Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I used to lust over the idea of driving a lap of the ‘ring. Somehow over the years of watching dozens of YouTube videos and trying it on GT a few times the idea has lost its lustre.

Id be renting something fun, and finding some good mountain passes to drive without the scary excess issue.

Mountain passes not on the menu with your schedule, but apparently there’s some good roads near the ring and you could still pop in and spectate for a bit.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I used to lust over the idea of driving a lap of the ‘ring. Somehow over the years of watching dozens of YouTube videos and trying it on GT a few times the idea has lost its lustre.

Id be renting something fun, and finding some good mountain passes to drive without the scary excess issue.

Mountain passes not on the menu with your schedule, but apparently there’s some good roads near the ring and you could still pop in and spectate for a bit.
Well… To get to the ring I’ll need to rent a car one way from Bonn to Frankfurt :)

k3n!f

leaking out the other end
Update on the Range Rover Sport money pit. Firstly, since changing from the black gangsta wheels to some civilized stock wheels the car has had a name change from J Rizzle to Ralph. I feel better already.

I bought this car as it was advertised for $8000 less than the going rate in Victoria for the same car. The previous owner had it serviced 6 months ago which cost an eye watering $5800 to have the timing belt, transmission service and solenoids replaced, water pump and all the water hoses replaced. Selling it after spending so much on it would either mean 1) the owner had decided the servicing costs were too much and it was time to move it on or 2) the owner was told that there was something major that would need replaced or something was about to catastrophically fail. Since buying it and driving it Syd to Melb I have found very little wrong with it other than the suspension getting saggy overnight, which will hopefully be an easy fix with an $80 front valve block. I have been worried though that there is something major cooking that I didn't know about so I took it to an independent Land Rover service place as asked them to have a thorough look to see whether it would pass a vehicle inspection. Drum roll....

They found:
No error codes (!?!?!?)
Worn sway bar bushings
Some minor oil leak around the turbo
Oxidized headlights
No leaks in the front suspension struts (confirming it is likely the front valve block)

This is pretty much as good as I could have hoped for. They said the small oil leak around the turbo was pretty common and unless I was planning on driving around Australia they wouldn't recommend changing it.

I had factored in around $5k to get everything up and running once I bought it as the price was so good, so it looks like I'll have money left over to fix a few cosmetic issues on the car. One reason it was sold cheaply is the car was left in the sun whilst one of the previous owners was traveling for 7 months. The leather dashboard had shrunk, cracked and curled and the steering wheel also didn't enjoy the experience. I've ordered a replacement leather dashboard from a company that makes them in the UK and the end cap from the dashboard from a wreckers. I'll get a tear in the front passenger seat fixed, most likely professionally as it is where your bum goes so a home repair job probably wouldn't last. I've also ordered a door actuator motor ($25) to fix the rear central locking issue.

So it looks like it was a good purchase so far. Maybe I'll spend some of the left over money getting it detailed to have the paint and leather coated. I've never had a car detailed before, anyone know a good place in Melbourne?

Haakon

€200 is car hire only? I personally wouldn't bother with touristenfahrten without instruction.
That’s a good comment. I’m going to do the passenger thing this time. I’m time poor and will be tired, but next time at least I’ll have an idea of what I’m doing.

Haakon

Update on the Range Rover Sport money pit. Firstly, since changing from the black gangsta wheels to some civilized stock wheels the car has had a name change from J Rizzle to Ralph. I feel better already.

I bought this car as it was advertised for $8000 less than the going rate in Victoria for the same car. The previous owner had it serviced 6 months ago which cost an eye watering $5800 to have the timing belt, transmission service and solenoids replaced, water pump and all the water hoses replaced. Selling it after spending so much on it would either mean 1) the owner had decided the servicing costs were too much and it was time to move it on or 2) the owner was told that there was something major that would need replaced or something was about to catastrophically fail. Since buying it and driving it Syd to Melb I have found very little wrong with it other than the suspension getting saggy overnight, which will hopefully be an easy fix with an $80 front valve block. I have been worried though that there is something major cooking that I didn't know about so I took it to an independent Land Rover service place as asked them to have a thorough look to see whether it would pass a vehicle inspection. Drum roll....

