Confessions from the fuckwits

nathanm

Eats Squid
Seems there must be a story .....
Ok so the story goes -

Dude advertises a 2015 Demo 8 on Gumtree for $600 + a Norco Rampage DJ for $300.
I buy the Demo 8 and its a POS, here are just some of the things I've found so far -
  • The frame has been repainted blue/black. The Blue is ok, but they taped over the stickers, the black is rattle can and is an abomination, plus they've painted much of the stanchions.
  • Its a 2013 not a 2015
  • Advertised with RS Boxxer World Cup Forks in Good condition, they are not in good condition, but are at least complete with all dials
  • Rear Shock is 8.75x2.75 not 9.5x3.0
  • Advertised as Drivetrain needs a cable and tune. Microshift shifter does not mate with X0 derailleur. The cassette has two cogs 7&8, pressed together without a spacer.
  • Microsoft (sic) advent full drivetrain with 9 speed cassette. The cassette is missing two cogs, derailleur is broken.
  • XT Front brake in good condition, but pads are actually metal on metal.
  • Rear Axle is too short and missing clamp bolt
There is some method to this madness, I just now need to consider if it's worth the time and effort to raw dog the frame and rebuild it with parts from the Boot'r.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I think the older demo fames ran a 2.75 or 2.8 shock for a while. I had a quick google and cant find confirmation prior to 2014 though.

One of the old school crew had a demo 7 and it ran a shorter shock. This was a while back, we built the bike in my old kitchen workshop. Was a brown colour frame. he is a roadie these days.

And the 135mm rear axle with offset rim lacing...of course in those days crc would custom build wheels for free, so not a big problem.

nathanm

Eats Squid
I think the older demo fames ran a 2.75 or 2.8 shock for a while. I had a quick google and cant find confirmation prior to 2014 though.

One of the old school crew had a demo 7 and it ran a shorter shock. This was a while back, we built the bike in my old kitchen workshop. Was a brown colour frame. he is a roadie these days.

And the 135mm rear axle with offset rim lacing...of course in those days crc would custom build wheels for free, so not a big problem.
I bought Jayne a really nice 07 Demo 8 and that runs the 2.75 shock. looks like the 11-14 year models are all 9.5x3.0 which works for me as I have a brand new bomber shock and spring I bought for the bootr.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I bought Jayne a really nice 07 Demo 8 and that runs the 2.75 shock. looks like the 11-14 year models are all 9.5x3.0 which works for me as I have a brand new bomber shock and spring I bought for the bootr.
That might also be around the time spesh changed the frame shape to have a much lower stand over height? That was the bit I liked least about the above mentioned demo 7.

I almost purchased a 2014 demo. Oddly chose a glory instead! Neither had the spec etc I wanted at the time, the glory was cheaper and had more saleable parts for the inevitable strip down. Fuck that glory frame as not what I wanted!

DougalStrachan

Likes Dirt
Over a year ago I got a pair of heavily discounted garish bolle sunglasses with a clear lens that I only use for night riding etc and frankly hardly use. The other day I was looking for some glasses to whipper snip around the house and grabbed these. Went outside and thought to myself - "my it got dark all of a sudden......" Turns out all this time I've had a sweet pair of photochromatic sunglasses

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
So my wife loves having plants around. But she is notoriously bad at keeping them alive. We've found succulents have the best survival rate with her at the wheel.

We've just moved into a new house and shes gone on a bit of a plant and pot buying spree to decorate. She's been lovingly 'repotting all the survivors. At one point, she walks into the lounge and sheepishly starts "you know how I've got that little succulent in a jar, I've been tending to lovingly and painstakingly making sure it wont die and I'm really proud of keeping alive for over a year? well......its plastic."

She's been watering and moving around a little plastic plant to get sun for about 18 months :D

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
So my wife loves having plants around. But she is notoriously bad at keeping them alive. We've found succulents have the best survival rate with her at the wheel.

We've just moved into a new house and shes gone on a bit of a plant and pot buying spree to decorate. She's been lovingly 'repotting all the survivors. At one point, she walks into the lounge and sheepishly starts "you know how I've got that little succulent in a jar, I've been tending to lovingly and painstakingly making sure it wont die and I'm really proud of keeping alive for over a year? well......its plastic."

She's been watering and moving around a little plastic plant to get sun for about 18 months :D
Well, it's the plastic varieties that are the hardiest of the indoor plants.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
We've found succulents have the best survival rate with her at the wheel.
Vaguely interesting story time. a few years ago a friend's Staffy rearranged a section of the back garden we didn't really care about. Ended up digging out a Succulent. Oh well no matter just chuck it on the impromptu compost heap of garden trimmings / weeds we'll get round to doing something with later.

Another mate comes over a month or so after, "hey can I have that Succulent?" Huh why go over and check and after several weeks the fucker is still alive, just hanging out on top of some branches with no visible source of nutrition. Mate takes it and replants it, it's doing great apparently.

I can only assume succulents are essentially immortal. They probably outlive plastic ones.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Vaguely interesting story time. a few years ago a friend's Staffy rearranged a section of the back garden we didn't really care about. Ended up digging out a Succulent. Oh well no matter just chuck it on the impromptu compost heap of garden trimmings / weeds we'll get round to doing something with later.

Another mate comes over a month or so after, "hey can I have that Succulent?" Huh why go over and check and after several weeks the fucker is still alive, just hanging out on top of some branches with no visible source of nutrition. Mate takes it and replants it, it's doing great apparently.

I can only assume succulents are essentially immortal. They probably outlive plastic ones.
yeah we've had one that we take cuttings of to propagate around the place for 20 years and you could literally plant it in a pile of rocks and it would do great. Some are more hardy than others though.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
yeah we've had one that we take cuttings of to propagate around the place for 20 years and you could literally plant it in a pile of rocks and it would do great. Some are more hardy than others though.
I've got a Sedum rubrotinctum that my kids pull the leaves off to throw at each other. It grows wherever the leaves land, including in the gaps of the decking.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
Neither are several species of acacia (wattle) which DMT can be extracted from ;)
As well as phalaris, which grows beside every highway in southern Australia and phragmites. If they were to ban plants containining DMT they'd have to bulldoze 1/4 of the state and tell half the farmers to throw their hay away.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
As well as phalaris, which grows beside every highway in southern Australia and phragmites. If they were to ban plants containining DMT they'd have to bulldoze 1/4 of the state and tell half the farmers to throw their hay away.
Except phalaris extractions result in gramine extractions too. Gramine is toxic. So unless you're well versed in the separation of these two substances and have the additional patience, it's a bad idea. Just hit up some acacia confusa or acuminata and you're golden. Less time, less mess and 100% safe alkaloids.