Home & Contents Insurance renewals...

Minlak

custom titis
I do have flood cover.
Do you need flood cover is the question??? - So flood is water that rises - Inundation is water that falls - So if your roof comes off in a storm the water damage is from Inundation not flood - If the water rises (like in a flood) then you need flood cover - We are in one of the highest areas if we flood Noah will need to take all the claims anyway

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Ah, Allianz. Didn't realise you hated your money so much. ;)

But yes, doubtless the age of the property probably has a significant impact on the pricing of your premiums.
Allianz IMO don't have the best rep for paying out on claims. I had some travel insurance with them one time. it was only after I got home and was looking into car/home etc insurance that I read some reviews that described Allianz as fuckheads who often refused to pay out on travel claims, That's pretty shit - even for an insurance company. YMMV...
Maybe avoid Allianz travel insurance for any Whistler trip....

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Well well well. A shitty day here in SA and spurred on by this thread, I decided to give my insurer a call and get a breakdown of costs as I have been meaning to do it since getting my renewal.

Also found out that my premium increased by around 18% this year, not 12% as I first thought.

There was a bit of chat and I finished off questioning the cost of my holiday house premium and said I would be getting another quote for it alone... woooo Sir, let me speak with my supervisor and see what we can do for you.

My holiday joint 250km north of Adelaide is costing me 50% of the premium of my main house, $900 vs $1800 yet being 1/5 the price and 1/4 of the sum insured. Plus lived in 3-5 days a month and it has no AD included as there's nothing there really worth insuring for AD.

Getting a call back tomorrow with a revised figure.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
My holiday joint 250km north of Adelaide is costing me 50% of the premium of my main house, $900 vs $1800 yet being 1/5 the price and 1/4 of the sum insured. Plus lived in 3-5 days a month and it has no AD included as there's nothing there really worth insuring for AD.
May be a premium to pay as it's not your primary residence so they assume you're in the cash gig economy.
Also perceived break in risk if unattended?

I can check on it tomorrow as well as emptying your beverages if you want?

ozzybmx

May be a premium to pay as it's not your primary residence so they assume you're in the cash gig economy.
Also perceived break in risk if unattended?

I can check on it tomorrow as well as emptying your beverages if you want?
Please see Discount Code thread for my alarm code.

Reckon there's Paley and Sparkles in there.

And also cause some accidental damage
Can you cause accidental damage to my garden with the lawn mower while you are up ?

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Allianz IMO don't have the best rep for paying out on claims. I had some travel insurance with them one time. it was only after I got home and was looking into car/home etc insurance that I read some reviews that described Allianz as fuckheads who often refused to pay out on travel claims, That's pretty shit - even for an insurance company. YMMV...
Maybe avoid Allianz travel insurance for any Whistler trip....
I'm not insured with Allianz, I've got quotes from them a couple of times and they've always been wildly more expensive than other alternatives. For me AAMI, YOUI, RACV, etc... were all pretty similar, but Allianz was 50-100% more again (on quotes for different products over different years). Allianz seems to trade off opportunistic partnership deals - you know, like when your bank tells you they can arrange a quote for insurance when you take out a home loan or whatever, and some folk don't shop around for comparisons and just go for what's offered because it seems convenient or like a "recommendation" from the bank.

Typically every time I get a renewal notice from AAMI (they've always gone up slightly each year on both the car and house policies) I ring up and say but I can get it for this much from ______ insurance. Them: "Oh, the best we can do is match your last year's premium". Me: "Well do that then". There's obviously still plenty of margin to play with.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
...I was insured with AAMI for about 2 years and found them to be a difficult company to deal with that offered an inferior product. A friend of mine has had 2 bike theft claims through them and been filed over twice. They are a company o would avoid. But when I was with them one of their agents gave me some premium reducing advice in regards to listing portable items with them. He pointed out that I probably only take one bike with me at a time, so didn't need to have all of them covered all of the time. Just ring up and list the specific bike I plan to use before taking it out...then take it off the policy when I am done. So on a Friday I would pick a bike for the weekend then on Monday I would reverse that decision. My daily rider was always listed.

I haven't used Allianz insurance myself, but a friend used their travel insurance for a trip with me to Japan about 10 years ago. On that trip he broke his back and ended up in hospital for a lengthy stay. Allianz looked after him really well with medical expenses, paying for his father to join him and help him out, repatriation with medical support, and covering a bunch of things he had purchased and wasn't going to use (such as accommodation and left passes). He was pretty pleased with their service. I inherited his large stash of unused fireworks and also ate the sacred and unbelievably good salt caramel lollies.

ozzybmx

Just ring up and list the specific bike I plan to use before taking it out...then take it off the policy when I am done. So on a Friday I would pick a bike for the weekend then on Monday I would reverse that decision. My daily rider was always listed.
Twice a week ! Dedication :oops:

I couldn't even be bothered changing a bike 2-3 times a year and going through all the stupid questioning.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
...I was insured with AAMI for about 2 years and found them to be a difficult company to deal with that offered an inferior product. A friend of mine has had 2 bike theft claims through them and been filed over twice. They are a company o would avoid. But when I was with them one of their agents gave me some premium reducing advice in regards to listing portable items with them. He pointed out that I probably only take one bike with me at a time, so didn't need to have all of them covered all of the time. Just ring up and list the specific bike I plan to use before taking it out...then take it off the policy when I am done. So on a Friday I would pick a bike for the weekend then on Monday I would reverse that decision. My daily rider was always listed.

I haven't used Allianz insurance myself, but a friend used their travel insurance for a trip with me to Japan about 10 years ago. On that trip he broke his back and ended up in hospital for a lengthy stay. Allianz looked after him really well with medical expenses, paying for his father to join him and help him out, repatriation with medical support, and covering a bunch of things he had purchased and wasn't going to use (such as accommodation and left passes). He was pretty pleased with their service. I inherited his large stash of unused fireworks and also ate the sacred and unbelievably good salt caramel lollies.
Just as many horror stories on the other side

A friend of mine, medical doctor, had a travel insurance claim with Allianz due to a broken leg before the trip started, they insisted on viewing her medical records from her GP, looking for a single referral for any mental health issues to deny the claim. Always have a second, bulk billing GP for plausible deniability. They cannot get to your Medicare claims history, hence the pressure they place on the claimant to allow access to records.

Fuck all insurance companies with a filthy stick.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Yeah, Allianz for one won't insure property up here.
I grumbled at Allianz for 2 years to repair a pergola that would leak under heavy rain.

They didn't class it as storm damage although there isn't much else I'd think it could be called. Since all was fine in milder weather. They sent out claim denying assessors on two occasions to prove otherwise.

My persistently stubborn grouchiness without resorting to losing my shit did help. Which was hard to do but I was in for the longhaul to win this one. I must have grated on them like sand in their underwear while on a beach day.

Eventually they paid up. Farq them all with an unlubed cactus.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Twice a week ! Dedication :oops:

I couldn't even be bothered changing a bike 2-3 times a year and going through all the stupid questioning.
I was a public servant!!! What else as I going to do on Friday afternoon and Monday morning from my desk? Fuck man...I was busy!!! I should also note I was working part time running a youth mentoring program that required me to ride on weekends. So I was usually doing a few hours Saturday and Sunday on the train and around some seedy locations.