Electric Vehicles etc

goobags

Likes Dirt
30% higher energy density, 700km range batteries.
So will they make a lighter car with the same range for the same price or a longer range car for extra money? Will this LFP architecture fully replace the current or only be available as an upgrade?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Secret emissions plan? lol

I was wondering about Hybrids the other day, so a question for the group:

Do Hybrids actually offer any environmental benefit? Seems to me the battery material would be better directed towards straight BEVs, rather than being utilised in making Hybrid vehicles for the purposes of 'reduced' fossil fuel consumption.

I mostly subscribe to the @Haakon model that most Australians are "overcar'd" though, so don't really see the point of something like a Kluger hybrid when the people driving them would oftentimes be perfectly well served by a Corolla, and still have similar fuel consumption from the smaller ICE while freeing up the battery & additional electrical resources for true BEVs.

smaj

Likes Dirt

Good to see a car brand saying they won't have supply issues with EVs to Australia. Especially since I like the form factor of the Cupra Born, and we won't be getting the ID.3 for years here probably.

I mostly subscribe to the @Haakon model that most Australians are "overcar'd" though
I think this is probably true, but it's a hard habit to kick. You buy for what you think your largest trip/load will be (TBH I am probably slightly under-car'd at the moment). I can see the wisdom in having a small car (or small range, regular-sized car) for the city, and then hiring a long-range car for road trips, but would I/could I actually make that choice with my next car? :)

Squidfayce

Eats Squid

Good to see a car brand saying they won't have supply issues with EVs to Australia. Especially since I like the form factor of the Cupra Born, and we won't be getting the ID.3 for years here probably.

I think this is probably true, but it's a hard habit to kick. You buy for what you think your largest trip/load will be (TBH I am probably slightly under-car'd at the moment). I can see the wisdom in having a small car (or small range, regular-sized car) for the city, and then hiring a long-range car for road trips, but would I/could I actually make that choice with my next car? :)
hiring large cars isn't overly cheap and if youre looking to hire around some peak periods (long weekends, school holidays etc) you will be paying a mint. Spent just over a grand for a Landcruiser for 3 days in tassie before covid during a school holiday period.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
hiring large cars isn't overly cheap and if youre looking to hire around some peak periods (long weekends, school holidays etc) you will be paying a mint. Spent just over a grand for a Landcruiser for 3 days in tassie before covid during a school holiday period.
Rental companies let you go bush even in a landcruiser?

Flow-Rider

Burner
Secret emissions plan? lol

I was wondering about Hybrids the other day, so a question for the group:

Do Hybrids actually offer any environmental benefit? Seems to me the battery material would be better directed towards straight BEVs, rather than being utilised in making Hybrid vehicles for the purposes of 'reduced' fossil fuel consumption.

I mostly subscribe to the @Haakon model that most Australians are "overcar'd" though, so don't really see the point of something like a Kluger hybrid when the people driving them would oftentimes be perfectly well served by a Corolla, and still have similar fuel consumption from the smaller ICE while freeing up the battery & additional electrical resources for true BEVs.
Even has a hole in the roof to transport the large pot plants home from Bunnings.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I should have bought an SUV so for 99.9% of the time I could pay through the nose for fuel and pilot a sloppy top heavy POS - but be able to drive 20kph faster for this trip.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
My biggest issue with doing this years ago with a Leaf was the lack of towbar. I have a trailer and small car like @Haakon, and towbar mounted bike rack. No towbar is no deal for us. Trailer saved me delivery fees picking up a freezer and hours in trimming branches to fit them in the green waste bin just yesterday.

Landcruiser off road is a very different price to a Camry. Who travels in school holiday periods when they don't have kids? Bit of planning would have saved you there mate ;)

* I'm sure you had a good reason to travel at that time, which means you really have no reason to complain about the price

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Landcruiser off road is a very different price to a Camry. Who travels in school holiday periods when they don't have kids? Bit of planning would have saved you there mate ;)

* I'm sure you had a good reason to travel at that time, which means you really have no reason to complain about the price
whos complaining? I just pointed out the price of hiring a car isn't overly cheap depending on when you want to go. Most people with Kids will travel when kids aren't required to be at school (peak)- hence the comment. Its relevant. You'd be surprised what a Camry or similar costs during peak too. Wife has been stung ~300 for a small compact for the day when getting some tattoo work done. As to planning - well, we don't have kids so we plan to go when we want and pay the asking price. Its a nice luxury to have.