The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Nice mansplainy rant.

I think @Scotty T made it pretty clear he was talking about "chosen ones" in general, a pretty common view of many different religious extremists and eugenicists.

No need to spew out a patronising 2000 word essay accusing someone of anti-semitism when the semantic point (chosenness v chosen people) you're basing it all on was cleared up in the post you quoted.

Let's draw the line at personal shit and religion eh? Last time this happened Hambo got hamboned, and nobody needs to witness something like that again.
Yeah it wasn't the best way for me to say it, and it is true that most religions have elements of be a good human, and elements considered by many in the modern age to be a bad human. I edited out the quote in my post, it wasn't meant to be personal but can see how that could be perceived.

Definitelty not having a dig. Thanks for making me aware of the context in Judaism surrounding the word, I was taking the literal meaning in the English language because it's also a generic word. Religion is complicated, to me the concept of following a religion and believing in a god just became too weird once I was an adult so I know little about the details.

Happy also to leave it there, and keep religious comments to the context of how they affect Australian politics as per the thread topic.

Anecdote, I am 1% Jewish according to Ancestry DNA. No idea where that came from, the rest is first fleet and third generation Aus Scottish.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Also just for the popcorn brigade.

Semite
noun
Sem·ite ˈse-ˌmīt especially British ˈsē-ˌmīt
a
: a member of any of a number of peoples of ancient southwestern Asia including the Akkadians, Phoenicians, Hebrews, and Arabs
b
: a descendant of these peoples
: a member of a modern people speaking a Semitic language

That's most of the middle east and lots of the Mediterranean. So the term anti-Semitism is often used incorrectly or too narrowly.

Better words to use would be bigot or chauvinist.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Anecdote, I am 1% Jewish according to Ancestry DNA. No idea where that came from, the rest is first fleet and third generation Aus Scottish.
Ive always wondered how accurate these things are and how they can be to the 1%. Perosnally Ive been curious to do similar, as my heritage I only know back like 3 generations. Though, i suspect it wouldnt be exctiting. White, eastern european all the way down is my guess.

I however am hesitant to hand over DNA to a commercial company just to satisfy my curiosity.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
to me the concept of following a religion and believing in a god just became too weird once I was an adult so I know little about the details.
Id probably call myself agnostic. Brought up religious, but as soon as i could make my own choices, Nintendo won out. I'm cynical by nature, so having unquestioning faith in something doesn't sit well with me. It feels unnatural.

Aliens however....

Freediver

I can go full Karen
Also just for the popcorn brigade.

Semite
noun
Sem·ite ˈse-ˌmīt especially British ˈsē-ˌmīt
a
: a member of any of a number of peoples of ancient southwestern Asia including the Akkadians, Phoenicians, Hebrews, and Arabs
b
: a descendant of these peoples
: a member of a modern people speaking a Semitic language

That's most of the middle east and lots of the Mediterranean. So the term anti-Semitism is often used incorrectly or too narrowly.

Better words to use would be bigot or chauvinist.

It actually goes back to the Antisemitic League which was a European thing in the 1880's. They were anti jew, anti communist and anti freemason.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
It actually goes back to the Antisemitic League which was a European thing in the 1880's. They were anti jew, anti communist and anti freemason.
The Jews have had a shit run through history. They really shouldn't have poked the Roman bear.