Electric Vehicles etc

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
HICE (Hydrogen Internal Combustion Engines) are a thing. Cleaner than petrol/diesel but still have issues with NOx. Also have the problems associated with hydrogen and no perks of BEV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mazda have been doing it with the RX8 since 2008. The rotary engine is better than a piston engine in regard to hydrogen, as the intake is on the cold side of the engine and helps with preignition with the more unstable gas. It's really just a bit of a stopgap at best.
1666841182601.png

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How does regen braking work if you want to fang around a bit? Like coming into corners at speed etc
It takes more concentration as you have to feather the throttle to find that neutral rolling level or it brakes on you mid corner. Definitely a learning curve there but made up for by the all the torque all the time nature of an electric motor.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
It takes more concentration as you have to feather the throttle to find that neutral rolling level or it brakes on you mid corner. Definitely a learning curve there but made up for by the all the torque all the time nature of an electric motor.
would i be correct in assuming that the opportunity for emergency braking is zero?

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Mazda have been doing it with the RX8 since 2008. The rotary engine is better than a piston engine in regard to hydrogen, as the intake is on the cold side of the engine and helps with preignition with the more unstable gas. It's really just a bit of a stopgap at best.
View attachment 393838
It’s more about the long flame front in a Wankel suiting the combustion characteristics of H2 I think. Either way, wankels are cool

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Noice. Our family car growing up was an NSU Ro80 ;)
Wow they are the original Wankel powered car!
There's still some cool stuff getting done with rotaries (I follow Rob Dham on YouTube) but they are really an engine only suited to racing, and from an environmental perspective, they are pretty dreadful. lol

Haakon

Keeps on digging
There's still some cool stuff getting done with rotaries (I follow Rob Dham on YouTube) but they are really an engine only suited to racing, and from an environmental perspective, they are pretty dreadful. lol
Yeah, unfortunately emissions was always going to be their weak point…

Yes the Ro80 is an awesome thing. Dad traded his 240Z in for it in 1974 when mum pregnant with me. It was the daily until the late 90s with well over 200K Miles on it. He still has it, will be one of my retirement resto projects.

Flow-Rider

Burner
A guy that I used to get to tune my after market engine management installs was one of the first to do a 6 second pass, he sells manifolds for the 6 rotor setup worldwide.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I said previously that I could buy a Tesla, something about we don't judge the (probable) douches that run the other car companies so why would I judge the one that makes only electric vehicles which are the best around, when the others are all still trying to hold on to ICE.

Hopefully he's not running it soon and I could consider a Tesla with a clearer conscience: *

* Which I also know is bullshit, electric vehicles are not here to save the world, they are here to save the car industry and prepetuate the myth of infinite growth.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Close but not quite. Sure NSU were the first to put the Wankel to market, but not with the Ro80. In fact the Ro80 wasn't even the first twin-rotor; Mazda beat them by a few months with the 110S Cosmo. ;)
I sure would love a 110S cosmo… Wonderful critter. 10A engine, de dion suspension with inboard finned drums, and just stunning. Have sat in one once as a kid, and saw one in a museum in Tokyo a couple of years ago (along with a Toyota 2000GT -yum…).

The first production Wankel was the NSU Spider with a 500cc single rotor engine with 37kw.