Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Anyone got a dragy? I have some testing / tuning to do and want a cheap baseline tester. Not on public roads before anyone asks. I used one several years ago and it seemed OK. Any current reviews?

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Anyone got a dragy? I have some testing / tuning to do and want a cheap baseline tester. Not on public roads before anyone asks. I used one several years ago and it seemed OK. Any current reviews?
Videos with a dragy overlay are very popular online these days, surprisingly they don’t produce braking distance numbers, aimed squarely at the 1/4mile crowd.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Valve spring compressor finally turned up and I got the valves I thought I’d bent out. They were fine... Turns out there were loose chunks of carbon in the inlet port that had been loosened when the head was hot washed. And when the valves were opened as I turned the engine over they'd fallen onto the seat and propped the valve a little open. It probably would have popped back through the inlet a couple of times and then ran fine...

Oh well. Got it apart now... May as well clean up the valves and give them a lazy lapping job while I'm here. I even spent the 12 euros on a set of new stem seals… Sigh.

MasterOfReality

After forever
I think the BCM in my shitbox is on the way out. I have some weird interior lighting things going on. I have checked that all circuits have continuity, and all fuses/relays are good.

Has anyone had any success in getting one repaired or am I better off trying to source a second hand one?

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Oh well. Got it apart now... May as well clean up the valves and give them a lazy lapping job while I'm here. I even spent the 12 euros on a set of new stem seals… Sigh.
Valve spring compressors lol. It's going to be very nice having a hobby car that just never has any of these problems, and the only special tool will be a multi meter. Every time I hear someone telling a story about an ICE engine repair I say "ha, that can't happen in an electric car".

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Valve spring compressors lol. It's going to be very nice having a hobby car that just never has any of these problems, and the only special tool will be a multi meter. Every time I hear someone telling a story about an ICE engine repair I say "ha, that can't happen in an electric car".
Flat battery.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Youse are fucking hilarious.

I won't write a list of the hundreds of things that can easily go wrong with ICE engine that can never happen to an electric motor.

Seriously though, almost every classic car conversion where I've heard the owners talking about it has said it's the reliability of electric that is the game changer for keeping classics alive and driving.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Seriously though, almost every classic car conversion where I've heard the owners talking about it has said it's the reliability of electric that is the game changer for keeping classics alive and driving.
Homemade electronics letting out the magic smoke.

Modded vehicle getting non-compliance notice and being scrapped.

Modded vehicle being uninsurable.

Modified wiring harness with intermittent fault.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

link1896

Mr Greenfield
That’s bloody terrifying in a ICE car let alone a electric one.
Power distribution block, that’s a lead free soldered pcb, with tin whiskers causing intermittent power loss to subsystems and not triggering a single fault code. Even more fun when it the active sway bar hydraulic system that is fundamental to safe handling mid corner, what bmw calls dynamic drive. Basically a hydraulic pump that sends 2500psi to the sway bars, sway bars are split in half and joined by a hydraulic linkage, up till about 0.5G of lateral acceleration the car stays perfectly level.

Happens once every few months where system turns off randomly for a minute or two, sure makes things exciting.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Youse are fucking hilarious.

I won't write a list of the hundreds of things that can easily go wrong with ICE engine that can never happen to an electric motor.

I find the most cogent arguments always start with "Youse".

Eg: "Youse are a bunch of fuckin molls!"