They found:
No error codes (!?!?!?)
Worn sway bar bushings
Some minor oil leak around the turbo
Oxidized headlights
No leaks in the front suspension struts (confirming it is likely the front valve block)

This is pretty much as good as I could have hoped for. They said the small oil leak around the turbo was pretty common and unless I was planning on driving around Australia they wouldn't recommend changing it.

I had factored in around $5k to get everything up and running once I bought it as the price was so good, so it looks like I'll have money left over to fix a few cosmetic issues on the car. One reason it was sold cheaply is the car was left in the sun whilst one of the previous owners was traveling for 7 months. The leather dashboard had shrunk, cracked and curled and the steering wheel also didn't enjoy the experience. I've ordered a replacement leather dashboard from a company that makes them in the UK and the end cap from the dashboard from a wreckers. I'll get a tear in the front passenger seat fixed, most likely professionally as it is where your bum goes so a home repair job probably wouldn't last. I've also ordered a door actuator motor ($25) to fix the rear central locking issue.

So it looks like it was a good purchase so far. Maybe I'll spend some of the left over money getting it detailed to have the paint and leather coated. I've never had a car detailed before, anyone know a good place in Melbourne?
that sounds like a good win. Despite my famous disdain for SUVs, I am a fan of euro underdog :)

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
I've never had a car detailed before, anyone know a good place in Melbourne?
I used Sam’s window tinting and detailing in essendon. He was really great, I’ve had 2 cars in with him. One for a 2 stage paint correction and ceramic coating. The other was a new car that was coated. Was very happy with the result.
have also been recommended Sam the man car care in Fitzroy.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
+1 for the passenger option @Haakon, every review I've read of driving the 'ring recommends taking something slow and manageable for your first few laps. There was a place hiring track prepped Alfa 75s that'd probably float your boat if they're still going....

Haakon

Went to do some clean up of the block face, and realised the exhaust valves had given the bores a little bit of a tickle after all…

Not worried about the piston, it’s well above the top ring, but it has made a little bit of a raised lip on the deck.
So - ignore it and let the head gasket absorb the minor raised edge. It’s not on the fire ring so don’t think it would effect sealing. Or maybe use a carbide scraper to knock the top off the raised section?

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Went to do some clean up of the block face, and realised the exhaust valves had given the bores a little bit of a tickle after all…

Not worried about the piston, it’s well above the top ring, but it has made a little bit of a raised lip on the deck.
So - ignore it and let the head gasket absorb the minor raised edge. It’s not on the fire ring so don’t think it would effect sealing. Or maybe use a carbide scraper to knock the top off the raised section?

View attachment 392250View attachment 392251View attachment 392252
Buff pad? Use the ‘fine’ grade one and just lightly brush the raised edge on the corner.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Small flat stone. A wee bit of oil. Just rub it over and back in a random motion. Do you own a scraper? A proper machinists scraper not a fucking rip the wallpaper off the roof scraper. Buy one of the former too because you wont have a stone either will you?

I have some of these I picked up in Japon but didn't pay anything like this...
Suehiro Japanese Whetstone | Multi Stone Multi Shape (GDS-66W) – ProTooling

Maybe something like this...
Suehiro Whetstone Accessories | NGR-30 Nagura Stone (3000-8000) – ProTooling

ES/HR/4 GROZ ENGINEERS HAND SCRAPER, HALF ROUND 100MM - GZ-14601 - ITM Industrial Tool & Machinery Sales

Flat scraper would work too but you have to have the experience with it not to gouge the crap out of the top.

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
The superpro spring eye bushes that came with the springs 13 years were still good, compared to 3 replacements of all terrain chassis shackle mount bushes. The Hub seal is leaking oil because the swivel axle shaft bush is worn.

Last edited: