Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Mechanic mate who does a few engine swap jobs keeps his eye out for ls's and barras. His preferred barra is the lpg engine. He picked up a couple from a wrecker cheaply because the wrecker didn't know and said oh it is only the LPG motor, I have a couple, don't suppose you will take both? Damn, ok but they better be cheap!

Flow-Rider

Burner
I had to change the radiator on my big horsepower 2.4 diesel, possibly 70kw on a cold day. :p

Saltwater spray from beach driving has taken its toll on the radiator fins. Bought the old radiator 13 years ago and never had the top or bottom tank off for a clean, still looks like new inside, I've only ever used Toyota coolant in it since I've owned the car.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Forgot to get a top hose while I ordered the other stuff online but fuck, talk about ripping every poor cunt off, almost $30 for a 250mm hose.

The fan shroud needed a quick repair, probably need to buy a new one down the track.

Flow-Rider

Burner
The brushes would stick on the alternator after a few weeks of not using the car, give the Alt a swift hit and it would un-jamb them, usually the sign of warn brushes. Went to dismantle the brush box to see if they were really worn as the alternator is about 3 years old but only has 30 000km on it. I later found the hold down bolt for the brush box had come loose under the cover, but just as well because someone had crushed a wire when they originally assembled the alternator from new.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
The brushes would stick on the alternator after a few weeks of not using the car, give the Alt a swift hit and it would un-jamb them, usually the sign of warn brushes. Went to dismantle the brush box to see if they were really worn as the alternator is about 3 years old but only has 30 000km on it. I later found the hold down bolt for the brush box had come loose under the cover, but just as well because someone had crushed a wire when they originally assembled the alternator from new.

View attachment 391942
The joys of mass production. No brand is safe from this stuff...

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Spent some quality time at one of the self serve wreckers in Melbourne last week to get another head with unbent exhaust valves for the latest Reno rescue project - $90 seems cheap enough!

Dropped it a great old school engine shop in Hobart yesterday to have it skimmed and hot washed. Super cool guy running it and a great collection of cool stuff in his shop awaiting attention. From a race prepped RB26 block with a big crack in it from when its owner ignored the detonation on a track day, to the Series 1 Land Rover F head block and all sorts of stuff in between.

Now need to order up a bunch of gaskets and parts and hopefully get this thing back on its feet and sold soon.

k3n!f

leaking out the other end

To quote the guy from High Peak Autos on YouTube "Huge black rims on a Range Rover take it from country estate, to failed rapper on a council estate". Step 1 of my project was to get rid of the naff 22 inch black rims, so I found some original RRS 20 inch rims with tyres on gumtree for a great price.

Step 2 is figuring out why the suspension sags overnight. It seems like a front valve block issue based on my YouTube/forum diagnostics. I'll order one in and change that before looking for anything more dramatic.