Nerfonomics

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I'm already going out of my way to make all my personal purchases exclude anything form China as an experiment to see if it can be achieved
It will be interesting to see which companies are bullshitting and hiding their made in (anything but china, but actually it's almost entirely made there and we just screw one bolt on in straya) supply chain.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
It will be interesting to see which companies are bullshitting and hiding their made in (anything but china, but actually it's almost entirely made there and we just screw one bolt on in straya) supply chain.
theres no need to hide anything, people in the western world are driven by value. You will buy a $4 basic unprinted Tshirt from Kmart made in bangladesh by a 12 year old child rather than pay for the equivalent $30 one that was manufactured locally

link1896

Mr Greenfield
you have to apply that thinking retrospectively too. Ie no phone, computer or other electronics for you otherwise you're a pussy :p

But in all seriousness, how will you tell if components of what you want to buy were manufactured in china or not if the item youre buying is not manufactured in china? or you just gonna go half arsed at it and look only at the main label?
With no further info beyond country of origin, consumer goods in a local retail setting relies on supplier honesty. I’ll bet a set of slightly abused crank brothers wheels there is a boat load of untruths. It’s just a fun experiment on a micro level, can’t help what happened in the past with consumer items.

For more serious products, like integrated circuits and passive devices I’m designing with, I am trying to restrict myself to USA, Canada, EU and UK sourced. Some vendors are pushing the fact, like analog devices, waving the flag that location of fab matters.

Flow-Rider

Burner
A lot of these 3rd world countries are seeing the importance of education these days, it will be interesting to see what the future is going to hold for cheap labour. It's obviously going to be around a while longer with some of the corrupt governments but I'm thinking that it will eventually thin out.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Yes, I am sure there are.
Who will implement the change required though?
Well there's actually a law called the modern slavery act, where one of the requirements is for companies to be aware of the risk of modern day slavery across their supply chains and not support it. It's somewhat new (less than a decade?) but the intent is there and you can bet when the audits of some companies ies around their supply chains start showing up, there will be a scramble to fix it somewhat.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Yes, I am sure there are.
Who will implement the change required though?
Consumer choice can have a reasonable impact as well.

I'm much less good at it now than I used to be but I went through a long period of only buying fair trade chocolate.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Well there's actually a law called the modern slavery act, where one of the requirements is for companies to be aware of the risk of modern day slavery across their supply chains and not support it. It's somewhat new (less than a decade?) but the intent is there and you can bet when the audits of some companies ies around their supply chains start showing up, there will be a scramble to fix it somewhat.
I’ve been part of the process of producing a modern slavery act compliance statement.

Australia legislation commenced 2018.

All companies with more then 100 million revenue must lodge a statement with Border Force that they comply.

Zero penalties for non compliance, so doing a “It’s the vibe of the thing, your Honour” by Dennis Denuto from The Castle will do