Hacks

Who are you?

• Total voters

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Patent that before I install them throughout the house and don't pay you a cent!!!
I've done my whole house now, well worth it.

("it" being the wait for matching rollers to come back into stock at the local hardware store after I did the first two a couple of months ago!)

dazz

Downhill Dazz
Hate that 'Raaaaaaaaaaatcch' noise when you operate your roller blinds?

Well live in peace and tranquil quiet my friends with Dr Beebenson's patent-pending EzySpin Chainrollerᵀᴹ chain guides!

View attachment 396559

Truth be told I just chopped up the existing plastic lower guide, turned it upside down and added a sliding door roller. If you're going to give it a shot (and please do, the silence is frankly blissful!), please note I've actually 'faked' this shot to make the chain look a bit tighter around the pulley wheel and more logical for the picture. Make it that tight in reality and you'll be dragging your knuckles (no, not like that...) up the window frame.

That's one less OCD twitch left to bug me at home!
Errrm... or you could just get the ones that are designed to do exactly that.

20230218_122723.jpg

I do like what you've done there tho. Take it to the next level by adding a guide on one side and a sprung tensioner roller on the other! Better yet, go full send with some 3D printed rollers in a derailleur and screw that to the wall!

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Errrm... or you could just get the ones that are designed to do exactly that.

View attachment 397145

I do like what you've done there tho. Take it to the next level by adding a guide on one side and a sprung tensioner roller on the other! Better yet, go full send with some 3D printed rollers in a derailleur and screw that to the wall!
Quiet you! It's a novel innovation I tell you! :mad:(Genuinely did not know they made them... :oops:)

But don't worry, I've learnt from the bike industry and how to patent barely different reinventions of existing engineering concepts - Narrow-wide roller blind chain beads and pulleys here we come! :p (Boost finger spacing and clutched tensioners will be the "innovations" for '24 and '25 ;))

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Gearboxes are where it’s at now.
Have they finished arguing over 'standards' while all sorts of brackets are made to make motor 'Y' work with frame 'X'?

I would be torn between surprise and total disbelief if the MTB bike industry agreed to a common standard there. :)

I don't think they have it in them.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I think they do it on purpose, just to be unique and corner the market.

Sram Dub bb/spindle ? 29mm... why not 30mm like everyone else.
Agreed, it is all about a bit of planned incompatibility / competitive advantage.

Just so you can't mix and match and ultimately have to pledge alligence to one camp or another.

Saw this in my travels, the whole purpose of making a BB axle 0.2mm thinner can only be to keep the other guy out. There would be no other good reason. It has been going on for ages.

Screenshot_20230219_114131_Via.jpg

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Agreed, it is all about a bit of planned incompatibility / competitive advantage.

Just so you can't mix and match and ultimately have to pledge alligence to one camp or another.

Saw this in my travels, the whole purpose of making a BB axle 0.2mm thinner can only be to keep the other guy out. There would be no other good reason. It has been going on for ages.

View attachment 397174
It's kind of surprising that the bike industry hadn't done this (More?) decades ago. The Auto industry has been doing it to the consumer for ever, it seems - locking them into a brand, model, and even model iteration/year.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
It's kind of surprising that the bike industry hadn't done this (More?) decades ago. The Auto industry has been doing it to the consumer for ever, it seems - locking them into a brand, model, and even model iteration/year.
I agree. The bike industry may have a lot of standards and incompatibilities but if you look at almost every other product in the market, there is no compatibility between manufacturers.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I agree. The bike industry may have a lot of standards and incompatibilities but if you look at almost every other product in the market, there is no compatibility between manufacturers.
One of the more crappier things companies do to consumers for no other good reason than commercial advantage. It had always been difficult to mix and match and doesn't seem like it will ever improve. Please buy our shiny shit, please................ :cool:

Fred Nurk

No custom title here
I think they do it on purpose, just to be unique and corner the market.

Sram Dub bb/spindle ? 29mm... why not 30mm like everyone else.
FSA's 24.07mm crank spindle size, just that much larger that it won't fit in Shimano / Raceface / Hope bearings....