The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
...but tell me that if you weren't experiencing the public pressure and parliamentary enquiries that grill the shit out of you, a divorce and the specter of loss of employment/possible corruption charges that you wouldn't be struggling?
If he wasn't (allegedly) corrupt and tying himself up in knots with his lies, he wouldn't have to face an enquiry.

He was happy enough to sign up for public life and try and drain everything he could from it, no use complaining about the flip-side of the same coin when the consequences come back to bite.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
If he wasn't (allegedly) corrupt and tying himself up in knots with his lies, he wouldn't have to face an enquiry.

He was happy enough to sign up for public life and try and drain everything he could from it, no use complaining about the flip-side of the same coin when the consequences come back to bite.
the enquiry or his behaviors isn't what I'm talking about. I'm talking about people making fun of mental health. How or why someone's mental health deteriorates shouldn't be a factor to whether its ok to make fun of it or not.

Last edited:

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
I can't believe she has so far escaped due process.
Indeed. I wonder if it because she's better covered, or its just not her turn yet.

Ive worked in a place where a regulator came and use the words in a meeting "were coming for you" and 8 years later, nada. resourcing and easier targets have played into the inaction by the regulator in that scenario.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
I made that original post fully aware of potentially looking like I'm making fun of someone with mental health issues, hence my attempt to mitigate it by adding inverted commas around the term. I believe when he first said it it was an utter fabrication, an excuse to hide, sulk and avoid the consequences of his actions after being made to look like a complete idiot because he was behaving like a complete idiot.

You can think I'm being overly harsh. That's fine. If it came across that I'm making fun of him because of his mental health issues (rather than because he's an irredeemable corrupt **** who gives an industry I love an even worse reputation than it already has) then I apologise. That was not my intention.

Last edited:

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt

"I've got 50,000 letters to post to people who already agree with us" :D:D
This is soo the Illawarra Greens ha ha!
I did not see a word from them on the Review of Environmental Factors for the Illawarra Escarpment MTB strategy but lots of protest for non local issues. They do pretend to like mtb each election time while their splinter groups and supporters are so anti mtb.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
I made that original post fully aware of the ramifications of potentially looking like I'm making fun of someone with mental health issues, hence my attempt to mitigate it by adding inverted commas around the term. I believe when he first made that excuse it was an utter fabrication, an excuse to hide, sulk and avoid the consequences of his actions after being made to look like a complete idiot because he was behaving like a complete idiot.

You can think I'm being overly harsh. That's fine. If it came across that I'm making fun of him because of his mental health issues (rather than because he's an irredeemable corrupt **** who gives an industry I love an even worse reputation than it already has) then I apologise. That was not my intention.
nah not a direct point out, just a general "hey, lets not be that guy" thought on mental health. He's a dick. He deserves what he gets.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
the enquiry or his behaviors isn't what I'm talking about. I'm talking about people making fun of mental health. How or why someone's mental health deteriorates shouldn't be a factor to whether its ok to make fun of it or not.
You were talking about his mental health specifically.

Here’s the differentiating factor for me. Was he suffering mental health issues before the enquiry/added public exposure began? Seems not, given he’s stated on several occasions that it has been brought on (paraphrasing here) ‘by the stress of the enquiry’. That’s not “poor mental health”, that’s just experiencing mental duress as part of normal human response to guilt. In simple terms he’s stressed out by the prospect of facing the consequences of his actions.

To me, poor mental health is when everything’s going right but you still feel stressed/depressed/empty/joyless/self-loathing/whatever shit for no reason. Sooking about having “mental health issues” because you’re stressed about facing a reckoning for your actions is not remotely the same thing, so in cases like this “why someone's mental health deteriorates” is very relevant when its timing is oh-so convenient. At no point has he discussed any kind of mental health issue that caused him to make impaired decisions that led him to be the subject of an enquiry has he?

