Little Things You Hate

Flow-Rider

Burner
As someone who lived in and had mates who lived in a succession of ancient share houses I can anecdotally confirm that old places can handle an outstanding amount of abuse and neglect, and things that look like they may give way at any moment just refuse to forever(ish).

Why the downturn in the 90s specifically?
That's when they started to go cheap, pine roof trusses, silicone sealed gutters, paper light doors, softwood door jambs, the worst stuff probably started to hit after the 2000's. I got up on the roof of one of my homes to replace a roof tile and the tiles were cut with one of those pincers where the valley water channels are, it looked like a rat had a go at it and half of the gutter saddles weren't installed, and just thrown in the gutter, it was like that for about 10 years. The gutter saddles were picked up on the inspection as they weren't spaced to the correct spec, so the builder just did all the ones you could easily see from the ground.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Having gone to uni in Dunedin for 5 years (one of the coldest wettest places in NZ).
The old villas were.....ancient. Cold, mouldy (think black mould), drafty etc. However, the workmanship was better than most modern houses in NZ!
You were probably hardy even in a villa, more likely the Cook or Gardies.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Old houses are strong and over engineered usually, outlast anything from the 90's onwards I would say if they've been looked after.
Pffffffft...I owned a house originally built in the mid 1800s a while back. It was a total heap of shit! The building inspection was pretty funny. The fellow was unable to get under the house because in a lot of spots it was just sitting on the ground without piers. He tried to stick a video camera under it but broke the lense on a beer bottle, one of many under there. The original 4 rooms of the cottage were indestructible, that part of the house just moulded to whatever shape it needed to be to survive, including a noticeable hump in the hall way. Grass few up through the floorboards at one stage! The newer parts tacked onto the back were the shit bits. Those extensions just didn't have the quality...I used to dream of the place burning down while I was away. Of course when I purchased it I chose between it and a other similar aged house that had no running water inside!

About 12 years later this guy did another inspection for me. He was like "poodle...that's a distinctive name, did I do an inspection in Islington for you?" And I was like yeah, a long time ago...and he was all "that place was a dump, did you do a knockdown on it? You didn't? And it didn't collapse on you? I broke my video camera on a beer bottle and got eaten by fleas!"

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Sadness and a duvet kept me warm :(
I stayed one night in a backpacker's in Dunedin when I was 29. There was a group of about 12 english girls there, 1 American girl, my younger brother, myself, and the wussiest Canadian guy who ever lived. I was 100% confident of getting laid that night...and through a series of calamities and with my brother as the world's worst wingman I still went to bed alone.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
I stayed one night in a backpacker's in Dunedin when I was 29. There was a group of about 12 english girls there, 1 American girl, my younger brother, myself, and the wussiest Canadian guy who ever lived. I was 100% confident of getting laid that night...and through a series of calamities and with my brother as the world's worst wingman I still went to bed alone.
cockblocked by your own brother... damn!!

Flow-Rider

Burner
Pffffffft...I owned a house originally built in the mid 1800s a while back. It was a total heap of shit! The building inspection was pretty funny. The fellow was unable to get under the house because in a lot of spots it was just sitting on the ground without piers. He tried to stick a video camera under it but broke the lense on a beer bottle, one of many under there. The original 4 rooms of the cottage were indestructible, that part of the house just moulded to whatever shape it needed to be to survive, including a noticeable hump in the hall way. Grass few up through the floorboards at one stage! The newer parts tacked onto the back were the shit bits. Those extensions just didn't have the quality...I used to dream of the place burning down while I was away. Of course when I purchased it I chose between it and a other similar aged house that had no running water inside!

About 12 years later this guy did another inspection for me. He was like "poodle...that's a distinctive name, did I do an inspection in Islington for you?" And I was like yeah, a long time ago...and he was all "that place was a dump, did you do a knockdown on it? You didn't? And it didn't collapse on you? I broke my video camera on a beer bottle and got eaten by fleas!"
You're not meant to buy old bordello ranches from the victorian era, next you'll tell me it had ghosts.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
cockblocked by your own brother... damn!!
Twice in the one night! We had just finished a month of snowboarding in Queenstown. He had taken a bunch of photos and videos of the trip and decided to show them to this fine group of women. Naturally he kicks off with the from behind photo of me naked at the top of the remarkables. Then straight into the blooper reel. The cheeky prick couldn't find a single one of the good videos he had, just the crashes.

