The cooking thread

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
That's a lot of pasta! I can never get that many layers with the amount of ingredients I have.
10 layers, I usually only do 4 layers of each but bumped it up to 5 this time because I made too much pasta (700g flour & 7 eggs gave me 10 sheets), probably made it too high though and that's why it got a bit crunchy on the edges.

from the bottom up

pasta, bolognaise, pasta, bechamel, pasta, bol, pasta, bec, pasta, bol, pasta, bec, pasta, bol, pasta, bec, pasta, bol, pasta, bec, Mozarella and Gruyere.

Last edited:

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Did catch a nice fish a coupla weeks ago, a solid 8kg pink snapper which was my first decent sized specimen. Set about maximum utilization of it, made stock from the head and frame, lots of nice fillet to eat fresh and freeze some. The wings were delicious ! The other day I defrosted some of the stock and had a crack at making seafood chowder. Due to the scarcity of non-imported other bits of seafood, I only had prawns and some of the fillet as seafood components. Was very tasty but will be better next batch

Attachments

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Good, how much fucking betterer is proper home made studff?

Once you make it yourself you'll constantly be disappointed with jar paste/sauces and spending 1/2 an hour doing a big batch of it works out really well. A massamam is another one I do and always have some in the freezer.

Last edited:

Freediver

I can go full Karen
Did catch a nice fish a coupla weeks ago, a solid 8kg pink snapper which was my first decent sized specimen. Set about maximum utilization of it, made stock from the head and frame, lots of nice fillet to eat fresh and freeze some. The wings were delicious ! The other day I defrosted some of the stock and had a crack at making seafood chowder. Due to the scarcity of non-imported other bits of seafood, I only had prawns and some of the fillet as seafood components. Was very tasty but will be better next batch
How did you find the bigger snapper compared to a pan size, meal for two sized snapper? I find the smaller ones so much much sweeter and don't (can't) shoot the big ones anymore.
Well done using the whole fish, I see so many frames thrown away and the worse thing is the frames that are thrown by people who won't watch a video on how to fillet. Half the meat is still on the bones.

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How did you find the bigger snapper compared to a pan size, meal for two sized snapper?
We have a 50cm minimum size here, which was the size of the first keeper I caught, so I haven’t had much of a selection to taste test yet. I’m fishing from a tinny, anchor and burleying through sunset in close. They put up a good fight on PE2, I get bored soaking baits so I fish the burley trail with a light outfit to catch fresh baits like tommy ruff and yakkas.
Had very nice snapper sashimi from both fish but they were too long apart for me to compare