What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
A tyre with a thinnish band down the middle that helps it roll and hungry knobs on the sidewall to hunker down when needed. I almost described a semi slick but not one of those, just something that rolls nicely when upright makes a difference.
I used to really like the minion semi slick but they seem to have gone out of favour for most people. Actually, to be fair, I guess I have moves on too and tend to go with the dissector now as an all rounder

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I used to really like the minion semi slick but they seem to have gone out of favour for most people. Actually, to be fair, I guess I have moves on too and tend to go with the dissector now as an all rounder
They square off too much on 30mm+ IW rims and engage the side-knobs when rolling along with the bike upright so they're not really that 'fast' rolling given the low-grip center tread.

I tried a eThirteen semi-slick which is very similar tread on a 30mm IW rim and it was great (though predictably not the grippy in the center of the tyre). DH casing variant I had was pretty heavy though so never felt too quick when pedalling uphill, despite how well it rolled on the flats and descents.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
I tried a eThirteen semi-slick which is very similar tread on a 30mm IW rim and it was great (though predictably not the grippy in the center of the tyre). DH casing variant I had was pretty heavy though so never felt too quick when pedalling uphill, despite how well it rolled on the flats and descents.
Probably needed more air :D

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
It is hard to pick a good all rounder.

Assuming just for dirt trails and not cyclepaths then I think it is a trade off between faster rolling more XCish kind of tyres vs. more knobby tyres that look for traction before spinning faster.

I personally like a big bag chunkier front tyre that hangs on and a faster spinning rear. I can live with the rear breaking loose but is easier to pedal up to speed. I sure want the front to hang on since a front wheel washout is high on my bike terror list next to an OTB.

I think this comes way back from my teenage BMXer times where a 2.125 upfront with a bit more traction and a thinner 1.75 snakebelly on the rear was a really common combination. Shows that I am an unflexible old dog that isn't good to learn new tricks but it just feels like the right way to do it :)

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
@Rorschach
Ardent races 2.35 front and back. Will be fine for pump track and footpath, honestly you don’t want full knobby tyres for that stuff.
Enjoy the new found speed, they’ll buzz along quite nicely when pumped up hard.
I do love the Holy Roller as a great rolling pavement friendly front tyre that can deal with light trail duties.

I have utmost respect for anyone with an Ardent on the front. I love those tyres but I can't find the courage to put one on the front :)

Flow-Rider

Burner
Not sure if they actually make them anymore, but they are pretty decent for off-road use.

Probably the most versatile on road / off-road tyre that I've run.

I've been running it on the back of the hardtail for a while now and it's a good all rounder for sure.
Oh, I bought one last year in a 27, but doesn't look like much around for a 29er. :(

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
They square off too much on 30mm+ IW rims and engage the side-knobs when rolling along with the bike upright so they're not really that 'fast' rolling given the low-grip center tread.

Trail boss FTW!

EDIT: I want to try the new Nobby Nic on the front with a Wicked Will on the back. I reckon this would be a good balance of xc/trail.

I did stuff with my bike today too! Rode it (short-ish ride), had a few evolutionary changes to the coil setup which I think is now spot on, basically the topout was a little noisy with rebound more open using the negative coil spring (also tried some o-rings). Today it was a sleeve of closed-cell foam. Silent now.

I also raised up the outer pins on the pedals using 1mm washers and took the 2 inbound pins out (if it works for that hack Hill...). Felt weird without those inner pins on the first run, but I think there is definitely merit in the theory.

Also tested out the inline pump holder I machined. Successfully, I might add (considering the pump was still on the bike after the ride).

received_852557815972043.jpeg

received_1129610421051577.gif

Last edited:

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
I do love the Holy Roller as a great rolling pavement friendly front tyre that can deal with light trail duties.

I have utmost respect for anyone with an Ardent on the front. I love those tyres but I can't find the courage to put one on the front :)
Theres a big difference between an ardent and ardent race.
I wouldn’t go punting down a tech trail with one but for laps of a pumptrack and some gravel roads it’s perfect.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Got out early for a little local spin and decided to take out the Prime. I've had it built and ready to ride for a while and just haven't ridden it to my shame.

The geometry took a little while to get used to and being honest with myself it feels a touch small now I'm used to longer bikes. It's more like a current large than a XL at reach and stack.

Time to dismantle it and sell I think. It's been a blast riding + owning it.

Attachments

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
Got out early for a little local spin and decided to take out the Prime. I've had it built and ready to ride for a while and just haven't ridden it to my shame.

The geometry took a little while to get used to and being honest with myself it feels a touch small now I'm used to longer bikes. It's more like a current large than a XL at reach and stack.

Time to dismantle it and sell I think. It's been a blast riding + owning it.
Swap it for a v3 at least!

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Got dragged around Stromlo in the heat by Dave, he's kept up riding while I've been slack. Longest in a while, 17.9km 314m and 12.9km/h average, ~7km was on road there and back. Need to stick with the program of a couple of rides a week, definitely rusty on much of Trebuchet today, it's totally flogged out again from races last week.