The gaming thread

smaj

Likes Dirt
I saw info on reddit that showed that it cost in excess of $100,000 to max a character.
Heh, they really do push the microtransactions on you. Luckily, I'm in no rush.

FYI this months' Humble Bundle looks good: https://www.humblebundle.com/games/capcom-summer-2022-bundle
  • Monster Hunter: World
  • Devil May Cry 5
  • DMC HD Collection
  • Monster Hunter Rise
  • Street Fighter V
  • Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
  • DmC: Devil May Cry
  • Ultra Street Fighter IV
  • Street Fighter V - Champion Edition
  • Strider
  • Bionic Commando

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
#^%#%^# my logitech G430 headset finally broke today.
Looking for a reasonable to good bang-for-the-buck headset/headphones for gaming and watching youtube. Can be usb or 3.5mm jack with option of 3.5mm to USB adaptor (like the G430). don't really mind which, but I guess straight usb is good. as long as I can plug it into the lappy and the PS4.
don't reaaally want to spend more than $100. preferably less.
Any suggestions, Burners?

ForkinGreat

Anyways, I found a wired Steelseries Arctis 3 headset (multiplatform) on Amazon AU for $98. dunno if that's a good price, but it was less than JBhifi, and everywhere else I looked. can plug it into the lappy with the 3.5mm jack, or into the PS controller for stealthy gaming. It will beat the sheeit out of using earbuds for sure. arriving in a few days via the slave workforce of the local Amazon gulag.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
There's a glitch in the GT7 matrix... You can basically get unlimited engine swaps with the most recent challenges. Just need to log out and then rewatch the video you get at the end of the challenge and boom there it is.

Last edited:

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
There's a glitch in the GT7 matrix... You can basically get unlimited engine swaps with the most recent challenges. Just need to log out and then rewatch the video you get at the end of the challenge and boom there it is.
I don't even have the game and this excites me!

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
I don't even have the game and this excites me!
love finding glitches.

its been a while since i played any GT games, but i do recall in GT1 there was a particular race that was dead easy, cost of entry was some shitty car that required almost no upgrades to smash the competition and the prize was a stupid 300k for first place. It was so stupid that i doubt it was intentional. Race took 3-5 mins to complete. This one race basically funded my entire garage back in the day

ForkinGreat

I'm looking to get a new PC or laptop to play the many steam games I've bought over many years. My current gaming PC has now been demoted to predominantly for streaming (home entertainment job). Saw Dell G15 on sale for $849 at JB. Are they any good? https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/dell-g15-15-6-fhd-120hz-gaming-laptop-intel-i5-gtx-1650
Just one opinion, but I bought a gaming laptop (MSI) for games and general use a few years back, and one thing I noticed is that playing most/all games, it would get frikken hot and the little fans would be revving their rings out trying to keep the components from overheating. the heat coming off the side of my laptop when going hard is a bit disturbing.
I would be looking at a desktop case system with decent cooling for around the same money or a little more if the budget will stretch.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Just one opinion, but I bought a gaming laptop (MSI) for games and general use a few years back, and one thing I noticed is that playing most/all games, it would get frikken hot and the little fans would be revving their rings out trying to keep the components from overheating. the heat coming off the side of my laptop when going hard is a bit disturbing.
I would be looking at a desktop case system with decent cooling for around the same money or a little more if the budget will stretch.
Not being a computer bloke, my wife's work laptop does this when running AutoCAD remote....

gippyz

Likes Dirt
Yeah sounds like a terrible idea. Perhaps I should just take my PC back and upgrade it - hoping the psu is big enough, or just wait for steam deck to land down under. Steam deck looks very promising.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
It's very much dependant on the cooling design and heat the system generates. The 15" alienwares my kids had were pretty noisy with i7s and 970s, but wifeys 13" with an 850 is pretty quiet. My old metabox with a 1070 wound up when gaming but was almost silent under normal operation. My current infinity with a 3060 is silent most of the time, only makes noise under proper stress and even then it's barely half the noise of the metabox.

The other thing to note is that this usually doesn't bother you when you've got headphones on and you're busy ripping demon heads apart to Mick Gordon's thumping metal soundtracks

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Minlak

custom titis
mine will also get hot sometimes with non-gaming net stuff. nfi why.
Do you have google chrome open? It is a resource hog on occasion my chrome will run my cpu at 100% especially the longer I have it open and quite often when I have facebook open in chrome

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I'm looking to get a new PC or laptop to play the many steam games I've bought over many years. My current gaming PC has now been demoted to predominantly for streaming (home entertainment job). Saw Dell G15 on sale for $849 at JB. Are they any good? https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/dell-g15-15-6-fhd-120hz-gaming-laptop-intel-i5-gtx-1650
I'd lash out a couple of dollars more for a current generation gpu, the 16 series goes back a ways now. I don't know if there is any correlation between heat and the upgrade to the 30 series, but my 3060 runs cool and quiet

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

ForkinGreat

Do you have google chrome open? It is a resource hog on occasion my chrome will run my cpu at 100% especially the longer I have it open and quite often when I have facebook open in chrome
nah, Firefox. Faceborg may be a culprit, maybe youtube? and having too many #$@# browser tabs open. it's a bit old too (7-8yrs!!) , but it Always runs hot gaming. quiet and relatively cool as I'm typing this, but FB not open in any tab.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
gaming on a laptop sounds great, until you game on a laptop.

IMO go balls to the wall and build your own desktop set up. Will usually be solid for several years. Over time, it works out pretty well. Wifey's last build completed 4 years ago still plays current titles on max settings. Not something you could hope to do with a low spec laptop.