Electric Vehicles etc

Hal-9000

Likes Dirt
Interesting comparison. Would have been better if they just drove the two cars at the speed limit to get a true comparison because really, who is going to drive at 90kph from Adelaide to Sydney but TDLR....diesel was cheaper (even at the current prices!) and made the trip with no refuel stops. I'm pro EV BTW......just need some proper EV vans before I will consider one.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Interesting comparison. Would have been better if they just drove the two cars at the speed limit to get a true comparison because really, who is going to drive at 90kph from Adelaide to Sydney but TDLR....diesel was cheaper (even at the current prices!) and made the trip with no refuel stops. I'm pro EV BTW......just need some proper EV vans before I will consider one.

Not sure i can be bothered watching it, but assume fast chargers are expensive to recharge at? Not exactly news, and not what 99% of your charging will be....

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Not sure i can be bothered watching it, but assume fast chargers are expensive to recharge at? Not exactly news, and not what 99% of your charging will be....
in the flip side, imagine if we chould chose to stick around for 15 mins while the bowser fille dup our cars slower, but made the petrol cheaper :p

Scotty T

Walks the walk
diesel was cheaper
It wasn't though, he spent $130 on diesel and EV was $125. It would have cost more if he had to pay for one of the chargers that was free, most places you stay overnight you can get a free charge, NRMA chargers and some shopping centres and showgrounds/caravan parks are free, but there is no free petrol anywhere. If you took two nights to make the journey and got free charging at both, it would be a fair bit cheaper.

Either way the EV made heaps less carbon pollution by being efficient and not getting 100% energy from fossil fuels. While ever you are not travelling 1400km in two days (90% of average driving) it will cost about half the price of the diesel.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
only if you didn't have to pay for accommodation. Sleep in the car? :p
Nah if I'm driving that far it's generally through places I've never been so accommodation and time looking around would be factored in, petrol or EV. If I really must go that far in a hurry I'm not driving.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
It still a lottery to try and drive long distances, especially on public holidays, xmas etc. Relying on chargers to be working or not in use.

I have 3-phase at my house, got the gear to run a 3ph supply and socket. The car my missus is getting can only charge at a max 7kw single phase but might as well run 3ph to future proof.
The charger (looked at a few but not bought one yet) will have a type2 to type 2 lead so she can use that at the free council charging points if she really needed to but she does a min/max of 5/30km a day so a vehicle with 320km range will last her a week or two and charging a 50kwh vehicle at 7kwh will charge it from zero to full in around 7hrs overnight at home.

I'll get a move on when we get the delivery date but the 'granny' charger will do for a while.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It still a lottery to try and drive long distances, especially on public holidays, xmas etc. Relying on chargers to be working or not in use.
It all depends on what you define long distances as and where you are. Personally, I've never had to wait and never had a charger not be working (I do check before travelling on plugshare) but I have only done maybe 7-8000 country km in the last 18 months and most of that between charging points (300km or less each leg)

ozzybmx

It all depends on what you define long distances as and where you are. Personally, I've never had to wait and never had a charger not be working (I do check before travelling on plugshare) but I have only done maybe 7-8000 country km in the last 18 months and most of that between charging points (300km or less each leg)
300km, read my post.

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ducked out to the shops early today and free charger spot was available so parked and plugged in there. 3 spots, all the faster home charger types so not really that fast. Came back to people queuing for them. I can only assume people are relying on these chargers, which seems an awfully inefficient way to run your life. Might also explain the signs saying no parking overnight and max 3 hours charging per day.

ozzybmx

Sent BYD an email today asking about an invoice for Toyota Fleet.

They called me rather than reply to the email.

The invoice would be generated when they knew the VIN of my vehicle, which would be last week of Feb, first week of March when the car arrived as its currently in transit.

My login to the website shows the car has not yet started production.

Wasn't expecting it till April-May as advised initially.

Haakon

Head of Toyota has resigned. Wonder if the new guy can save the company?

Toyota is carrying insane levels of debt and has been investing in a lot that isn’t electrification, so is in a precarious position.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)

Toyota is carrying insane levels of debt and has been investing in a lot that isn’t electrification, so is in a precarious position.
Step 1: Put trophy truck style suspension under a 70 series. Then charge an additional $4500 dollar upgrade from the 'factory' trophy truck suspension with inline shocks to very visibly Fox logo branded remote reservoir shock dampers visible through the wheelarches.

