The QUICK question thread.....

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Going to be in tassie for a day trip in November while the wife is getting some more tattoo work done and am tossing up a bike hire at maydena.

Though anyone know whether there are shower facilities i can use somewhere afterwards (either Maydena or the airport)? Dont think getting back on a plane at 9Pm all dirty and smelly will be a great experience for anyone.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
So obviously in the market for a new helmet.

My old one was a bell super 3r. I bought it for the removable chin bar. I knew it wasn’t DH rated and I’m fine with that as I wasn’t riding anything too sketchy .

I am considering upgrading to the Bell super DH. Now I’m still not riding anything too sketchy, but I like the colourways more. I noted that the super DH while DH rated, is not acceptable for DH racing in AU. SO is the DH rating worth anything really? Ie do I get any benefit over the 3r that’s worth the extra 100 bucks from a safety perspective?

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I still run a 3R for light-duty riding (typically just as a half-lid with the chin-bar removed), but if really wanting it one for true enduro/downhill riding and chin bar protection this thread might be worth a read:

Super DH look a lot sturdier, a few peeps on here have them from memory... @wkkie perhaps?

If you're considering running two seperate helmets (ie: a light/commuter helmet and a MTB full-face for the weekends), the Fox Proframe have a pretty solid rep for holding up to some pretty nasty hits.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
I still run a 3R for light-duty riding (typically just as a half-lid with the chin-bar removed), but if really wanting it one for true enduro/downhill riding and chin bar protection this thread might be worth a read:

Super DH look a lot sturdier, a few peeps on here have them from memory... @wkkie perhaps?

If you're considering running two separate helmets (ie: a light/commuter helmet and a MTB full-face for the weekends), the Fox Proframe have a pretty solid rep for holding up to some pretty nasty hits.
I have a 50 buck commuter that will do the 6km round trip. Was wanting something with the removable chin bar to remove the need for two helmets. I ride more half lid worthy stuff than full face.

Given the description of the damage I'm surprised that helmet is not in worse shape in that review. Ill take a look at the proframe while im having a look at the others.

beeb

Given the description of the damage I'm surprised that helmet is not in worse shape in that review. Ill take a look at the proframe while im having a look at the others.
You've probably noticed the chinbar on the 3R is pretty flexible. I came to view it as a bit more of a scrape preventer than impact protection after reading that thread (I hadn't owned a Proframe at that point). Proframes are solid AF, but are a bit warm in the summertime.

Once I got the Proframe, I still wore it on most rides after getting one purely because I'm ugly enough already, and don't need to risk messing my mug up anymore than nature did. I've also had a pretty solid digger where I broke my collarbone and wumped the ground with my head and rolled into a kind of face-grind along the trail. Glad I was wearing a Proframe and not my 3R that day for sure. Bought another Proframe straight afterwards to replace it, so you can say I'm satisfied with their performance.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
That's good news about the Proframe. I've got a Switchblade which has been great but getting on a bit and also tends to melt you in warm weather. Thinking a Proframe could be a suitable alternative heading into Summer.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
while i was in summit, they had a different opinion on the proframe. Was surprised as it was the opposite of some of the reviews and thoughts here. bit weird. ill give them the benefit of teh doubt that it wasn't a profit driven opinion

beeb

while i was in summit, they had a different opinion on the proframe. Was surprised as it was the opposite of some of the reviews and thoughts here. bit weird. ill give them the benefit of teh doubt that it wasn't a profit driven opinion
They gave me the same spiel a few years back. It seemed to be more based off the experience of some racers they knew. IMO, if you were racing Nationals DH you'd potentially want a sturdier option, but a Super DH or Proframe seems a good amateur-level enduro rated helmet. (ie: I'm slow, unfit, overheat easily, and need the ventilation more than extra protection of a full DH-spec helmet). There's always going to be an element of chance to whatever hit you take regardless, and as much as anything else a helmet that fits well (ie: snug and securely) will do more than the "best" alternative if that alternative doesn't fit your head well.

Only negative thing I've ever thought of with the Proframe is the chinbar having so many large openings means it possibly wouldn't do much if you headbutted a tree with a lot of small (dry) branches as there's nothing to stop them coming through.

Last edited:

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
They gave me the same spiel a few years back. It seemed to be more based off the experience of some racers they knew. IMO, if you were racing Nationals DH you'd potentially want a sturdier option, but a Super DH or Proframe seems a good amateur-level enduro rated helmet. (ie: I'm slow, unfit, overheat easily, and need the ventilation more than extra protection of a full DH-spec helmet). There's always going to be an element of chance to whatever hit you take regardless, and as much as anything else a helmet that fits well (ie: snug and securely) will do more than the "best" alternative if that alternative doesn't fit your head well.

Only negative thing I've ever thought of with the Proframe is the chinbar having so many large openings means it possibly wouldn't do much if you headbutted a tree with a lot of small (dry) branches as there's nothing to stop them coming through.
yeah those openings in the chin bar are massive. In anycase, my coconut is more protected today that it was yesterday. I knew my 3R was light duty and i approached features with that in mind. Wonder if that will change now i have something sturdier.

beeb

yeah those openings in the chin bar are massive. In anycase, my coconut is more protected today that it was yesterday. I knew my 3R was light duty and i approached features with that in mind. Wonder if that will change now i have something sturdier.
@pink poodle will be along to teach you how to send with abandon shortly...