Burners' Backyards: Veggies, Gardening, Landscape & Design

cammas

Seamstress
I'm getting some Netflix documentary vibes from @cammas forensic analysis of the crazy neighbours.

I feel like the forum should get to vote, choose-your-own-adventure-style, what provocative action he should take each week.
Our plan is to outclass them by redoing the landscaping, fencing just make it look better than their place etc and then plant some non invasive bamboo along my fence so while they’re out sucking on cancer sticks, they can’t sit there staring from their front veranda while I work in the garden.
We are also looking to put up a carport so when we walk in and out of our front door door or park the car they don’t sit on the back veranda watching us or our visitors while they smoke at the back door.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Our plan is to outclass them by redoing the landscaping, fencing just make it look better than their place etc and then plant some non invasive bamboo along my fence so while they’re out sucking on cancer sticks, they can’t sit there staring from their front veranda while I work in the garden.
We are also looking to put up a carport so when we walk in and out of our front door door or park the car they don’t sit on the back veranda watching us or our visitors while they smoke at the back door.
As long as they don't thieve from you and aren't the drug type, you're still winning.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Any recommendations for a native low ground cover alternative to grass? Something that doesn't need mowing?

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Any recommendations for a native low ground cover alternative to grass? Something that doesn't need mowing?
What kind of soil/shade/etc etc?

Native violet and casuarina “cousin it” are popular. Not sure how they’ll go if you also want to be able to walk on it more than occasionally.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
What kind of soil/shade/etc etc?

Native violet and casuarina “cousin it” are popular. Not sure how they’ll go if you also want to be able to walk on it more than occasionally.
It's clay city around here and mostly would cop morning to midday/early arvo sun in summer and even less sun in winter.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I asked my Mum what she put in her lawn years back, response was:

Dichondra repens (Kidney weed). Most nurseries used to have it - I saw it a few times at Poyntons, in punnets.
It needs some water in summer, and won't take heavy foot traffic*. Likes the sun too. I find that in a drought, mine dies off, but quickly returns from seed once the drought breaks.

*Mum potters around the garden and back and forth across the lawn multiple times a day, so when she says heavy foot traffic she means regular trampling by groups of people I suspect. She's also very frugal with watering and the yard has a lot of competition. For your yard it might fair better over summer with occasional watering.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
What you don't see is all the crap up against my fence, he certainly hoards but yeah could be worse, but at least he sold the forklift from the front yard
We have a lot in common. The neighbours on our back fence seems to have a thing for pallets.

They have been hoarded there for quite some time and their kids climb up on them. The fence doesn't need holding up but it is getting it anyhow :/

If it is for firewood then it is bad idea.

Screenshot_20230115_194231.jpg

Freediver

I can go full Karen
Atriplex semibaccata, also called creeping saltbush but so are a couple of other plants. It forms a dense, almost weed proof mat, grows quick and any native nursery will stock it.
Enchylaena tomentosa or ruby saltbush is really cool but can be hard to establish even though it's tough when it gets going.
Kennedia prostrata is another plant I like but wont give you the thick covering
I like Dichondra but unless you keep the water up it grows a bit sparse and tends to die back in summer.
There's also lots of locals that look great as a mass planting but aren't your traditional groundcovers like Microseris scapigera which are edible if your hungry or Minuria leptophylla, the mini daisy.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Another good plant but walk on it once and it looks like shit for the next few months. Also with pigface you see a lot of the South African varieties for some reason in nurseries so be careful.
ah yeah, didnt hthink about the walking aspect. When i think ground cover, im not thinking about something to walk on, just to cover ground.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
for anyone who does rendering, im considdering using the same render as my house, whihc was Dulux Acratex. Though there seems to be not a lot of info online about its application. Dulux has some multi day training for its application so its warranty can be offered so they dont have any training materials online. Anyone here use Acratex before? Just looking to understand theorder of operations/products - ie do i just do a standard cement scratch coat then apply acratex etc?

Maybe if somone can point me to a similar acrylic system that does have materials online that would be great.

cammas

Seamstress
So moving into the next phase of operation “Front Yard” got the guys back who did the retaining wall to come and clean up the top section, as my son changed jobs so he’s got no time plus the quote they gave me was cheaper than us doing it. So it’s now just a blank slate ready for me to build a front fence and lay out some garden beds, also found on the Bunnings website that they have a weed mat that lets the water through but keep the weeds out, so will be looking into it. The guys were also able to get a big stump out thanks to their 7T digger so no need for me to burn a hole in the ground.

Old mate next door and his wife have been having a good sticky nose, well f@ckers it’s your fault I’m having to do this, once the fence goes up and I work out what to plant along the side fence to stop them looking down, we will be able to relax a bit out there. My only fear is his side of the fence is just grass and crap, so he could poison it all and I’ll end up in the same situation all over again
Any how here’s the flat earth.
A7176490-182F-4AE9-A5D4-20CF51DB5AC6.jpeg
F94E7428-8844-425C-B80D-9CCE1132C131.jpeg