To me, trying to use mental health as an excuse to minimise any perceived liability is piss-weak and an insult to people that actually live with mental health issues day to day while having to grind through life with no/minimal assistance and should most definitely not try to be leveraged as a get out of jail free card. Poor mental health is shit, and changes your perception of reality but doesn’t mean you aren’t conscious of decisions you’re making. It might change the ability to control your decision-making, but again - no suggestions of any issues prior to the enquiry.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
To me, poor mental health is when everything’s going right but you still feel stressed/depressed/empty/joyless/self-loathing/whatever shit for no reason.
I think every mental health practitioner in the world would disagree with you on that. That is one type of mental health crisis.

Mental health is a state of mental well-being that enables people to cope with the stresses of life. That well-being can be impacted by things within and outside of someone's control. Some of which may even be their own fault. That doesn't diminish the importance of someone's mental health to a joke. There's plenty to hang shit on Barilaro for without resorting to joking about real or unreal mental health crises. If you want to debate whether his mental health claims are real or not, sure. Fair game. But there's nothing funny about it.

Again, I'm not asking you to sympathise with the guy. Im just saying making fun of mental health is not ok

Last edited:

LPG

likes thicc birds
I think every mental health practitioner in the world would disagree with you on that. That is one type of mental health crisis.

Mental health is a state of mental well-being that enables people to cope with the stresses of life. That well-being can be impacted by things within and outside of someone's control. Some of which may even be their own fault. That doesn't diminish the importance of someone's mental health to a joke. There's plenty to hang shit on Barilaro for without resorting to joking about real or unreal mental health crises. If you want to debate whether his mental health claims are real or not, sure. Fair game. But there's nothing funny about it.

Again, I'm not asking you to sympathise with the guy. Im just saying making fun of mental health is not ok
I don't disagree on the theory but in this case it is not dissimilar to people considering Hitler's poor mental before he killed himself. When you blatantly fuck people over for an extended period of time and eventually the gig is up. The sadness due to having to finally see some consequences for your actions isn't a mental health crises that deserves much support, particularly when it pales in comparison to the lives you have damaged with your actions (and the poor mental health in those many people due to you).

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Oh theres crocodile tears for sure. but tell me that if you weren't experiencing the public pressure and parliamentary enquiries that grill the shit out of you, a divorce and the specter of loss of employment/possible corruption charges that you wouldn't be struggling? I'm not trying to suggest that we be sympathetic, because his actions are his actions and they have consequences, Just saying id chuck a fucking sickie/mental health day too of i had that hanging over me.

It seems a bit hypocritical for us as grown adults to have a thread about mental health on here where we all try to provide some surface level support, and in another thread laugh at someone else's struggles with it. Laugh at him for being a douche, for being a bad politician, take comfort in that he's paying the price for his behavoiur (as he should), I just dont think the whole denying somones struggles with it is where its at.
(edit-@LPG probably said it better.)
The difference with Bruz, is that his 'alleged' thievery and brazen corruption - including using the police to harass and intimidate others, has probably caused a lot of mental health issues and struggles for others, so I have absolutely zero sympathy for that cunt.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
His brains are leaking out of his ears...
(edit-@LPG probably said it better.)
The difference with Bruz, is that his 'alleged' thievery and brazen corruption - including using the police to harass and intimidate others, has probably caused a lot of mental health issues and struggles for others, so I have absolutely zero sympathy for that cunt.
Difference is my post wasn't about sympathising with him ;)

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
I don't disagree on the theory but in this case it is not dissimilar to people considering Hitler's poor mental before he killed himself. When you blatantly fuck people over for an extended period of time and eventually the gig is up. The sadness due to having to finally see some consequences for your actions isn't a mental health crises that deserves much support, particularly when it pales in comparison to the lives you have damaged with your actions (and the poor mental health in those many people due to you).
I'm not sure why everyone is having a hard time understanding my point. Not once have I suggested he deserves sympathy. In fact I've said the opposite. Several times. I just stated it's not ok to make fun of mental health.

We can't be woke on it, then laugh at it 10 mins later. Just like rape jokes aren't funny, nor are racist jokes.