The Woodwork thread

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Started on the jewelry stands.
Cleaned up the silky oak flitchings with the thicknesser. Dropped them all to 19mm.

Plan is to cut this into 3 bases about 250 long. Chamfered ends and raw edge sides.

Cut this into one upright away from the broken edge, set at maybe 75-80 deg rather than square.

And two from this

Need to trim some cracks and splits out. Uprights will be 400 or 500 high.
The camphor laurel is too split to be useful, cleaned it up to 25 thick about 250 x 900. Not sure what it can be used for though.

Last edited:

creaky

XMAS Plumper
I’ve got an old pine timber desk that I’ve been using in the office for 15 years. I’ve taken it home for my wife to use and we have painted the lower parts in a colour of her choosing.

The desk top I have sanded back all the varnish and it’s a nice light colour with some large knotty / grain marking. We’d like to give it a ‘nude’ type finish in satin or matte but I’m confused about the best product to use.

Any suggestions on products tough enough for a desk top but that will keep the light raw pine colour and not yellow off?

Thanks

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
I’ve got an old pine timber desk that I’ve been using in the office for 15 years. I’ve taken it home for my wife to use and we have painted the lower parts in a colour of her choosing.

The desk top I have sanded back all the varnish and it’s a nice light colour with some large knotty / grain marking. We’d like to give it a ‘nude’ type finish in satin or matte but I’m confused about the best product to use.

Any suggestions on products tough enough for a desk top but that will keep the light raw pine colour and not yellow off?

Thanks
Osmo

Specifically this stuff

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
@creaky, satin Osmo Polyx Oil as @Squidfayce said is the business. Penetrating wax so it's good for tabletops and the like that get some traffic, does a really nice job of lifting grain and with a really light 1200grit sand after each of 2 coats it'll come up baby's butt smooth.

Some messmate I did recently with two coats of clear for the top of a window seat I put in our bedroom over the holidays:

65739F5F-5459-43E3-9BB4-4D731E342307.jpeg

Last edited:

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
@creaky, satin Osmo Polyx Oil as @Squidfayce said is the business. Penetrating wax so it's good for tabletops and the like that get some traffic, does a really nice job of lifting grain and with a really like 1200grit sand after each of 2 coats it'll come up baby's but smooth.

Some messmate I did recently with two coats of clear for the top of a window seat I put in our bedroom over the holidays:

View attachment 396457
love messmate. my favorite. Though its worth noting the POlix oil i sugesssted is "raw/transparent" so barely changes the colour of the underlying wood, as per creakys preference, others will add additional tones/hues depending on the product.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Eh, and while I’m here why not - another piece from the holidays, floating shelf for above the bed. 100x30 messmate uprights with a bullnose, with 235x19 Vic ash shelves. Danish oil finish for this rather than Osmo which brought the ash closer to the messmate so not a weird contrast in colours. At 1600mm long it’s pretty solid!

EC63D1F0-35C8-4B9E-A1E2-F3046153778D.jpeg

BED6696F-5ADA-4558-BC91-AC64CCB6DC7F.jpeg