Coffee Drinkers Anonymous

link1896

Mr Greenfield
We’re slumming it baby. Buys me time till I work out what to do. Many two group machines popping up from cafes closing, a two group Wega in good condition is the goal. Can replace the heater coil with a 2600watt coil.

@johnny I bought this percolator from minimax, fully stainless steel. Most retailers are now carrying stainless.

ausdb

Being who he is
I lived in Nedlands up until 2015 and the water there was the pants. No idea how it passed national standards. It wasn't just like scale, there were all sorts of tannins and weird organic compounds that stained the kettle and cups.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk
Probably lots of old cast iron / galvanised pipe watermains in that area so all sorts of $h!t flowing around. They've done a whole heap of repiping in plastic over the last few year and are still going through Perth.

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
One of the guys in the club was pretty full on in everything he did and went to the effort of setting up a RO system and customising his water profile depending on what he was brewing. Suffice to say he won a lot of competitions...
A lot of the guys do that now and have little RO filters they run it through and will add salts depending on what profile they need.
I follow a couple of groups on Facebook and the guys there have won a heap of homebrew comps with guys like Rocky Ridge and Cheeky Monkey

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Impulse bought one of these when Myer was selling them for $50 or something:

Pretty gimmicky since you have no control over anything, it just has one setting. Its passable coffee though, and fun to watch. A proper siphon and heat lamp would be way better but they are very expensive.
Mr Canary went through a phase of trying out all sorts of coffee making gadgets. We've got one of these:

Super fun to set up and watch, shit to clean.

I think we still have a Rok espresso maker hidden in a cupboard somewhere.

We currently just use the ol' Aeropress and, in summer, a Hario cold brew pot.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Mr Canary went through a phase of trying out all sorts of coffee making gadgets. We've got one of these:
View attachment 385594
Super fun to set up and watch, shit to clean.

I think we still have a Rok espresso maker hidden in a cupboard somewhere.

We currently just use the ol' Aeropress and, in summer, a Hario cold brew pot.
Hate to be inclement, that isn't for making coffee.

smaj

Likes Dirt
Got this combo in December. Wake up every morning excited to pull shots :)
That is a nice looking setup!

Here's my well-used gear (about 12 years old).
  • Isomac Tea Duo
  • Compak K-3 grinder
I've replaced a couple of minor things in the Isomac (hose and steam wand). It keeps pulling good shots, day-in day-out. Couldn't be happier.

I also have a coffee bean roaster, a Behmor 1600, about 10 years old. I do about 1 roast of 400g every week and a half.

smaj

Likes Dirt
Nice! So do you just roast your own or also buy other bags?
Only my own these days. I worked out the maths a while back, and the roaster paid for itself in about a year (in 2010 dollars at least). Green bean prices have gone up recently (the first time in a while), so it was $96 inc postage for 2 x 2.5kg bags a month or so ago (<$20/kg?), so depending on what roasted beans you buy it can be a bit cheaper. The smell of roasting beans can be addictive too :) I keep a 1kg bag of roasted beans from the supermarket as an emergency backup, in case I miss a roasting day or get home quarantined or whatever (the roaster lives offsite at the moment).

It's great too, to be able to choose how dark you prefer your roast, and to try out a bunch of different types of beans. I get mine from Coffeesnobs, and the variety is incredible.

smaj

Likes Dirt
Nice one!
Where do you source the raw beans, and do you get a fairly consistent roast / flavour?
Hey, I get the beans from Coffeesnobs/Beanbay: https://beanbay.coffeesnobs.com.au/Categories/GreenCoffee

The consistency is pretty good these days. I find it changes, depending on how hot the day is, and how humid. I used to live in Sydney, and it was harder to get a consistent roast up there, and I figured it was the humidity. Down in Canberra it's dryer, and that seems to help. Actually, the hotter days in Summer seem to make the roast times more consistent too. During Winter it's a shorter time, and sometimes I end up with beans that are a bit too dark and oily. I've become much better at listening to the roast and getting it right over time though e.g. hear the first crack, wait a bit, don't let it get to second crack. It's quite a lot like cooking, actually :)