Despite all that a few of these women weren't deterred! As the night wore on I found myself in the common room with an English lass each side of me on the lounge, the American on an arm rest, and another English sitting opposite me projecting very engaging body language and dominating conversation. In my head she had won. Then one of my lounge buddies had to use the toilet, America quickly slid into her spot, the girl opposite gave up ("I'm not going to win here!") and left, toilet girl came back and gave in, the other english held out for while...I decided they could work it out and headed to the toilet. When I came back America was on the lounge waiting for me. My brother who was still in the room has spent the whole night not realising what's going on and still won't fuck off to bed! I figure I need to ice him a signal...but I can't figure out what. America says she is off to bed, so does my brother, I think "you dirty rat!" And declare I'll stay right where I am for a lot longer yet, and they leave.

About 5 minutes later America is back in a fresh outfit - see through pyjamas! And she comes over to the lounge and we are about to get comfy when in walks my fucking brother!!! Do I want to watch another movie? Do I???? DO I??? It's 3am mother fucker and you know I hate movies! America is all "I'm not into that kinky stuff!" and storms off thinking we wanted to tag team, and my brother suddenly realised what's going on. "Oh I thought those girls were all a bit odd." Sigh...

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Twice in the one night! We had just finished a month of snowboarding in Queenstown. He had taken a bunch of photos and videos of the trip and decided to show them to this fine group of women. Naturally he kicks off with the from behind photo of me naked at the top of the remarkables. Then straight into the blooper reel. The cheeky prick couldn't find a single one of the good videos he had, just the crashes.

Despite all that a few of these women weren't deterred! As the night wore on I found myself in the common room with an English lass each side of me on the lounge, the American on an arm rest, and another English sitting opposite me projecting very engaging body language and dominating conversation. In my head she had won. Then one of my lounge buddies had to use the toilet, America quickly slid into her spot, the girl opposite gave up ("I'm not going to win here!") and left, toilet girl came back and gave in, the other english held out for while...I decided they could work it out and headed to the toilet. When I came back America was on the lounge waiting for me. My brother who was still in the room has spent the whole night not realising what's going on and still won't fuck off to bed! I figure I need to ice him a signal...but I can't figure out what. America says she is off to bed, so does my brother, I think "you dirty rat!" And declare I'll stay right where I am for a lot longer yet, and they leave.

About 5 minutes later America is back in a fresh outfit - see through pyjamas! And she comes over to the lounge and we are about to get comfy when in walks my fucking brother!!! Do I want to watch another movie? Do I???? DO I??? It's 3am mother fucker and you know I hate movies! America is all "I'm not into that kinky stuff!" and storms off thinking we wanted to tag team, and my brother suddenly realised what's going on. "Oh I thought those girls were all a bit odd." Sigh...
New brother time.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
New brother time.
I am not the most subtle of people and we have a pretty good understanding of each other after all these years of brothering. I don't know how he missed it! If he was a good wingman I should have been able to have be early and another later!

I had a similar incident in Japan a few years later. I met a Spanish girl. But there was 6 guys and her in the pension. She wanted to play cards, lucky I'm generally pretty good at card games and a few of the guys were clients of mine. One of whom is a good wingman. The group quickly whistles down to wingman, Spanish, and me. Wingman pulls off into the clouds and leaves us alone. And we start some negotiations and within a few minutes one of my clients arrives fresh from Tokyo airport. It's about 1am...now I should add his guys has been a friend of mine since we were maybe 15. Over all those years he was the greatest of wingmen and alibies. Whenever there was need for back up he was an absolute rock solid go to. So why...? Why? Fucking why did he not read this situation an head straight for his room?

Instead, carried away with enthusiasm for the first night of his trip, he introduces himself with "what do you think of my pants?" Sure...they were a little odd, ok they were really odd. Why the fuck are you wearing flannel pyjama pants? Should have just said "you look ready for bed...good night." But stupid me got drawn into the story of a man who had suffered explosive diarrhoea halfway between Sydney and Tokyo. And if that brief overview wasn't a boner killer, he was unnecessarily grafic about the situation. Now I know you're probably thinking he must has got shit on his travel pants and could only find his pyjamas. That is incorrect. You see in his haste to explode safely on the flight he had not noticed the large amount of piss on the floor of the toilet as he sat down. But when he finally pulled his pants up they were soaked with piss. He then spoke with the cabin staff who thought he had pissed himself... eventually they came to understand he was not wearing his own piss, but somebody else's and did they have anyway he could not continue to do so. He asked for a blanket ha he could wear like a toga for the remainder of the journey. I should mention this is a fairly portly fellow, a Homer Simpson build. The staff were quick to offer him a plastic bag for his wet clothing and a pair of pyjama pants from first class. Then he was all "I'm free balling under these!" And gave a good air thrust. Needless to say the sweet senorita fairly quickly excuse herself at the end of the story and went to bed. He was all "you guys looked pretty cosy when I arrived. I thought she wanted to fuck you?" I did my friend...I did too.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I am not the most subtle of people and we have a pretty good understanding of each other after all these years of brothering. I don't know how he missed it! If he was a good wingman I should have been able to have be early and another later!