Step 2: Pump out the guards 70mm each side and put wider wheels and tyres with an aggressive A/T tread. $2500 upgrade to fake bead-lock alloy multispoke rims painted black but with cheap-arse looking colourful zinc-plated non functional "beadlock" bolts around the rim.

Step 3: Punch out the bore and fit a "stroker crank" to the 1VD-FTV V8 engine to push the displacement as much as it'll go. Add an $8000 option for enlarged bonnet scoop, larger intercooler and an extra 9psi of boost.

Step 4: Put some matte-black patches on the bodywork to make it look 'racey'. Offer headlights with LED inserts and de-chromed non essential interior parts of the headlight as an option for $1100.

Step 5: Fit a high-powered stereo from a big-name brand and an awkwardly large and ugly touchscreen in the interior despite all models still having rubber floormats. Tray-mounted waterproof twin 12" subwoofers, oversized amp and enclosure an optional $3300 upgrade.

Step 6: Change none of the cheap/hard interior plastics or basic switchgear, just call it a "Landcruiser V8 Dune Baja edition" and add $150,000k to the price (before options) and sell them to cashed up Bogans and middle-east oil barons.

Step 7: Due to vehicle being a "Sports SUV", decrease service intervals to 6 monthly/7500km with the most expensive synthetic oils available. Mandatory suspension rebuild service every 18 months, and only a 3 year total vehicle warranty.

Company saved.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member

Pity, he was the only thing keeping toyota from being a white goods manufacturer. The grs were his projects. The real ones not the badge spin offs though all are guilty of cashing in on a name plate.

Step 1: Put trophy truck style suspension under a 70 series. Then charge an additional $4500 dollar upgrade from the 'factory' trophy truck suspension with inline shocks to very visibly Fox logo branded remote reservoir shock dampers visible through the wheelarches.

Step 2: Pump out the guards 70mm each side and put wider wheels and tyres with an aggressive A/T tread. $2500 upgrade to fake bead-lock alloy multispoke rims painted black but with cheap-arse looking colourful zinc-plated non functional "beadlock" bolts around the rim.

Step 3: Punch out the bore and fit a "stroker crank" to the 1VD-FTV V8 engine to push the displacement as much as it'll go. Add an $8000 option for enlarged bonnet scoop, larger intercooler and an extra 9psi of boost.

Step 4: Put some matte-black patches on the bodywork to make it look 'racey'. Offer headlights with LED inserts and de-chromed non essential interior parts of the headlight as an option for $1100.

Step 5: Fit a high-powered stereo from a big-name brand and an awkwardly large and ugly touchscreen in the interior despite all models still having rubber floormats. Tray-mounted waterproof twin 12" subwoofers, oversized amp and enclosure an optional $3300 upgrade.

Step 6: Change none of the cheap/hard interior plastics or basic switchgear, just call it a "Landcruiser V8 Dune Baja edition" and add $150,000k to the price (before options) and sell them to cashed up Bogans and middle-east oil barons.

Step 7: Due to vehicle being a "Sports SUV", decrease service intervals to 6 monthly/7500km with the most expensive synthetic oils available. Mandatory suspension rebuild service every 18 months, and only a 3 year total vehicle warranty.

Company saved.
Forgot the mine spec version. A subtle mix of camo and hiviz. 2t of shit scaffolding that isn't needed and spinny orange lights.

Haakon

Pity, he was the only thing keeping toyota from being a white goods manufacturer. The grs were his projects. The real ones not the badge spin offs though all are guilty of cashing in on a name plate.

Forgot the mine spec version. A subtle mix of camo and hiviz. 2t of shit scaffolding that isn't needed and spinny orange lights.
Yeah, the GRs are great as are some Lexus (id very very happily park an LC500 in the drive…). But they’re niche products and not something that will keep them afloat.
Like it or not, the whole industry is having a major readjustment and whilst hot hatches and glorious V8s are lovely the focus has to be on keeping up.

Apparantly theyre carrying an insane amount of debt too.

ozzybmx

Toyota Hybrids have up to a 3yr wait. The LC300 and 70's order books are closed.
The Hilux beat the Ranger in 2022 as the most sold ute and the Prado is always up there as the most popular shopping trolley.

If they can't keep on top with those stats, they are done for.

That's why we ordered an EV. Missus wanted a Rav4 hybrid, 2.5yrs wait or you can buy this demo for 3k more than a new one... I walked out on the parasite chunts.

Like a brand not jumping on the 29er train, they haven't really accepted pure EV's as a future banker.