along quite nicely on paved roads. I spanked a young whippersnapper on an R1 a few weeks ago. Anyway, the thought of taking it on any actual dirt is like, yeah na.

But recently, when I'm riding the public road right next to my most very favourite knarly Redhill mtb roadside trail, that my Kona Process routinely eats for breakfast... a whacko part of me, wants to have a go on the VStrom.

I totally know, that I'm ancient (mid 60's) and very broken, and that I'd fuck a pristine example of a bike that no one cares about, and very likely hurt myself in the endeavour... but weirdly, I can't ride that road without wondering.

VStrom with Delkevic Pipe.JPG

Last edited:

Ultra Lord

Wow, that's some serious riding... the dudes on adventure bikes, even more so.

I have a 650 VStrom and I've got the fricken softest BattleAxes on it that money can buy, so that I get along quite nicely on paved roads. I spanked a young whippersnapper on an R1 a few weeks ago. Anyway, the thought of taking it on any actual dirt is like, yeah na.

But recently, when I'm riding the public road right next to my most very favourite knarly Redhill mtb roadside trail, that my Kona Process routinely eats for breakfast... a whacko part of me, wants to have a go on the VStrom.

I totally know, that I'm ancient (mid 60's) and very broken, and that I'd fuck a pristine example of a bike that no one cares about, and very likely hurt myself in the endeavour... but weirdly, I can't ride that road without wondering.

View attachment 397643
Just do it.
She’ll be right, right?