Electric Vehicles etc

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Would you not at least try the standard suspension first? Tyres I get because econo tyres have F-all grip, but maybe the suspension is okay enough?
The standard suspension is likely to be very wallowy. But yes will try standard suspension first.

Replacing crappy OEM Chinese tires are non-negotiable.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

link1896

Mr Greenfield
just back from first road trip in the EV. good and bad to it.

Good - its a great highway cruiser, keeps speed up hills with no effort, no revs or dropping a gear. Chargers are just under 2 hours apart, about 60% of the full battery. charging is very fast with the automatic preconditioning, got just under 1000 km/h charge rate in gundagai and never waited for a stall. Superchargers cost 69c kw/h, more than even peak rates at home and a lot more than overnight (24c) but still cheaper than petrol in most cases. The app would not connect in gundagai (vodaphone black spot) or even in canberra despite decent cell signal. This means you have to guess or go back to the car to see how charging is going. The rate can halve if someone pulls into the adjacent charger so its nice to now these things and take your time over the coffee.
With the large boot, frunk and storage under the boot floor, it loads up almost as well as a full sized station wagon for a family trip.

downsides - you're locked into where to stop. We usually stop in gundagai but wander around the old town, the railway station and bridge. We could do that but still require a 20 minute stop at the services. Reach albury at 40% charge so had to top up a bit for the stay, then again before heading back. The hotel had 4 off brand chargers, which i didnt have an adapter for and which were always parked out in the evening by whoever got there late so was out and back to the charger as needed. Goulburn supercharger is just the far end of a park from the main street where we'd usually stop. bit of a quiet spot if you were alone late at night though. Canberra charger is stuck out near the airport so sort of out of the way. got back to sydney on a single charge though. Took 25% more charge heading south than north.

Autopilot and phantom braking. It was dangerously bad. Anyone parked off the road, brake. A truck parked in a truck bay 20 metres off the road, slam on the brakes. Half a dozen other times i couldn't even figure out what it saw. I found the setting to turn emergency braking off but you have to do that every time you get in. Was constantly aware of leaving large gaps behind cars when overtaking before i found this just in case the car freaked out again.

Auto steer - lethal. Tried it twice on clear stretches and didnt get to 30 seconds with it It tried to follow the solid line on the left which was a turn off into a farm gate. I was still holding the wheel straight but what would have happened when it hit the gravel at 110?

Overall its a decent car for the trip, but would still be very aware of where i was planning to go. Eg jindabyne I could get there fine, but if going up and down to thredbo would I have access to even an outdoor socket each night where I was staying, I can see myself using this over my wifes ICE for bike trips where i can plan ahead and am only taking 1 bike.
Auto steer in a Holden Commodore ZB (a rebadged Opel Insignia) is just as bad, had one as a hire car in tassie, it’s “lane assist” put two wheels into the dirt at 110km/h on me between Launceston and Burnie. Straight road, no break in the left hand white line, broken centre line, at night, no other cars around, had behaved fine for the previous few days. I had hands on the wheel but wasn’t ready for the violent steering angle change.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Auto steer in a Holden Commodore ZB (a rebadged Opel Insignia) is just as bad, had one as a hire car in tassie, it’s “lane assist” put two wheels into the dirt at 110km/h on me between Launceston and Burnie. Straight road, no break in the left hand white line, broken centre line, at night, no other cars around, had behaved fine for the previous few days. I had hands on the wheel but wasn’t ready for the violent steering angle change.
Maybe it saw the Thylacine but you didn’t?

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Some of the comments on social media show people just have no idea about EV's.

Today on a post about Elon saying fuel cells are marketing a number of people posted about putting alternators on Teslas to defy the laws of physics, think they will run ICE engines on hydrogen in the future and it will be zero carbon or feel their human rights are being violated because petrol cars will no longer be a choice one day. Sigh.

Haakon

Keeps on digging

Today on a post about Elon saying fuel cells are marketing a number of people posted about putting alternators on Teslas to defy the laws of physics, think they will run ICE engines on hydrogen in the future and it will be zero carbon or feel their human rights are being violated because petrol cars will no longer be a choice one day. Sigh.
People are fucking morons. This is not news…

climberman

Likes Dirt
Parentals' new Polestar rocked up yesterday. In white (like 99.9% of them).

They like it so far, but the automatic braking is taking some getting used to, sticking to the speed limit more so....
They'll be all over regen braking in a few days, it's a quick adjustment. Some have variable strength settings for it, not sure about the Polestar.
I still marvel a little each time i draw off the accelerator and the damned thing just makes eletrickery.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
They'll be all over regen braking in a few days, it's a quick adjustment. Some have variable strength settings for it, not sure about the Polestar.
I still marvel a little each time i draw off the accelerator and the damned thing just makes eletrickery.
Yeah apparently you can switch it off or have "weak" or "standard" (strongest) settings. They plan to leave it in the latter and just get used to it given it's the best way to prolong battery range.

goobags

Likes Dirt

HICE (Hydrogen Internal Combustion Engines) are a thing. Cleaner than petrol/diesel but still have issues with NOx. Also have the problems associated with hydrogen and no perks of BEV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk