Can America be fixed?

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
So can Biden win a second term or do they need a new candidate? - sorry if already mentioned but my eyes glaze over as soon as I open this thread :)
I'll give it another go if you like...

IMO my gut feel is Biden should take the unprecedented mid-term success and go out on a high. Generally Presidents announce another run in the new year after the mid-terms, so he's got a few months to consider. While I think he's done a great job appealing as both a centrist and progressive (not sure @moorey would agree there) and made himself a very small target both campaigning in 2020 and during the mid-terms, his age is starting to defy him and the minor slip ups and gaffes (if they continue) can easily be used to paint him as incompetent and unfit for office. Also he'll be 82 in 2024.

There's plenty of talent in the Democrat ranks to find someone who has the same values and appeals to the same breadth of people as Biden. Big shoes to fill though.

moorey

call me Mia
I'll give it another go if you like...

IMO my gut feel is Biden should take the unprecedented mid-term success and go out on a high. Generally Presidents announce another run in the new year after the mid-terms, so he's got a few months to consider. While I think he's done a great job appealing as both a centrist and progressive (not sure @moorey would agree there) and made himself a very small target both campaigning in 2020 and during the mid-terms, his age is starting to defy him and the minor slip ups and gaffes (if they continue) can easily be used to paint him as incompetent and unfit for office. Also he'll be 82 in 2024.

There's plenty of talent in the Democrat ranks to find someone who has the same values and appeals to the same breadth of people as Biden. Big shoes to fill though.
He’s been surprisingly good on foreign policy, and made the best of a bad lot economically. He’s brought in some great reforms but failed dismally in others.
I was dead against him as the nominee, but have mostly been happily wrong about his performance.
But…he’s losing the plot frequently, despite being completely lucid most times. No way he’s got 6 years in him, and he’s devastatingly unpopular with voters. It’s time to go soon, uncle Joe.

Last edited:

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ima hoping Lauren Boebert loses her seat, looks unlikely, but if she does it would bring a smile to my face.
she is as irritating as they come.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
Not sure if true but talk of mtg wanting to be bozos running mate. Hahahahahahahaha.
Interesting fact about MGT, she says that getting vaccinated is equivalent to pledging allegiance to the devil and "It's still fascism, or communism, whatever you want to call it, but it's coming from private companies. So, I have a term for that. I call it 'corporate communism.'"but she has shares in J and J, AZ and Pfizer.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Trumps Twitter has been reinstated.

I am generally pretty impressed with Musk. I think he is a super smart dude and has being a net positive in the world, and I’d like to think I get (and generally agree with) his plans and achievements in EVs and SpaceX. The Boring company feels like a fail though…

But I completely fail to understand the whole Twitter thing… This is likely because I fail to understand the whole Twitter thing in general even before he bought it, so there is probably something I’m missing here!

It’s all pretty weird.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Trumps Twitter has been reinstated.

I am generally pretty impressed with Musk. I think he is a super smart dude and has being a net positive in the world, and I’d like to think I get (and generally agree with) his plans and achievements in EVs and SpaceX. The Boring company feels like a fail though…

But I completely fail to understand the whole Twitter thing… This is likely because I fail to understand the whole Twitter thing in general even before he bought it, so there is probably something I’m missing here!

It’s all pretty weird.
You would be totally fucking wrong then. Have a non rose coloured glasses review of him. Start with his physics degree and work out.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
As for SpaceX, it at least has demonstrably advanced space flight. It is doing weekly commercial launches (and reverse parking the bloody things back on the pad!!) while NASA's latest jobs charity program i mean moon mission has spent how many Billion to be years behind schedule.

I dont think its rose coloured to appreciate the achievements there.