What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Beautiful morning here in Lenah Valley. Got off just before 7:30 as it was getting light enough. Up over Kncklofty and down into South Hobart. Followed the Hobart Rivulet on the recently posted video up past the brewery into Old Farm Road. Up Fish Fingers to Golden Valley, Main Fire Road and onto the New Town Connector back to Pottery Road and home. Stayed on fire roads as I have been warned about doing anything too stupid just before we leave.
Great morning to be out!
View attachment 391037
Hobart from the Knocklofty lookout about 7:30 am.
View attachment 391038
A quick breather at the junction of Main Fire Trail and New Town Connector.
Some solid climbing in all that!

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
In the interest of tidying up the cockpit, I have got a DS2 shifter on the way. Just wondering what the washup was on the 2 vs 3 clamp blocks in the DS2' you guys have?
On the last cable install I did I noticed that the spare cable clamp had the cable fixing screw sitting up fairly high which contacted the cable passing above.

I screwed that clamp screw in as far as I could and the cable over the top now has a much straighter line to follow and nothing to rub it as you change gears.

So far, so good...

I mean you could take the spare out all together, but I figured that if I took it out, that'd probably be the last I'd see of it.

Shorsau

Likes Dirt
On the last cable install I did I noticed that the spare cable clamp had the cable fixing screw sitting up fairly high which contacted the cable passing above.

I screwed that clamp screw in as far as I could and the cable over the top now has a much straighter line to follow and nothing to rub it as you change gears.

So far, so good...

I mean you could take the spare out all together, but I figured that if I took it out, that'd probably be the last I'd see of it.
Roger that @wkkie..will do the same when this one gets here. Reasonably priced, and should get it by xmas.

Pinion H2.R Freilauf & Dichtung P7990 Freilaufkörper (PI7990)1
67,18 EUR​
67,18 EUR​

PINION Schaltseilzug Montageset universal P8957 + P8954 (PI9999)1
14,24 EUR​
14,24 EUR​

PINION Schaltgriff DS2 Dreh- Schaltgriff DS2.9 für P1.9 + C1.9 Getriebe schwarz P5562 (PI5562-0001)1
49,58 EUR​
49,58 EUR​

DHL Welt1
40,00 EUR​
40,00 EUR​

Gesamtsumme:
171,01 EUR

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
I've been WFH and looking after the kids for a bit during the day while my Wife is at the back end of her COVID infection
My kids and I are all negative, so took my eldest son out to the pumptrack while it was quiet.
He loves going and I like going with him. 30psi in the tyres and rear shock locked out can get me round once
Think I need to save up for my theoretical pipedream urban assault hardtail so I can have a bit more fun

BurnieM

Likes Dirt
Not really a review.

Fitting the Flo levers was straight forward.
Removing the pins was not as hard as others have experienced (but the levers are only 2 months old).
Can see how it would be easy to lose the springs. 5 minute job.

Flo levers are slightly longer and straighter than the Shimanos.
Lever blade is more rounded whereas the Shimano is a little squarish.
Build quality is very good with no rough edges.
Braking felt a little smoother (but this is probably me trying to justify spending too much).
Main justification is crash resistance which is yet to be tested.

Wank value 5/10. You could increase this by selecting a coloured lever or oil slick (they call it jet fuel) for ultimate WV.

All testing done on the road outside my house measured at 11 degrees with Clinometer.

https://flomotorsports.com/products/copy-of-beta-brake-lever-1
10% discount code - new10off

Pics;

Last edited:

Haakon

Keeps on digging
That looks like a nice bling addition for the Deore levers on the Orange. I didnt think id miss the tool free reach adjustment, but I really do... And I can get orange anno ones :)

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
New handlebar & cables on #2 bike, and.... brace yourselves.... I've broken the 700mm barrier! :oops: A few years ago #1 had been stretched out to 680mm from the 600 I used to use, but #2 kept its 590, and first ride back on it a couple of weeks ago was bloody sketchy! 710 was the shortest flat carbon bar I could find, so it gives me scope to trim back to 680 if I want to.

Gear & lockout cables naturally were way too short for the wider bar so new outers to suit; new inner cable for the rear derailleur, swap the old one to the FD, and swap the old FD cable to the lockout. Brakes had been swapped across from #1 when I got it, which originally had a longish bar, so they fitted straight back on.

Still a bit unsure about shifter & brake lever setup; the M775 levers are a fair bit longer than the M666s (which are M785s with the stroke adjust deleted), so I've moved them in a bit, but that then fucks up the shifter reach for my stumpy thumbs. However, the M770 shifters have two mounting positions for the bar clamp onto the shifter housing, which gives a bit of flexibility. I'm not sure, but it may be possible the swap the clamps L-R, which might offer a bit more fine-tuning. I'll see how the current setup feels in the wild tomorrow before doing any more tinkering.

And while hunting around the usual dodgy sites to see if anyone is offloading my nicked #1 bike, I saw an ad selling an identical frame to mine, in Melbourne! :D (It's not mine that's been stripped, it doesn't have the shifter bites), which set the wheels ticking... Thinking about buying it and building it up, or just to have as a spare frame if #1 comes back.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I did send a message, but no reply yet. Would be sweet to get hold of appropriate-era XTR to put on it....
What, not wanting to run a 10-51t cassette on a 26in wheel? Think of the size of the triple rings you could run up front!

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
The cassette would be almost as big as the wheel, and the derailleur would be dragging on the ground!

I'd really like someone to offer an 11-38 11-sp. cassette, basically a 10-sp. 11-34, which has a deliciously slick & useful mid-range, with an added low gear.

Last edited:

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Actually rode it for the first time in 3 months. Confirmed can still ride, niggly injuries didn't bother me much and the bike went well. Hit a baby head sized rock in the middle of the track at good speed and it made quite the noise as it deflected off my rim and spokes, just a scratch on the rim. Got quite a nasty scuff on the down tube, I think a skateboard's grip tape rubbed against it in the storage room.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Celebrated Perth’s annual rainy day by installing a new seat and dropper. Sad to see the super comfy Liv saddle go, but it seemed like the right time to put the new WTB on (2021 Xmas gift from the kids). 190 dropper feels nice compared to the old 130.

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
Celebrated Perth’s annual rainy day by installing a new seat and dropper. Sad to see the super comfy Liv saddle go, but it seemed like the right time to put the new WTB on (2021 Xmas gift from the kids). 190 dropper feels nice compared to the old 130.

View attachment 391123
I’m hoping it eases off enough soon so I can get out for an early trip to Kalamunda and not get drenched and muddy

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Today we managed to join the dots between two of our (new to us) local trails. We’d seen serious xc looking dudes appearing out of nowhere near the beach top trail… but we weren’t sure how they got there. Now we know. It almost doubles the distance of single track of our favourite local ride.

Plus an added bonus, we found another sign posted track, that may link up to the whole thing. Will explore it tomorrow.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Took a group of kiddos around the comm games loop they'll be doing at the upcoming schools race. We only did a lap but stopped at all the features to talk about lines and the fastest vs easiest routes around everything. It's been a long time since I've given any real thought to some of these features, and a few of these kids managed these things for the first time today

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Rode it, then did some minor cockpit tweakage. Rolled the bar forward a tad to give a bit of upsweep, as it was concentating pressure in the crooks of my thumbs where it was. Also swapped the shifter clamps around, which has put the levers in a much better position.

Still waiting for a response on the carbon frame....