I had a similar incident in Japan a few years later. I met a Spanish girl. But there was 6 guys and her in the pension. She wanted to play cards, lucky I'm generally pretty good at card games and a few of the guys were clients of mine. One of whom is a good wingman. The group quickly whistles down to wingman, Spanish, and me. Wingman pulls off into the clouds and leaves us alone. And we start some negotiations and within a few minutes one of my clients arrives fresh from Tokyo airport. It's about 1am...now I should add his guys has been a friend of mine since we were maybe 15. Over all those years he was the greatest of wingmen and alibies. Whenever there was need for back up he was an absolute rock solid go to. So why...? Why? Fucking why did he not read this situation an head straight for his room?

Instead, carried away with enthusiasm for the first night of his trip, he introduces himself with "what do you think of my pants?" Sure...they were a little odd, ok they were really odd. Why the fuck are you wearing flannel pyjama pants? Should have just said "you look ready for bed...good night." But stupid me got drawn into the story of a man who had suffered explosive diarrhoea halfway between Sydney and Tokyo. And if that brief overview wasn't a boner killer, he was unnecessarily grafic about the situation. Now I know you're probably thinking he must has got shit on his travel pants and could only find his pyjamas. That is incorrect. You see in his haste to explode safely on the flight he had not noticed the large amount of piss on the floor of the toilet as he sat down. But when he finally pulled his pants up they were soaked with piss. He then spoke with the cabin staff who thought he had pissed himself... eventually they came to understand he was not wearing his own piss, but somebody else's and did they have anyway he could not continue to do so. He asked for a blanket ha he could wear like a toga for the remainder of the journey. I should mention this is a fairly portly fellow, a Homer Simpson build. The staff were quick to offer him a plastic bag for his wet clothing and a pair of pyjama pants from first class. Then he was all "I'm free balling under these!" And gave a good air thrust. Needless to say the sweet senorita fairly quickly excuse herself at the end of the story and went to bed. He was all "you guys looked pretty cosy when I arrived. I thought she wanted to fuck you?" I did my friend...I did too.
Sounds like some of my exploits as a younger man, my brother was an absolute prick, he couldn't pickup in a brothel.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Road raging fuckwits. I pulled into the right lane in an adequate gap between two utes this morning doing the same speed (100km/h) as them, but the rear most one was not happy so he decided to accelerate, tailgate me and flash, then backed off to a reasonable tailgating distance. Then in the right lane a slower car was ahead, so ute decides to undertake me. Then reached the slower car in the left lane but hasn't passed me, and I'm blocking him in (not intentionally, I just continued to follow car in front and dickhead got stuck) because left and right lanes are now doing similar speeds.

He's sitting beside us and my wife gave him the bird, so he decided to swerve his ute towards us because that's what real men do when a woman in the passenger seat of a small hatchback stickes their finger up. What a legend, I wish I was that gutsy.

I turned off soon after and he continued to wherever he was running late for, as all tradies should be at work by 8:40 but this cunt obviously had too much piss last night and too much Monster this morning.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Hearing talk about potential for surgery cancellations for Vic due to Covid has me nervous, currently down to 8 days till surgery then I hear talk of this on the radio. Just need to get through to the end of next week, to say I’m getting sick of the injury is an understatement.
I hear ya mate. My son is on the waitlist for his 3rd surgery in 12 months (one was emergency). Whilst he is category 2, realistically we will likely be waiting longer than 6 months.
I hope you don't have any delays to your surgery next week @cammas

Road raging fuckwits. I pulled into the right lane in an adequate gap between two utes this morning doing the same speed (100km/h) as them, but the rear most one was not happy so he decided to accelerate, tailgate me and flash, then backed off to a reasonable tailgating distance. Then in the right lane a slower car was ahead, so ute decides to undertake me. Then reached the slower car in the left lane but hasn't passed me, and I'm blocking him in (not intentionally, I just continued to follow car in front and dickhead got stuck) because left and right lanes are now doing similar speeds.

He's sitting beside us and my wife gave him the bird, so he decided to swerve his ute towards us because that's what real men do when a woman in the passenger seat of a small hatchback stickes their finger up. What a legend, I wish I was that gutsy.

I turned off soon after and he continued to wherever he was running late for, as all tradies should be at work by 8:40 but this cunt obviously had too much piss last night and too much Monster this morning.
Must be something in the air today. We saw a crazed bogan overtake someone in a 50km/h zone, and as he cut back into the lane he very nearly ran them off the road. Then proceeded to reach some excessive speeds before having to brake heavily for an intersection.
So much aggression for very little gain.