BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

moorey

call me Mia
With some inside knowledge on the matter - why rank them when they all suit slightly different purposes?
Because that’s how the world works. Give a mark /10 for ease of use, weight, price, rigidity, quality finish etc, for a total /50.
If price is your only concern go for the one with best price score. If ease of use is most important, go for that.
An overall score will help influence many peoples choice towards the best all round rack rather that just considering one criteria.

latheboy

Likes Dirt
Because that’s how the world works. Give a mark /10 for ease of use, weight, price, rigidity, quality finish etc, for a total /50.
If price is your only concern go for the one with best price score. If ease of use is most important, go for that.
An overall score will help influence many peoples choice towards the best all round rack rather that just considering one criteria.
Yes but you risk upsetting a sponsor and loose all their moneys

Smiker

Likes Dirt
Not convinced - it's very subjective. Weight, price, warranty and weight limit are fact based. The rest? Up for interpretation. DM if you like!

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Not convinced - it's very subjective. Weight, price, warranty and weight limit are fact based. The rest? Up for interpretation. DM if you like!
I call bullshit. If they suit different purposes then state what they are good for and which is best for that service. Still bullshit because they are all about carrying bikes. This smells more like everyone's a winner baby.

Smiker

Likes Dirt
I call bullshit. If they suit different purposes then state what they are good for and which is best for that service. Still bullshit because they are all about carrying bikes. This smells more like everyone's a winner baby.
'If they suit different purposes then state what they are good for and which is best for that service'

Did you watch it or read it? Or just commenting? Pretty sure that's covered...

latheboy

Likes Dirt
All this would need is a simple spread sheet with....
Cost, weight, number of tie points, carrying load, overhang from pin center dimension, tilt or none tilt, swinger(hehe), coating type, material/s type/s.

2 or 3 pros/cons and let people make up their own mind.

This might even be done in the mag and left out of the video.
Why buy the mag when you get the info for free on YouTube?

Sheepie

Likes Bikes
All this would need is a simple spread sheet with....
Cost, weight, number of tie points, carrying load, overhang from pin center dimension, tilt or none tilt, swinger(hehe), coating type, material/s type/s.

2 or 3 pros/cons and let people make up their own mind.

This might even be done in the mag and left out of the video.
Why buy the mag when you get the info for free on YouTube?
The magazine is a little more in-depth with standardized sections and a page for each rack - a lot of what you’ve asked for is in there, it might make the comparison easier for those that were hoping for rankings?

they really did a lot of work in testing all the racks - I think they were pretty fair and unbiased in looking at all the racks.

latheboy

Likes Dirt
Really all we need is...

Does it hold a bike.. tick
Did said bike fall off... No
Cost...

Done..

Haha
I'll buy the mag, first one in 10 years.. mags are shit.. interested in the review but I'll still keep making my own

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Even though they are all vertical racks, for the consumer you will have different needs from the next person. For my rack, I wanted easy access to the tailgate of my RAV4, and be quick and easy to load. I wasn't going to take the rack on and off much at all and I preferred quality over price. Other people will have different requirements, they might not leave the rack on, so ease of fitment and weight will be considered. They might be on a tight budget so cost might be a priority.
They might not need to pick a "winner" but listing the pros and cons of each rack will help you make a more educated decision. I'll check out the mag for sure.

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The AMB comparison would be good if you were in the market for a vertical rack but had no idea what you’re looking for! Agree with other comments though it didn’t pick which rack was king! Or don’t go near this rack etc.! The commentary about needed 2 people to put a rack on/off made me chuckle (read on).

I purchased a fabricated 4 x vertical rack earlier this year - found the guy on Facebook marketplace and we had some discussions before it was made. I’m pretty happy with it - good clean welds, good finish (painted black), it has good ground clearance, holds the bikes on tight with a simple strap system, it tilts for access to hatch and is pretty light (I can put it on/off the car by myself no dramas). It was also a fair bit cheaper than the commercial offerings. Interestingly I’ve seen the guy that makes the kits attack the guy I bought my rack from online - I thought this was out of line (but who am I to judge!)

I think the arguments around legalities is all relative - I’ve had multiple highway patrols follow me/drive beside me with my current setup and have had no trouble. I’ve made sure my auxiliary plate is clearly displayed (by simply zip tying it to the rack!). Honestly I don’t think the police would be interested unless the setup looks dodgy!

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I'm looking for a rear mount rack that will hold two bikes, one with 29 wheels and the wheel base of the modern geo bikes.

Of course I like the gripsport racks and others of that standard, but I'm not looking to fork out well over $1k for this - I just don't feel that it's required for something that's relatively simple (happy to hear disagreement on what this is ignorant).

Are there any decent options out there for around $800 that people have experience with? Or even better, any around that price point that I should avoid?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I have the isi two bike jobbie and it has been excellent. Are they in budget? Mine does any combination of two of...large 26" fatbike or Weirdarse lefty 29er or 27.5 dually or xs 26" hardtail step through thingy. George was great to deal with, he even gave me some info so I could make a copy base to fit my camper.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I have the isi two bike jobbie and it has been excellent. Are they in budget? Mine does any combination of two of...large 26" fatbike or Weirdarse lefty 29er or 27.5 dually or xs 26" hardtail step through thingy. George was great to deal with, he even gave me some info so I could make a copy base to fit my camper.
Yeah, they look right up my ally. Thanks!