The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
We as a country did a lot of shit we shouldn't be proud of and it is going to take some time to turn opinions around. You can argue all you like about whether it is pointless or will do any good. In my opinion any little token is better than nothing. To be honest I thought the days of black shaming were long gone but I had a recent example outlined to me and I was speechless. Guess there are more dinosaurs out there than I thought.
There is literally nothing that will change the minds of the dinosaurs/boomers/bogans. And there are lots of them out there. It doesn't help that there are parts of Australia that would make a third world country look good.

I'm more worried about the people in the middle. The ones who think celebrating NAIDOC week and doing acknowledgement to country is anywhere near enough.

I'm probably about the furthest thing from woke possible, but it fucking grinds my gears that indeginous Australians are statistically fucked from birth. That is not what should be happening in a modern liberal democracy.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
That's a particularly acute example though - an area of concentrated Indigenous culture and art that a recreational activity can obliterate by its specific actions. On the ground (i.e. where mtb trails are and things like middens etc.) it's a little easier to manage areas of environmental and cultural significance imo.
When Climbers are in proximity to rock art and other areas of cultural significance - Absolutely. Fuck them the fuck off.

I think the climbing community does has a legitimate gripe when areas are closed that have been determined to have no cultural significance, but yet remain closed to climbing. This seems to be the M.O. of Parks Victoria in relation to MTB trails etc even where First Nations Cultural heritage isn't a factor. - weighting the opinions of fevered NIMBY ranting and Parks Vic 'Can't be Fucked' type rangers and management who refuse to work with mtb groups and clubs on outcomes that allow appropriate trail building to happen, IMO.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
There is literally nothing that will change the minds of the dinosaurs/boomers/bogans. And there are lots of them out there. It doesn't help that there are parts of Australia that would make a third world country look good.

I'm more worried about the people in the middle. The ones who think celebrating NAIDOC week and doing acknowledgement to country is anywhere near enough.

I'm probably about the furthest thing from woke possible, but it fucking grinds my gears that indeginous Australians are statistically fucked from birth. That is not what should be happening in a modern liberal democracy.

Here's some fresh depressing data.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-07...-data-shows-disappointing-progress-/101276110

nathanm

Eats Squid
I still WFH. The amount of online shopping that arrives via deliveries for my partner means I've decided I have carte blanche to buy any / all the bike shit I want.

In other news, I recommend WFH.
Despite working for government (who recommend WFH) for a department who advertises the ability to "Work from anywhere" they fight tooth and nail to stop us working from home, despite the daily emails advising yet another staff member has contracted Covid from our cube farm as we don't have mask mandates, just "moderate" twice daily cleaning. I watch the cleaner use 1 dirty rag to wipe down every surface in a 4 floor building, probably toilets included.

I've been lucky enough to do 3/5 days from home for a couple of months and it is so much better for the physical and mental health, though can confirm I've dropped probably $1k on bike bits.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
When Climbers are in proximity to rock art and other areas of cultural significance - Absolutely. Fuck them the fuck off.

I think the climbing community does has a legitimate gripe when areas are closed that have been determined to have no cultural significance, but yet remain closed to climbing. This seems to be the M.O. of Parks Victoria in relation to MTB trails etc even where First Nations Cultural heritage isn't a factor. - weighting the opinions of fevered NIMBY ranting and Parks Vic 'Can't be Fucked' type rangers and management who refuse to work with mtb groups and clubs on outcomes that allow appropriate trail building to happen, IMO.
There is s part of the culturally significant area that have been destroyed by parks Victoria that are being blamed on climbers. If i recall there was a section that the park claimed climbers had placed bolts for protection placement, but climbers had historic photos of the area that showed parks victoria cages placed over the sections which the bolts had corresponded to to protect art and had at some point later removed because who wants a beutiful rock face covered in a cage? Think there's pics of the site in question here.

also here a good breakdown of some of the grampians BS -

I have a friend who is a climber and a geologist and she absolutely scoffs at how stupid PV is in this regard. But no one listens. quite sad.

Last edited:

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
My first car was a bright yellow 1978 XC Panelvan with a 302 V8. Combined with the white on red P plates I got stopped all the time by cops in the country (always numerous times when on the coast) for car/drug searches etc.

Surprisingly I hardly got pulled over in the city. I think generally the cops were more interested in all the P plate Commodes in the city.
Let's face fact tho - as a Pano driver, they either found drugs or you were excellent at hiding them

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

bear the bear

Is a real bear

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I do wonder about the potential for overusing the acknowledgment thing, it does feel like it jsut ends up detracting from it. It’s gets used in boring branch meetings for a bunch of public servants talking about budgets and staff movements… I’m not sure how that relates to anything.
Mind you, I know bugger all about it. I have basically zero interest in indigenous culture, in much the same way I have zero interest in a lot of cultures. Humans are all a bit annoying…

ForkinGreat

I do wonder about the potential for overusing the acknowledgment thing, it does feel like it jsut ends up detracting from it. It’s gets used in boring branch meetings for a bunch of public servants talking about budgets and staff movements… I’m not sure how that relates to anything.
Mind you, I know bugger all about it. I have basically zero interest in indigenous culture, in much the same way I have zero interest in a lot of cultures. Humans are all a bit annoying…
Are you sure you are not a Bot or a cranky AI, Haakon?

Last edited:

ForkinGreat

I thought I really couldn't be stunned anymore, but the level of absolute shit-fuckery of the previous government still continues to flabbergast me
If anyone was still somehow in any doubt as to why I hated and continue to hate the lnp and its plethora of total cunts, well, there you go!