Electric Vehicles etc

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I'm thinking with the BMW conversion I will leave the last section of pipe there, and shove a big red rubber bung in. LED's were in the exhausts of the car my motor came from.

I'd buy some of that fine satin and a couple of small fans like they use to make fake oil lamps in movies props and set them up to blow out the exhaust like blue flames. :p

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Also the Citroen DS - its a wonderful car lumbered with an ancient engine carried over from the Traction Avant... EV suits it perfectly.
Yeah totally. Mate of mine had one, it was wonderful.

My old W124 estate would have been a great donor too.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Yeah totally. Mate of mine had one, it was wonderful.

My old W124 estate would have been a great donor too.
The DMC in the pic is getting a Tesla rear end, there was no way to remove the transfer case from the equation and it was getting flogged with the high torque motor. Mine will run direct drive via the tailshaft and diff.

My next steps are scanning the engine (motor) bay and trans tunnel to then have someone CAD up some mountings and tailshaft extension.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I know a guy who has a Chevy Impala he wants to do something similar too. I should introduce you.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
The DMC in the pic is getting a Tesla rear end, there was no way to remove the transfer case from the equation and it was getting flogged with the high torque motor. Mine will run direct drive via the tailshaft and diff.

My next steps are scanning the engine (motor) bay and trans tunnel to then have someone CAD up some mountings and tailshaft extension.
The UN1 Renault transmission these use is a very robust unit and deals with the likes of V6 Turbo Renaults and Lotus V8s and the myriad of high power engines strapped to them a million home build race cars, but the electric motor torque I can imagine being perhaps a bit much for it.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
The UN1 Renault transmission these use is a very robust unit and deals with the likes of V6 Turbo Renaults and Lotus V8s and the myriad of high power engines strapped to them a million home build race cars, but the electric motor torque I can imagine being perhaps a bit much for it.
Yeah the food dehydrator sized motor produces 160Kw and 612Nm.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
There are a bunch of old cars out there that deserve to be preserved and a few that warrant converting to alternative drivelines to keep them running and in the public eye and even some that should be restored with electric motivation but there are fuckloads that should revert to haematite.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Lol, if we're gonna go with that old trope, he'll more likely need proctology after a conversion:
I think he said he was going for a low-powered cruiser kind of thing. Don't think he wants to get it up to any kind of speed haha.

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
got to head to southern highlands next week but also drop the kid at school first. ABRP says I'll get to clients site at 51% charge. so i guess not getting the kid on the way back is my 6% buffer. the website seems to let me key in expected efficiency but when estimating charge uses a different number. might find myself scaling back to 100 on the hume to get some extra range out of it for the first trip at least, app suggests that gets about 10% more range at 100. Wish they'd put a charger in bowral or pheasants nest so these sorts of day trips.

seems theres a really expensive charger at suttons forrest so might have to extend the trip a little

Last edited: