The QUICK question thread.....

Flow-Rider

Burner
Only arguing how long 'temporary' actually is. Wrangling definitions, I say....... :D
The bigger you make the cells the harder they are to keep cool and then if one drops out you have a substantial loss in output. The initial thought with Tesla was the ease of recyclability I had read years ago.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
i read an elon quote that anyone looking to make a fortune should get into recycling and processing of lithium batteries. Then i wondered why he wasn't in that game...hmmm,

Flow-Rider

Burner
i read an elon quote that anyone looking to make a fortune should get into recycling and processing of lithium batteries. Then i wondered why he wasn't in that game...hmmm,
I wonder how many transport companies want to carry a potential stack of bombs on their truck? The Lipo 18650s are used in a lot of hand tool battery packs.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
I wonder how many transport companies want to carry a potential stack of bombs on their truck? The Lipo 18650s are used in a lot of hand tool battery packs.
Which is why the airlines want those type of batteries in the cabin where they can isolate them if they let go, as apposed to in the cargo happily burning away...

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I have a 135x12 hope pro 2 rear hub. Can I get adaptors to make this 142x12? I think the answer is yes, but I also remember there being a few little caveats around this...

Thanks and please

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
I have a 135x12 hope pro 2 rear hub. Can I get adaptors to make this 142x12? I think the answer is yes, but I also remember there being a few little caveats around this...

Thanks and please
If it was running 135x12 then surely 142x12 caps can be used.
The pro 2 12mm axles have very thin walls due to the bearings they use (15mm ID for the freehub). And were apparently prone to failing.
Pro 2 Evo use 17mm ID in the shell and the freehub so the axle wall is thicker.

Short story, yes I believe you can.

Long story, yes but don't be surprised if it fails. If you have a spare pro2 evo rear axle, caps and freehub you can swap it all out.

Edit: if you want to live dangerously, I think I have a set of pro 2 142x12mm caps you can use to test the theory.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
If it was running 135x12 then surely 142x12 caps can be used.
The pro 2 12mm axles have very thin walls due to the bearings they use (15mm ID for the freehub). And were apparently prone to failing.
Pro 2 Evo use 17mm ID in the shell and the freehub so the axle wall is thicker.

Short story, yes I believe you can.

Long story, yes but don't be surprised if it fails. If you have a spare pro2 evo rear axle, caps and freehub you can swap it all out.

Edit: if you want to live dangerously, I think I have a set of pro 2 142x12mm caps you can use to test the theory.
@moorey would know for sure but I am 93.077% sure the answer is yes. I had a pro2 evo that was 142x12 and had 135QR caps too.

Labcanary

@moorey would know for sure but I am 93.077% sure the answer is yes. I had a pro2 evo that was 142x12 and had 135QR caps too.
The only reason I can think of for it not to work is that some of the pro2 axles were QR specific. That is, they have a restriction in the middle of the axle that only allows a QR skewer to pass through. I'll grab a photo of what I mean. Edit: and a narrower, 10mm ID on the freehub side.
In this case though, given Poods has it as 135x12, the restriction won't be there so it should be a simple swap caps scenario.

Last edited:

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Need to replace my BB in my rat bike I use for trips to the train station. I know is a 73mm sealed cartridge sale bb, but I don't know the spindle length. The manufacturer website is silent too. Anyway to find out without pulling it out and measuring it?

Bike is a trek marlin 5

Labcanary

Need to replace my BB in my rat bike I use for trips to the train station. I know is a 73mm sealed cartridge sale bb, but I don't know the spindle length. The manufacturer website is silent too. Anyway to find out without pulling it out and measuring it?

Bike is a trek marlin 5
Honestly, the best way of getting exactly what you need is by taking it out. The BB should have the axle length listed on a sticker. 10 min job with the right tools.

Try having a look at the tables here, you might get an easy answer:

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Honestly, the best way of getting exactly what you need is by taking it out. The BB should have the axle length listed on a sticker. 10 min job with the right tools.

Try having a look at the tables here, you might get an easy answer:
That's what i was afraid of. I have the tools, just not the time. So was hoping to order and have it delivered by the time i have the time to put the bike up in the stand. Thanks for the link. Not on there sadly.