Rotorburn equivalent for utes? - Haakon vs The World

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Given the number of last gen Rangers parked up on farms around the place waiting for driveline parts...I think I'd be sitting back for a bit on the new one.

Though I am a bit interested what NSW Statefleet has been able to negotiate with Ford given the old Ranger was by far the cheapest dual cab for a government department to lease up till recently (options were Ranger, Hilux and Amarok I think). All the local ones end up with ruined suspensions and the odd driveline quirk after three years regardless.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Dampers and springs are easy changes and manufacturers work with companies like arb, tjm and ironman to get a better product. My guess is the whole undercarriage was too light. Are they a ladder chassis? Probably not.
Dunno, maybe our resident euro car man can fill us in, he actually knows quite a bit about cars... just has some strange tastes.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Dampers and springs are easy changes and manufacturers work with companies like arb, tjm and ironman to get a better product. My guess is the whole undercarriage was too light. Are they a ladder chassis? Probably not.
The Alaskan (then and soon) is basically a Navara underneath. It doesn't have the same payload and tow capacity though since its expected usage profile in Europe is different. For Renault to re-engineer it and still build it in somewhere other than Thailand (as they do) makes zero financial sense.

The next one (Alaskan/Navara/Triton) is being developed by Mitsubishi and Nissan and will be shared across all three Alliance brands...just as Ford and VW have done with new Ranger/Amarok and Isuzu and Mazda did with D-Max/BT-50.

mark22

Likes Dirt
I fucking love brake checking those chunts

EDIT: They never tailgate when I'm in my ute, only the wife's swift. Which makes the brake checking so much more satisfactory.

I then blow them a kiss as they rage past.
I get that too, never in the old ute always happens when I'm driving the car and I drive the car faster.
Some people have atrocious driving habits/skill. I've always found it bazaar that folk accept a death toll of around 1,200 and 40,000 seriously injured a year and drive like fools.

Ahhh it will never happen to me, I'm too good a driver...

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
They’re cool, but I’d prefer the mid engined 5 Turbo. Could buy several Raptors with what they’re worth these days….
I’d say the environmental impact of owning 5 with their maintenance and the ensuing oil leaks would be worse than one raptor.

@ozzybmx go hard man, novated lease covers the fuel, they’re less of a boat than the 79 and you can hit kickers. I think they’re cool but not 100k cool, I’d rather try and sink 40k in chassis and suspension mods into an sr5 / wild track. But that’s just me.

Do wot u want, it’s the internet.

@ashes_mtb 2.5 refers to the bore size. Bigger bore = faster bumps. I put them in my Ute, it’s real fun
49F08B84-D884-4CA8-AD81-D7F9A0AC34D9.jpeg

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Base model 2WD Hilux and spend a bit on lowering it and wheels to help it handle half decently and not look like a wannabe 4WD?

It’s still a prehistoric ladder frame chassis though, so not ideal….
Hence the bit about me not wanting to drive a prehistoric tractor ;)
That's why I can't let go of my old hilux single cab, saved me a lot of money, it's got an extra long tray and I've had no need to buy or loan a trailer.
Have similar feelings about my Dad's Hilux (also a single cab). Don't like driving it, but it's hard to hang shit on a vehicle that's been so very useful for saving many many coin on interstate moves etc.
Better than having to drive a commercial vehicle everywhere
That's the thing though, the Ranger I drove (admittedly a pretty top spec one) drove like a Mondeo. I know you're never going to believe that, but equally you're never going to drive one either and find out, so my comment stands :D They're very far from the dual cab sheds I grew up with.

@ozzybmx reckon a new Wildtrack V6 is worth a look too. Less power but more torque and presumably more versatile.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Hence the bit about me not wanting to drive a prehistoric tractor ;)

Have similar feelings about my Dad's Hilux (also a single cab). Don't like driving it, but it's hard to hang shit on a vehicle that's been so very useful for saving many many coin on interstate moves etc.

