Electric Vehicles etc

Haakon

Keeps on digging
yes, but the leaf has no official tow rating,
You mean the irrelevant ADRs? It seems to tow just fine looking at the interwebs and several manufacturers make a tow bar for it.

None of my euro style tow bars I have on my cars has an ADR sticket either, but theyre euro standards compliant and I'll trust those more.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
I mean if you ask Nissan, they'll tell you no.

Several manufacturers also make aftermarket ebike parts that void your warranty.

I'm fairly certain it would be fine for a bike, but if you were to start towing tip loads/moving shit regularly and the like I can imagine you might come up against some problems if you had to make a warranty claim on the motor/parts.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I mean if you ask Nissan, they'll tell you no.

Several manufacturers also make aftermarket ebike parts that void your warranty.

I'm fairly certain it would be fine for a bike, but if you were to start towing tip loads/moving shit regularly and the like I can imagine you might come up against some problems if you had to make a warranty claim on the motor/parts.
And you could have issues on an insurance claim too. One other problem I heard was that the cars don't understand trailers so the Guess-O-Meter has even less accurate range.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Meh, if it was an older Leaf especially I wouldn't be worried. Especially if the lack of a tow bar was the only thing stopping me buying one.

It has perfectly conventional chassis rails at the back, not rocket surgery.

As for the range estimator, it would probably still work if it's comparing rate of consumption vs distance travelled.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Meh, if it was an older Leaf especially I wouldn't be worried. Especially if the lack of a tow bar was the only thing stopping me buying one.

It has perfectly conventional chassis rails at the back, not rocket surgery.

As for the range estimator, it would probably still work if it's comparing rate of consumption vs distance travelled.
I generally think that advising modifications that would void your insurance in the event of a collision is not a good idea. Less so for the potential of your own car being written off, more so potentially being liable for the cost of damage to thrid-party property or vehicles. Yes, it would take a sharp assessor to realise - but that's the type of stuff insurance companies look for.

You want to do it and know the risks, knock yourself out. But just saying "I know they're well built" isn't the same as being legally covered and insured in the event of an incident.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I generally think that advising modifications that would void your insurance in the event of a collision is not a good idea. Less so for the potential of your own car being written off, more so potentially being liable for the cost of damage to thrid-party property or vehicles. Yes, it would take a sharp assessor to realise - but that's the type of stuff insurance companies look for.

You want to do it and know the risks, knock yourself out. But just saying "I know they're well built" isn't the same as being legally covered and insured in the event of an incident.
I'm more going off the thousands of Leaves around the world (including Australia) already happily towing stuff around with tow bars specifically made for the Leaf. Its not as if its a dodgy home brew modification!

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I'm more going off the thousands of Leaves around the world (including Australia) already happily towing stuff around with tow bars specifically made for the Leaf. Its not as if its a dodgy home brew modification!
And still not covered under insurance at all.

Mechanically sound is not the same thing and irrelevent when you start advising people who may not realise the precarious position they're getting themselves into in the event of an accident.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
that's millions of dollars worth of risk free returns for insurers driving around. doesnt even need to be a sharp assesor, I'm 100% sure that insurers are aware of aftermarket products that would help them void claims and would know where to look for evidence of it being installed to void a claim.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I'm not advocating anything, up to everyone to think about their comfort levels. Me personally, I'd throw a tow bar on that bitch immediately.

Well, I would if I bought a Leaf which I wouldn't because theyre not a very good EV... My Model 3 sure as shit will have a tow bar on it!

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
went through the NSW rebate forms to EV rebate and stamp duty rebate. Was starting to wonder if i was missing something, the processes are identical, same questions, same order, same documents. couldnt they just have a tick box that says im applying for both of these at once? Also doesnt have the current RWD on the list of approved vehicles, just the older standard range model so far