The QUICK question thread.....

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
I have finally convinced my wife to get on a dually after years of riding carbon XC hardtail. So I am on the lookout for a small frame, 27.5 for her. My question is about the fork. I have a 29 inch Pike but my research says it won't be a good fit.
I also have a Fox that says 29/27.5 on it. Currently on a 29er. Will it really work on a 27.5?
What @Chriso_29er says.

Could I interest you in a Banshee Spitfire V2?

Edit: I've got a Suntour Aion in 27.5 non-boost or I might even have a 27.5 pike in non-boost (I'll have to check the latter)

Last edited:

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
@birddog69 I'm running a 27.5 wheel in a 29 fork on my hardtail.

It won't blow up and you won't (shouldn't) die, but it will lower the front end and change the way the bike handles.

It's easier to work out on a hardtail, but the thing you'll have to check most on a dually is the bottom bracket height.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
What’s the risk with using pay.id?

Selling an old bike and have someone wanting to give me $50 to hold it till the weekend. Locked down FB profile so hard to tell whether they’re legit or not.

But also can’t see how they scan through pay.id. Surely the dollars either go in or they don’t?

ausdb

Being who he is
What’s the risk with using pay.id?

Selling an old bike and have someone wanting to give me $50 to hold it till the weekend. Locked down FB profile so hard to tell whether they’re legit or not.

But also can’t see how they scan through pay.id. Surely the dollars either go in or they don’t?
@ashes_mtb I've used it a few times to send $$ to burners and its gone through quickly from what they have said and my wife has been selling some of the kids stuff they have grown out of / don't use and I have had a random turn up at the door wanting change for a $50 note for something she had advertised for $10 or $20. ( RANT FFS if you are buying something on markeplace or scumtree bring the right amount, don't expect the seller to have change).
In those cases I've said you cant take the sutff unless you go and get some change or I'll take payid to my mobile. The funds have shown in my online banking within minutes of them sending the payment and the random has been able to walk away with their bag of goodies.

I think if they are sending it to you it is reasonably safe, if you don't see the money in your account they haven't paid it and you don't hold the bike for them. But happy to be told otherwise if anyone has had a different experience.

I think the scam is more along these lines.

A few comments in this reddit thread suggest if they wont accept a mobile number payid and insist on using an email it is a red flag.
https://www.reddit.com/r/AusFinance/comments/yc6hu7

Fred Nurk

No custom title here
I've used PayID for sales of a few items, the scam as I understand it is that they assert some bullshit about business accounts and payment limits, they want the email address so they can send spoofed emails that supposedly come from PayID.
Anything that indicates business account or additional payment to 'activate' or 'upgrade' is horseshit.

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
@ashes_mtb I've used it a few times to send $$ to burners and its gone through quickly from what they have said and my wife has been selling some of the kids stuff they have grown out of / don't use and I have had a random turn up at the door wanting change for a $50 note for something she had advertised for $10 or $20. ( RANT FFS if you are buying something on markeplace or scumtree bring the right amount, don't expect the seller to have change).
In those cases I've said you cant take the sutff unless you go and get some change or I'll take payid to my mobile. The funds have shown in my online banking within minutes of them sending the payment and the random has been able to walk away with their bag of goodies.

I think if they are sending it to you it is reasonably safe, if you don't see the money in your account they haven't paid it and you don't hold the bike for them. But happy to be told otherwise if anyone has had a different experience.

A few comments in this reddit thread suggest if they wont accept a mobile number payid and insist on using an email it is a red flag.
I have has this scam tried on me twice. I can see how someone might fall for it but easy to see through

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
@birddog69 this would be a great bike for Tassie
I think the frame would suit her down to the ground, at 160 cm. We have has a few or more discussions but there is a lot of resistance to alloy frames.
She has been on a carbon roadie (8 kg) for 10 years and a carbon XC ht (10.75 kg) for the last 5. Doesn't seem to accept that trail bike is going to be 13 kg or more.
To top it off, she weighs 54 kg, has been riding all here life and was a 10 km runner room 20 years.
I will keep you posted.
BTW, she loves hill climb as most of the men we ride with can't keep up.
Anyway, you very quickly get used to what you ride.
Enough rant!

ashes_mtb

Has preferences

Thanks mate. Deposit landed in my account without an issue. They jumped to put a deposit down without asking any questions about the bike so had my radar up, but must be a legit buyer.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Need to replace some spokes on a second hand bike I just bought. It has double butted spokes the local shops only have straight gauge. Is that going to make any difference to the integrity of the wheel?

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Need to replace some spokes on a second hand bike I just bought. It has double butted spokes the local shops only have straight gauge. Is that going to make any difference to the integrity of the wheel?
No. If you really go to town on tensions, straight spokes will have a different tension required for the same kg force pull as a double butted.

Personally, I would be more concerned about straightening the wheel.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Thanks mate. Deposit landed in my account without an issue. They jumped to put a deposit down without asking any questions about the bike so had my radar up, but must be a legit buyer.
FWIW on the PayID thing, it's also good as a buyer as it's the only way (through your bank, rather than PayPal etc) that you can verify account name match before sending $$.

I.e. if you send via BSB and ACC there is no name verification, so someone with a fake FB profile etc can just give you whatever name they want and there is no way of knowing if it's actually associated with the account. PayID you put in the email or the phone number and it pulls the account name and details for you, which you can obviously then check with who the seller is purporting to be, so is reassuring in that sense.

Last edited:

Freediver

I can go full Karen
The tension on a spoke is measured in Newtons and 1 Newton is the same as any other Newton

Mattyp

Cows go boing
The tension on a spoke is measured in Newtons and 1 Newton is the same as any other Newton
as long as you cross reference your tension meter reading for the appropriate spoke, i.e a 1.6mm spoke at 25 on the tension meter will not be the same tension as a 1.7mm spoke at 25 on the gauge

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Newtons is still Newtons. Spoke "tension" meters measure deflection (or more correctly, relative lack of it) between fixed points on the tool, not tension directly. Different gauge spokes will bend differently at a given tension, so give different readings on the scale. Different tools use different scales; a 25 on a Park gauge will be something like 57 on a Unior on exactly the same spoke.

The clever dicks who wrote the charts have done the boffinry to correlate deflection to tension on various gauges & profiles. Double-butted vs straight gauge doesn't in itself affect the reading, what matters is the thickness of the spoke in the section being measured; a straight 1.8mm will have the same tension for deflection as a 2.0-1.8-2.0 DB or a 2.3-1.8-2.0 triple-butt.