Live Music Thread

Scotty T

Walks the walk
After the ill fated Canberra gig earlier this year I finally saw Midnight Oil last night for their last show. It was at the Hordern and they did not dissapoint. They played for over 3 and a half hours with 40 songs.
They kept to the scheduled two hours in Canberra on the weekend, but it was still epic. My 23 year old son knew a handful of their songs but many more now that he has seen them live, he really loved it. He'd never heard the extended piano solo in Short Memory nor the drum solo in Power and the Passion, he played piano and drums as a kid but much more piano so he was super impressed with that. I liked the female backing singers, took some of the raw edge off the usual male vocals.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
After the ill fated Canberra gig earlier this year I finally saw Midnight Oil last night for their last show. It was at the Hordern and they did not dissapoint. They played for over 3 and a half hours with 40 songs.
When I was about to buy my ticket I noticed that my 9 year old son was walking around the house singing one of their songs. It was a nice change from Imagine Dragons so I asked him if he wanted to come the the show. He was keen and so was my 11 year old daughter so it turned into a family night out. We stopped in at bunnings for ear muffs for the kids (the missus and I use audio ear plugs, can't recommend them highly enough) and drove up to the big smoke. The kids sat on the floor for a lot of it but got up and danced for the songs that they knew. We all had a great time and it was a good experience for the kids. Towards the end of the gig we had found ourselves surrounded by a bunch of fairly tanked punters as we were near the bar and my son had beer spilt on him. He was annoyed so I had to explain to him that it was an important part of an Oils gig "we can't go home not smelling of someone else's beer can we?"
The band have lost a little of their urgency an intensity on stage but the music sounds better than ever. Even Pete sounds as good/bad as he ever did despite being a 69 year old with severe asthma. Rob the drummer is an still an octapus, but the highlight for me is always the two guitarists. They got me into playing in the early nineties I still find them fascinating. Was great to hear them live one last time.
What plugs do you use? I’ve been using Etymotics for years; due a new set and wondering if there’s anything better out there.

Cyclomaniac

Likes Dirt
What plugs do you use? I’ve been using Etymotics for years; due a new set and wondering if there’s anything better out there.
I use Alpine Pro. They come with three levels of filters that you can swap out. I used the lowest level and still no ringing after 3+ hours. My ears are sensitive to high pitches. My sisters used to bug me with a dog whistle that only I could hear. I took them out a couple of times to see if I was missing out on anything because they do make the music sound a bit muffled but they seemed to be cutting out a lot of white noise so the music sounded much clearer with them in. I have only used Alpine Party Plugs before these which were similar but didn't have the option of changing filters.

Cyclomaniac

Likes Dirt
They kept to the scheduled two hours in Canberra on the weekend, but it was still epic. My 23 year old son knew a handful of their songs but many more now that he has seen them live, he really loved it. He'd never heard the extended piano solo in Short Memory nor the drum solo in Power and the Passion, he played piano and drums as a kid but much more piano so he was super impressed with that. I liked the female backing singers, took some of the raw edge off the usual male vocals.
I had to hold the young fella up for the drum solo, not often he will get to see a water tank in a solo.
The ladies were great, they had to get them in because the late bass player had a very high vocal range. Missy Higgins filled in on a recent Broken Hill gig.

I've also organised dinner at Nola, a New Orleans styled whisky and bourbon bar.

Think I'll sample the 1990 Old Fashioned Copper at $750 a shot.

Now, where did I put my monocle ?

Jpez

Down on the left!
The plan is to see them in Castlemaine. Can't wait
Nice! One of my most memorable gigs was Mudhoney at the MCG. Small bar, Seminal Rats supporting who I was mates of. My 18th birthday. The Rats did Alice’s I’m eighteen for an encore for me and it ended up with the Rats, some of Mudhoney and myself drunkenly all up on stage arm in arm belting the song out badly. Super fun night.
I can’t wait either.