The cooking thread

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I've tried a few different ways of cooking corned beef but always go back to my mum's.

Rinse the beef under cold water then put it in a pot of cold water. Bring the pot to a good boil and let it go for about 30 seconds. Throw that water away and it gets rid of a bit of the salt and most of the scum that forms while it cooks. Put it back in some fresh water but just enough to cover it and a carrot, an onion and a few bay leaves, go low and slow. A pressure cooker is an option for speeding things up.
When the meat is nearly done throw in the carrots you will actually eat, not just use for flavour and your spuds.
While the vegies are cooking melt some butter in a pot and add some plain flour to make a roux, add milk and some of the cooking liquid to make it into the sauce. I'm a fan of hot mustard so I let the sauce cool a bit before I add it, if you prefer a milder mustard cook it with the sauce and let the heat wreck it.
About a year ago I got caught short cooking at a mate's place and didn't have my bay tree. I went bush tucker and swapped it for lemon scented tea tree. It was a worthwhile experiment.
Lemon myrtle and wattle seed are good too. I planted some bush foods amongst the cabinet timbers.
I have tried various methods with corned beef but still prefer to use a pressure cooker. Quicker and as soft as slow cooking without the meat falling to pieces. The double rinse before cooking is a must though as above.
So far this week I made chicken tacos with remnant chicken breasticles sliced and grilled with a mix spice mix, beef rendang and last night a beef pho. The chicken was a bit average and I should have gone full fajita on it. The others be good.

ausdb

Being who he is
I was going to do this in the pressure cooker last night but a little family emergency changed my plans so it's gone in the slow cooker this morning. Somewhere in there is a nice piece of corned brisket flat that should be done by the time we get home tonight.

Norco Maniac

Is back!
This week's bulk cookup is:

Pulled slowcooker pork and gravy, roast tatties and carrots, and steamed broccoli and cauliflower.

Bacon and mushroom carbonara on spiral pasta (with hidden veg - carrots, cauli and broccoli grated into the sauce).

Chicken slowcooker red curry (which is on a faster repeat than I'm comfortable with but I'm out of inspiration)

Norco Maniac

Is back!
All this talk of corned beef is making me hungry, I think I need to pick up a piece for dinner tonight. Pressure cooker is my preferred method with a few sliced oranges, onions, carrots and eleventy seven random spices.
Never thought to use oranges, thanks for the inspiration!

ausdb

Being who he is
Never thought to use oranges, thanks for the inspiration!
Thanks but I can't claim all the credit, I get my inspiration from this:
The end result was very tasty but also very fall aparty and my wife didn't do the best job of reading the grain on the brisket as it wasn't all flat.

Attachments

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Made chicken kaarage last night in the air fryer. Was ok but shallow frying in the wok is easier. Served it with sesame rice and Japanese salad. Had 10 pieces left over marinating in the fridge. Worked them up for lunch. What sides? Hmmm. Chips!

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Roasted a duck (no, not a family member!) on the baby Weber on the weekend, first time I've tackled any form of poultry on/in it. Tried to keep the fire low so as not to blast the daylights out of it. Probably got a better crackle than when I try it with a chunk of pig.... Loaded with Moroccan spice on the skin got a nice little buzz, and spuds & corn soaked in the juice turned out quite divine. No pics, 'cos I et it all.... :p

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
I bought a 3 bank bread tin from a friend who has a side hustle of making and selling traditional Danish rye bread.
Test batch of boring old white bread today and I'm pretty happy with the tins.
Second proofing in the tins with a heavy metal lid (\m/), baked with lid on for about 20 minutes, then took the lid off for another 15 minutes. Magic. Soup and bread for dinner tonight.

Now I have to adjust my usual recipe to fill the third tin.

Labcanary

You're giving me tremors from flashbacks to my uni job at the Countrybake factory ! Stacking a never ending procession of bread tins (maybe 8 loafers) from the oven outlet conveyor. Hot as hell.
Heavy too, I imagine? The 3 loaf bank with lid is about 4kg

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Heavy too, I imagine? The 3 loaf bank with lid is about 4kg
Yeah, heavy but I was younger and stronger then.
'Pie pushing' was the best task at that factory. Some of the pies didn't make it up the conveyor belt so you had to stand there, waiting to help them out.
The worst was cleaning the sausage roll filling mixing tubs.

Labcanary

Yeah, heavy but I was younger and stronger then.
'Pie pushing' was the best task at that factory. Some of the pies didn't make it up the conveyor belt so you had to stand there, waiting to help them out.
The worst was cleaning the sausage roll filling mixing tubs.
By "helping" do you mean eating the pies?