That's the thing though, the Ranger I drove (admittedly a pretty top spec one) drove like a Mondeo. I know you're never going to believe that, but equally you're never going to drive one either and find out, so my comment stands :D They're very far from the dual cab sheds I grew up with.

@ozzybmx reckon a new Wildtrack V6 is worth a look too. Less power but more torque and presumably more versatile.
Oh I know they drive well so long you don’t find their limits. Frankly that’s half the problem with modern SUVs etc - they drive “normally” (notwithstanding that god awful high driving position and the sideways rocking…).

Until you have to swerve suddenly or something and physics comes calling to remind you that electronics and soft suspension etc won’t stop the centre of gravity and the mass from trying to kill you…

Same can be said of all modern cars really. Limits are better hidden and higher, but there is little warning and when the limit is reached it’s all over…

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Who else is sure that teeny little hatch is WAY WAY overloaded for its towing capacity and towball limits?

Nah, no compromises here...... :rolleyes:

Just fucking dangerous to its little user and other people. And uninsured to boot.
I'm 100% sure that if he did come off the road with an overloaded trailer pulled by that POS, or did serious structural damage , we wouldn't be hearing about it....nothing but crickets!

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I'm 100% sure that if he did come off the road with an overloaded trailer pulled by that POS, or did serious structural damage , we wouldn't be hearing about it....nothing but crickets!
Overloaded? Why would I drive overloaded? I’d just rent something if I needed more than the 700kg or whatever it’s rated for unbraked.

If I overloaded it the insurance wouldn’t hold anyway…

Depends on your compromise needs I guess. Drive much slower for those odd times I need to cart a load, or drive slower (and use more fuel and maintenance costs etc) driving an suv thing most of the time you’re not carrying a load.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Anyway, whatever. I just wanted to know what actually appealed in (are they really 100K…?!) in such things. They defy logic in my head…

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
so a 5x7 caged trailer loaded to the top, plus 2 bikes comes in at under 500kg? (max towing capacity of said POS euro trash)
I call BS...

Haakon

Keeps on digging
so a 5x7 caged trailer loaded to the top, plus 2 bikes comes in at under 500kg? (max towing capacity of said POS euro trash)
I call BS...
Id say it was around the 750kg unbraked (1300kg braked) it’s rated for. That 6x4 trailer was rated for 600kg I think and the springs were far from bottomed out. It wasn’t filled with cement bricks ;)

Sat it on 80kph Melbourne to Hobart for that one trip anyway.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Nope...500kg max!
but you do what you want, you're never wrong!
Hmm. Wonder what I was looking at then… Anyway, that’s the unbraked figure so for things like handling and getting shoved around by the trailer it’s good for 1300kg.

Oddly the Megane I think is 680kg unbraked and it’s a lighter car with smaller brakes and tyres…

And that was a one off! Not a car I’d choose for regular heavy loads, if only because dual clutch auto transmissions are not in their happy place towing - a torque converter is much more sensible.

Last edited:

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I wonder who sets tow ratings in general? Is it a third party independent test thing, or something thats just nominated by the manufacturer?

scblack

Leucocholic
Hmm. Wonder what I was looking at then… Anyway, that’s the unbraked figure so for things like handling and getting shoved around by the trailer it’s good for 1300kg.

Oddly the Megane I think is 680kg unbraked and it’s a lighter car with smaller brakes and tyres…

And that was a one off! Not a car I’d choose for regular heavy loads, if only because dual clutch auto transmissions are not in their happy place towing - a torque converter is much more sensible.
Soooo.....let's compile some facts here:

You have No Clue what the weight of that loaded trailer was.

You have No Clue of the towing capacity of the little Italian hatch.

You have No Clue where you got your towing capacity information.

You have No Clue of the difference between Braked and Unbraked ratings.

Aaaahhh, I see - load ratings are ONLY for Regular heavy loads - not blatantly overweight one-off loads - especially not when they are only for hundreds of kilometres.

Clearly nothing happened - but you were just a danger waiting to happen.