Electric Vehicles etc

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What car is this @tubby74? I had the same problem with the MG HS loanee car from the dealership when my car was being fixed. Apparently the reason why you have to switch them all off all the time is because of the safety requirement as otherwise the car won't even pass safety check!
this is a 22 model 3 RWD.

i believe part of the reason for regenerative braking being always on, when some other manufacturers have the brake pedal use regenerative then the rakes as you press is that you have to quote mileage under normal conditions and this way gives it a better average. LTIH - KPI's that make you work less efficiently to game a bad measure.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
this is a 22 model 3 RWD.

i believe part of the reason for regenerative braking being always on, when some other manufacturers have the brake pedal use regenerative then the rakes as you press is that you have to quote mileage under normal conditions and this way gives it a better average. LTIH - KPI's that make you work less efficiently to game a bad measure.
I think the many other (the 2018 Ioniq I've driven has it) models have levels you can choose and in the high levels you get regen without the brake pedal. I found a list of one pedal driving cars:
  • Audi e tron
  • Cadillac Lyriq
  • Hyundai Ioniq 5
  • Hyundai Kona EV
  • Kia EV6
  • Kia Niro
  • Nissan Leaf
  • Polestar
  • Tesla
  • Volvo XC40
I imagine all of them are tested for the specs in one pedal mode.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Yeah, one pedal driving is one of the many selling points for EVs, and any half decent EV will do it. Its not gaming a measure, its just the way they work.

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
they removed the option from the model 3. you can choose whether it creeps like an automatic or holds for you when stopped, but regen is always on.

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
it can be jerky, sometimes when the battery is full and not accepting the charge it doenst apply at all which can be a problem if you expected braking, sometimes its nicer to have all your braking done on the brake pedal; rather than a mix. In most cases the brake pedal still does regen first so you arent losing that charge.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
it can be jerky, sometimes when the battery is full and not accepting the charge it doenst apply at all which can be a problem if you expected braking, sometimes its nicer to have all your braking done on the brake pedal; rather than a mix. In most cases the brake pedal still does regen first so you arent losing that charge.
Fair enough. Yeah, I can see a learning curve there...

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Good reason to not charge it full as a general rule. I've heard of people who live at the top of hills and having a lot of downhill on their way out int he morning needing to be sure to leave some head room in the battery so the regen works!

Sounds like it could be a software patch they could apply - applying the service brakes to mimic regen when the battery is full so you're never left surprised when it doesn't kick in.

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Good reason to not charge it full as a general rule. I've heard of people who live at the top of hills and having a lot of downhill on their way out int he morning needing to be sure to leave some head room in the battery so the regen works!
the long range and performance models have different batteries which dont like being held above 80% charge, so you only charge full if you're about to head off on a road trip. The rwd has the LFP batteries which prefer a full charge so you only get the option to limit to 50 or 100%, or stop it manually. I just plug in when i hit about 65% and its set to start at 10pm off peak. if i had it run down lower on a trip, id have to manually stop it at 7am or just pay the higher shoulder rates. You can set to charge to be ready to leave or set a start time, but cant set both start and stop times.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
the long range and performance models have different batteries which dont like being held above 80% charge, so you only charge full if you're about to head off on a road trip. The rwd has the LFP batteries which prefer a full charge so you only get the option to limit to 50 or 100%, or stop it manually. I just plug in when i hit about 65% and its set to start at 10pm off peak. if i had it run down lower on a trip, id have to manually stop it at 7am or just pay the higher shoulder rates. You can set to charge to be ready to leave or set a start time, but cant set both start and stop times.
Im surprised there is not more flexibility in programming charging.

climberman

Likes Dirt
Im surprised there is not more flexibility in programming charging.
Every maker seems to take a different approach, very strange.
My leaf I can set charge on and off times, but not set a % cut-off amount.
Would be perfect to set at X:00 o'clock and off at 80%, but alas.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
Every maker seems to take a different approach, very strange.
My leaf I can set charge on and off times, but not set a % cut-off amount.
Would be perfect to set at X:00 o'clock and off at 80%, but alas.
Would it be possible to have a timer installed before the charger, thus leaving the charger ON, to turn off at 80%?

goobags

Likes Dirt
Zappi charger, Tesla car and Home Assistant to control it all. Can start/stop charging at any time, battery percentage or just anything you can think of. Only thing I can’t do is adjust the charge rate.

I have even set it up to pre heat the car but only on days I’m working, ambient temperature needs to be low enough and my phone needs to come off the charger within the right time window plus some other conditions.

Smart things don’t like speaking to each other and Home Assistant takes care of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

climberman

Likes Dirt
Zappi charger, Tesla car and Home Assistant to control it all. Can start/stop charging at any time, battery percentage or just anything you can think of. Only thing I can’t do is adjust the charge rate.

I have even set it up to pre heat the car but only on days I’m working, ambient temperature needs to be low enough and my phone needs to come off the charger within the right time window plus some other conditions.

Smart things don’t like speaking to each other and Home Assistant takes care of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice!

Something for the future when we upgrade from a 15A plug :)

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
And if Home assistant cant, then IFTTT likley can. Between the two, you can do some crazy shit. My New aircon that is not built with voice activation in mind can now be controlled by voice using any google enabled device in my house , even my TV remote's microphone lol. Open source home automation is the future!