Derby in Tassi

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
He said any community consultation was unlikely to have made a difference as "no-one was going to be in favour of it".

Lol, pretty unusual for an LGA official to be so upfront. You can kinda see their point though, the rental crisis in Tasmania is really, really bad and a lot of that is being fed by Airbnb's taking a big slice out of the long term rental market. However not providing any notice to owners ahead of the change is pretty piss poor.

clockworked

Like an orange
He said any community consultation was unlikely to have made a difference as "no-one was going to be in favour of it".

Lol, pretty unusual for an LGA official to be so upfront. You can kinda see their point though, the rental crisis in Tasmania is really, really bad and a lot of that is being fed by Airbnb's taking a big slice out of the long term rental market. However not providing any notice to owners ahead of the change is pretty piss poor.
Piss off. They're running hotels. Charge then like businesses. They had years to sort out their business models, this shouldn't effect them at all.

I have to pay waste levies for my commercial property and i don't even get a waste service because it's healthcare

clockworked

Like an orange
The one that shat me the most is the article about the derby digs fella. At one point he says something like "this is my life savings we're talking about" as if every other small business owner isn't in exactly the same position (albeit with a few sham trusts and companies in between)

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Got 3 properties in Derby too... flog them off for $800k+ each and there's his retirement.
The council probably should have gave them a heads up but I think it's fair. No one consulted the customers that stay in these places (I'm one of them) of the steep rise in rental fees over the past few years with no increase in accommodation features since the last time I stayed ;)
It goes both ways, accommodation in Derby was certainly not cheap before this levy so someone was making a killing from all this AirBnB.
It hasn't stopped construction there that's for sure. I get over to Derby 4 or 5 times a year and there's some new construction going on there each time I visit.

jrewing

Eats Squid
Went to Derby yesterday since the beginning of the year.
Trails are hammered. Rain and continuous use no doubt. Trees were dropping from the wind. Had 3 separate trees drop in the 3 laps I did.
Had a thought that people that run businesses there “all” need to pitch in, as I know “some” do volunteer work. Rather than just profit off of the trails. Council Builders were doing works but it’s a big network. Just simple stopping and draining big puddles is a start, clearing small branches down etc.
Is it the new riders who are ignorant to the time of non-legitimate networks and only know legal trails. I mean no dig no ride should still sort of apply to an extent?? Everyone has a home network somewhere right?
Since moving to Tas I’ve noticed a distinct lack of man hours put into tracks near me verse the region I came from. Do trail fairies not breed in cold climate or something!?
I believe too many trails are being built verse the man-power available.

Stredda

Went to Derby yesterday since the beginning of the year.
Trails are hammered. Rain and continuous use no doubt. Trees were dropping from the wind. Had 3 separate trees drop in the 3 laps I did.
Had a thought that people that run businesses there “all” need to pitch in, as I know “some” do volunteer work. Rather than just profit off of the trails. Council Builders were doing works but it’s a big network. Just simple stopping and draining big puddles is a start, clearing small branches down etc.
Is it the new riders who are ignorant to the time of non-legitimate networks and only know legal trails. I mean no dig no ride should still sort of apply to an extent?? Everyone has a home network somewhere right?
Since moving to Tas I’ve noticed a distinct lack of man hours put into tracks near me verse the region I came from. Do trail fairies not breed in cold climate or something!?
I believe too many trails are being built verse the man-power available.
I believe the shuttle companies, at least in Derby do chip in a fair bit.
I'm not sure if this is the case elsewhere but I have been running working bees in Tassie for years and it's always been a struggle to get enough volunteers to do the work you need to do and it's often always the same faces. Unfortunately, it's a small percent that actually do help out on the trails.
That being said there are a few people that I know that silently get out there and clean up fallen trees and branches, drain puddles of my local trails. I know of a few times where we have had a big wind event late Friday or on the weekend on the Wild Mersey trails and the trails are cleaned up before the council can even look at it on the Monday.
I'm running a working bee in Penguin this weekend, so I'll be interested to see how that goes.

jrewing

Eats Squid
I believe the shuttle companies, at least in Derby do chip in a fair bit.
I'm not sure if this is the case elsewhere but I have been running working bees in Tassie for years and it's always been a struggle to get enough volunteers to do the work you need to do and it's often always the same faces. Unfortunately, it's a small percent that actually do help out on the trails.
That being said there are a few people that I know that silently get out there and clean up fallen trees and branches, drain puddles of my local trails. I know of a few times where we have had a big wind event late Friday or on the weekend on the Wild Mersey trails and the trails are cleaned up before the council can even look at it on the Monday.
I'm running a working bee in Penguin this weekend, so I'll be interested to see how that goes.
What are your thoughts on the large networks being too much to attend to?
The weather hasn’t been favourable for sure.
Yeah there’s the core team/businesses that definitely put time in out there.

Ozzy, we can’t get more then 2 days without rain atm. The green trails will be ok, but going to take time until the other stuff is good. And it’s quite the windy season atm. Dentonate and Kumaguzza have a lot of washed out exposed root spots. Lower airyagarn side will be a while to come back. The fresh works are already getting wrecked quick as it’s not had a chance to harden.

Stredda

What are your thoughts on the large networks being too much to attend to?
The weather hasn’t been favourable for sure.
Yeah there’s the core team/businesses that definitely put time in out there.
Yes, the bigger and more remote the network the more difficult it is to maintain with volunteers. Most people only have 2 or 3 hours at most to give and if it takes half an hour to walk to the work site, there's an hour of time lost, and you won't actually get much done.
It's the reason why the Dial Range network hasn't gotten any bigger. Until there is reliable yearly funding, CCMBC can't rely on volunteers alone to manage any more that there is already. Trust me. there's lots more trail planned, but we need to be able to look after it too.
Derby would also be difficult with volunteers as it is a long way from any decent population so again, that travel time eats into everyone's free time. It makes sense that the shuttle companies and local business chip in as they are already there, although most Airbnb owners don't even live in the state let alone somewhere close to be able to help. The "waste levy" is a pretty smart idea actually.

Stredda

haha going to be lots of climbing over trees all over Tas for the next week or 2.
And lots of bush-sawing for me . The overtime is killing me
It's pretty rough up in the northwest here today. Expecting the odd tree or two down.