Theoretical pipedream stuffabout hoon bike

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
Another thread that will likely not come to anything, but have realised with recent bike upgrades I have at least some of a new build (well forks, stem and bars anyway...) and have been thinking about putting together a bike to stuff about with the kids at the pumptrack on, but can also ride with the fam and maybe take on a GRoad (shudder) adventure rather than taking out the Prime.

I've got some 140mm Z2s I can put a 120mm shaft in and looking to pick up the following:
  • Frame - thinking a Honzo or similar. Maybe an ally Ragley or Nukeproof
    • Likely to be SS initially but capable of taking a mech
    • External routing a bonus so I can mess it up myself
  • Boost wheels - these come up pretty regularly on FaceAche, or I can treat the prime to some Hunts or similar
  • Brakes
  • Tyres
    • Given I'll be doing more road time than offroad, maybe a Schwalbe Marathon or similar will work
  • Dropper
    • As this will spend its time either all the way up or all the way down, maybe a manual dropper would work, unless I upgrade the Prime and switch over
Anyway, thats what I'm looking at and reckon I can do this reasonably cheaply

Anyone done something similar? And any suggestions on kitting it out?

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
I have a pair of new Maxxis Hookworms in my shed. Sounds like they would be a good fit.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Another thread that will likely not come to anything, but have realised with recent bike upgrades I have at least some of a new build (well forks, stem and bars anyway...) and have been thinking about putting together a bike to stuff about with the kids at the pumptrack on, but can also ride with the fam and maybe take on a GRoad (shudder) adventure rather than taking out the Prime.

I've got some 140mm Z2s I can put a 120mm shaft in and looking to pick up the following:
  • Frame - thinking a Honzo or similar. Maybe an ally Ragley or Nukeproof
    • Likely to be SS initially but capable of taking a mech
    • External routing a bonus so I can mess it up myself
  • Boost wheels - these come up pretty regularly on FaceAche, or I can treat the prime to some Hunts or similar
  • Brakes
  • Tyres
    • Given I'll be doing more road time than offroad, maybe a Schwalbe Marathon or similar will work
  • Dropper
    • As this will spend its time either all the way up or all the way down, maybe a manual dropper would work, unless I upgrade the Prime and switch over
Anyway, thats what I'm looking at and reckon I can do this reasonably cheaply

Anyone done something similar? And any suggestions on kitting it out?
Pretty much done this with the Twinzer. 100mm SID fork, 29er wheels, 2" XC tyres (Vittoria Teranno) though moving to some stiffer walled gravel tyres is on the cards, PNW Rainer dropper, 2x10 gearing...does most things that don't involve hectic descents. Just don't ride it enough!!

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I’ve been hambo-ing for a Chinese HT myself, if you went that route you’d be good for sub $1500 with wheels.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Ha, I did actually look at one! Sirius rather than Moxie though
Ha, I was going to link to that but thought “No wait, he said he already had a fork…”.

I got as far as “140mm Z2s” and stopped. :oops: