What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Then it happened, I would like to say publicly that the trail gods are one of my favourite gods.

Shortly after the initial success, the trail gods sayeth..'Thou dost mortal of tyre snigger......the rotation arrow is pointing in an ungodly way. Fixeth, thy will or face will be lost forthwith'.

Sure enough, tyre was on backwards.

Here we go again. All is right in the world and some proof that is isn't a one off. There is bit of trick to seating the bead on both sides of the rim but still works.

View attachment 390685
Have you had trouble mounting tyres on these same rims before @Mr Crudley?

beeb

No sir. These are spanky fresh new wheels.

My slackarserey and sneaking off to ride instead of fiddling with bike bits have pushed it back. Any ride outranks a bike fix :)
Interesting, on my Nextie rims I can normally seat the tyre with a hand pump (standard valves), but I have had some deeply veed rim beds that wouldn’t seat with certain tyre combos even with a compressor where some high-flow valves might have made life easier.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Interesting, on my Nextie rims I can normally seat the tyre with a hand pump (standard valves), but I have had some deeply veed rim beds that wouldn’t seat with certain tyre combos even with a compressor where some high-flow valves might have made life easier.
There is no room left in my humble bike shed for a compressor.
I was thinking of one of those tyre inflator bag pipe thingys like this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001252806482.html

Maxxis always were tough to seat at the best of times for me. Drags the harsh language out of you.

crash3

Likes Dirt
There is no room left in my humble bike shed for a compressor.
I was thinking of one of those tyre inflator bag pipe thingys like this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001252806482.html

Maxxis always were tough to seat at the best of times for me. Drags the harsh language out of you.
Could try the bodgy coke bottle tyre inflator:

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
The only time I've had trouble seating Maxxis tyres was when I was going semi-ghetto using (theoretically) non-tubeless tyres in a tubeless setup, the beads were too loose on the rims & needed a lot of massaging to get enough engagement to hold air. The proper tubeless tyres have always been a breeze (almost literally) to seat & seal, on a variety of rims.

beeb

The only time I've had trouble seating Maxxis tyres was when I was going semi-ghetto using (theoretically) non-tubeless tyres in a tubeless setup, the beads were too loose on the rims & needed a lot of massaging to get enough engagement to hold air. The proper tubeless tyres have always been a breeze (almost literally) to seat & seal, on a variety of rims.
Same for me.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Get an airshot. Love mine. I don't use the compressor since I got it.
Yep.

Can always use a bigger disc, yeah? 9s the new 6.. or am I watching the wrong stuff.
A mate was telling me he'd read something about using bigger rotors on the back. Because most of your braking is done with the back wheeel when you are going fast down hills... I think it was this article.

BurnieM

Likes Dirt
The physics is pretty straight forward; most of your braking is being done by the wheel with the most weight on it.
More weight equals more grip equals more ability to slow you down.

Not saying that a bigger rotor at the rear may not give you better 'feel' but it will not give you better braking.

Last edited:

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The physics is pretty straight forward; most of your braking is being done by the wheel with the most weight on it.
More weight equals more grip equals more ability to slow you down.

Not saying that a bigger rotor at the rear will not give you better 'feel' but it will not give you better braking.
I'm with you on this one. Personal experience is enough for me to say that bigger rear rotor being better is rubbish.